Snaremans trap anchors

I have made some trap and snare anchors similar to the designs snareman has shared with us.

One I used 2mm fox wire with a washer on for fenns and the other type is copper coated steel welding rod I use for body grips. I have adapted a mole probe to push them in with, kindly supplied by Matt the Rat.

Different sizes. There are places here where I can push the probe in 4 feet :icon_eek: very sandy soil.

moto_0714.jpg

Pushing the probe in first tells me what size of anchor I can get away with.

moto_0715.jpg

This shot is just to show how the washer sits in the probe, of course you would clean the muck out first normally... :icon_redface:

moto_0717.jpg

In situ under the bait station for squirrels and the rats that have taken up residence, living on the throw away maize from the squirrels. This one has a wire swivel and quick clip attached.

moto_0718.jpg

This one is on a permanent set for squirrels under an oak, because of foxes in the area I didn't fancy losing a body grip if charlie decides to run off with a catch.

moto_0720.jpg

All baited and set.

moto_0722.jpg

H

I have made some trap and snare anchors similar to the designs snareman has shared with us.

One I used 2mm fox wire with a washer on for fenns and the other type is copper coated steel welding rod I use for body grips. I have adapted a mole probe to push them in with, kindly supplied by Matt the Rat.

Different sizes. There are places here where I can push the probe in 4 feet :icon_eek: very sandy soil.

Pushing the probe in first tells me what size of anchor I can get away with.

This shot is just to show how the washer sits in the probe, of course you would clean the muck out first normally... :icon_redface:

In situ under the bait station for squirrels and the rats that have taken up residence, living on the throw away maize from the squirrels. This one has a wire swivel and quick clip attached.

This one is on a permanent set for squirrels under an oak, because of foxes in the area I didn't fancy losing a body grip if charlie decides to run off with a catch.

All baited and set.

H

Now then, this is going to sound bitter and twisted, however, here we go.

I am 57 years old, and I'd never came across anything as absolutely knowledge based, about snaring, as I did when I stumbled upon Mr Waters's :notworthy: articles on here. I was not a novice, but also I'm first to admit I don't work in any way as or like a pro. I'm a pot hunter, who carries out odd bits and pieces of clearance work for farmers locally. I'm self taught but had enough contact with a man taught by a pro to know the basics. THAT'S HOW I KNEW SNAREMAN WAS THE REAL DEAL.

We now have people posting and cashing in on Glenns work to advertise there goods.

Ian B, the only reason I'm not a donater is because my Paypal got hacked, but if you don't restrict the folk cashing in on Glenns articles, then you'll lose good folk from your site.

Everything they post has an advert on the end. Very little or no new input, but an advert, every time. It isn't fair, but perhaps it doesn't matter to most. It does however matter to me. If you have any integrity, then ban adverts other than word of mouth adverts as before. regards ian.

Edited by john b
Removal of repeated pics

I think you are being harsh there Ian.

I can only speak for myself here, but I'll have a go anyway...

I've sold Fenn traps for a number of years, mainly via word of mouth. I make little or no money from it, but do it because I like their stuff.

Recently, I've started selling traps online, mainly because I'm fed up with seeing people get ripped off with cheap fake copies. Is that so wrong?

As far as signature promotion goes, how many times do we get asked on here, 'where can I get x?'. Yes, it's promotion of sorts, but it doesn't take anything away from the forum, and, IMHO, as long as it's subtle, actually adds to the place by providing information.

The post which seems to have started this off is about trap anchors, which (as acknowledged by the author) were invented by Glenn. It was me that originally asked Trapworks to make them, as I dont have the time (or skills) to make them myself. If people see these things being used, it is more likely that they will use them themselves, no matter where they get them from.

I've myself posted a thread recently about natural tunnels for Fenns. You could easily argue that it was to promote Fenn traps, but it wasn't. It was done to highlight the fact that the best tunnels are made from materials found in the imeadiate locality, and that even a muppet like me can put them together in little time.

This is a forum. It is a place to share knowledge and information, and discuss ideas and theories. I cannot see a problem with that.

Well I'm sorry you feel that way Ian, I didn't post the article for that reason, first of all nothing at all was being posted in this section, and second it was to to show that some of us are grateful to snareman for sharing his knowledge and how I went about using his advice.

I wonder how many of us have spoken privately to Glenn or PM'd him to ask his permission to use his ideas? I have.

I have also said that I will would be more than happy to give all credit to Glenn and mention his name, but as usual the guy was a gent and simply said to 'get on with it, there are loads of other doing it'.

If I use any of Glenns ideas I am always happy to give credit where it is due, without him and his ideas we would still be 30 years in the past when it comes to snaring, trapping and a lot of other things.

All the best

H

Thought it was a good informative post, especially the extra mile he went to put all those black bird feathers all over and around the trap.

PS, DID I MENTION THAT I PROVIDE MOLE AND RABBIT CATCHING COURSES AND SELL TOP QUALITY RABBIT SNARES. :whistling:

I think you are being harsh there Ian.

I can only speak for myself here, but I'll have a go anyway...

I've sold Fenn traps for a number of years, mainly via word of mouth. I make little or no money from it, but do it because I like their stuff.

Recently, I've started selling traps online, mainly because I'm fed up with seeing people get ripped off with cheap fake copies. Is that so wrong?

As far as signature promotion goes, how many times do we get asked on here, 'where can I get x?'. Yes, it's promotion of sorts, but it doesn't take anything away from the forum, and, IMHO, as long as it's subtle, actually adds to the place by providing information.

The post which seems to have started this off is about trap anchors, which (as acknowledged by the author) were invented by Glenn. It was me that originally asked Trapworks to make them, as I dont have the time (or skills) to make them myself. If people see these things being used, it is more likely that they will use them themselves, no matter where they get them from.

I've myself posted a thread recently about natural tunnels for Fenns. You could easily argue that it was to promote Fenn traps, but it wasn't. It was done to highlight the fact that the best tunnels are made from materials found in the imeadiate locality, and that even a muppet like me can put them together in little time.

This is a forum. It is a place to share knowledge and information, and discuss ideas and theories. I cannot see a problem with that.

Hi Matt, Nowt personal mate, it just seems a bit unfair to me, when the guy gives up a few of his hard earned secrets, only to have folk apparently cashing in on it. I've had no-one who agrees with me post anything, so perhaps it's me that's wrong and if I am then I'm sorry, however I'm yet to be convinced. It is not a personal attack, just that I feel the adverts are wrong. Ian B' hasn't objected and it's his site. I'll try not to bring it up again. ian

Well I'm sorry you feel that way Ian, I didn't post the article for that reason, first of all nothing at all was being posted in this section, and second it was to to show that some of us are grateful to snareman for sharing his knowledge and how I went about using his advice.

I wonder how many of us have spoken privately to Glenn or PM'd him to ask his permission to use his ideas? I have.

I have also said that I will would be more than happy to give all credit to Glenn and mention his name, but as usual the guy was a gent and simply said to 'get on with it, there are loads of other doing it'.

If I use any of Glenns ideas I am always happy to give credit where it is due, without him and his ideas we would still be 30 years in the past when it comes to snaring, trapping and a lot of other things.

All the best

H

Hi H' please read my reply to Matt as it applies to you too. It is not a personal thing, and it's an excellent post, as I said, Ian B' hasn't objected so I'll try to behave myself. Hope I didn't offend, ian.

Hi Matt, Nowt personal mate, it just seems a bit unfair to me, when the guy gives up a few of his hard earned secrets, only to have folk apparently cashing in on it. I've had no-one who agrees with me post anything, so perhaps it's me that's wrong and if I am then I'm sorry, however I'm yet to be convinced. It is not a personal attack, just that I feel the adverts are wrong. Ian B' hasn't objected and it's his site. I'll try not to bring it up again. ian

Ian

I can see where you are coming from... Glenn has given far more to the trapping community than any of us could ever repay, and if you suspected that people were taking advantage, you are quite right to raise it as a subject.

If you re-read the post in question, Holdaway has clearly credited the idea to Glenn in the title, and it looks like he has asked for Glenn to give him his blessing for production. As originally stated in the articles by Glenn, most of these anchors are available from the US (I've bought some myself from Northwest Trappers in the past).

In terms of signature advertising, I did PM Ian when I first started promoting Pestpro on here, as I felt it was the decent thing to do. I still think that subtle signiture advertising (as used by many contributors)is fine, but I can understand people thinking that some may take advantage.

Lets keep the interesting, informative and helpful posts coming, and not worry too much about people who are just trying to make a couple of quid.

The thing thats pissed glenn and others off a bit, is the fact that hes shared some information and people are just using it to make snares and related items then selling them on for profit.....

I think this is just simple free market economics.

The Intellectual Property belongs to Glenn - no question. He's published it on here so it's free and available to everyone and good on him. No one can take those ideas or techniques and claim them as their own. Nor can they take them and withhold them from any one else.

Equal access for all.

Now the truth is that despite that, there are a large proportion of people who are either a) unable b.) too busy, c)too idle d) want small uneconomic quanities or for any one of a number of other reasons, do not want to make their own. There are posts on this forum 2 or 3 time a week asking 'where can I buy snares ?'.

Gentlemen there is a market for these things and where there is a market there will be suppliers. On THL good old competition will drive the best possible balance of cost and quality - how long will people last on here selling rubbish ?

Face facts the information is public and there will always be people selling these things.

THL has become the spiritual home of this type of information so surely it's the best place to buy with confidence ? Why drive the trade underground ? Would you rather there was only ebay to buy from ? I wouldn't

WELL J B ,

I CAN SEE WHERE YOUR COMING FROM WITH YOUR POST ...... AND YOUR RIGHT ........ SOME LADS CANNOT / WILL NOT MAKE THEIR OWN EQUIPMENT

HOWEVER ...............

THERES FELLAS OUT THERE WHO ARENT TRAPPERS OR INDEED SNARERS ....... WHO JUST SEE THE OPPERTUNITY TO MAKE A FAST QUID ........... BY COPYING GLENNS IDEAS WITH NO KNOWLEDGE OR EXPERIENCE OFTEN USING POOR OR TOTALLY WRONG MATERIALS AS ABOVE !!!!

THATS WHY I WILL ALWAYS PUT FORWARD WOODGA AND GEORDIES NAMES AS SUPPLIERS OF TOP CLASS SNARES ETC .......... AS THEY ARENT FLY-BY-NIGHTS ..... AND HAVE BEEN SCHOOLED BY ONE OF THE BEST ......... GLEN WATERS

JOHN YOU WROTE .......

Face facts the information is public and there will always be people selling these things.

THL has become the spiritual home of this type of information

WELL ................

I WOULDNT HOLD YER BREATH FOR ANYMORE BEING POSTED BY SNAREMAN OR A FEW OTHERS ........... AND BELIVE ME , THE ARTICLES ON HERE ARE JUST THE TIP OF THE ICEBERG CONCERNING HIS TRAPPING KNOWLEDGE ........

AND ITS A TRUE SAYING .................

NOBODY LIKES TO BE TAKEN A LEND OF ..........

ITS ABOUT TIME THIS GRAVY TRAIN CAME TO A HALT ......... BEFORE IT RUINS THIS SITE

I SPEAK TO OLD SNAREMAN NEARLY EVERYDAY AND ITS REALLY HAS SICKENED HIM .........

G.W. PUT THIS INFORMATION ON THE SITE SO WORKING MEN COULD SAVE MONEY , BECOME MORE PROFESSIONAL AND HUMANE TRAPPERS AND SNARERS ..........

INSTEAD ............. FELLAS WHO 6 MONTHES AGO WOULDNT HAVE KNOWN A FIGURE FOUR TEALER FROM A CLOTHES PEG ARE NOW ADVERTISING THEM AT INFLATED PRICES ........... ITS SICKENING EVEN FOR ME TO BE HONEST !!

JOHN ......... HAVE A LOOK BACK AT THE AMOUNT OF POSTS BY SNAREMAN , WOODGA ETC .............. IN THE LAST FEW MONTHES ........................

THE AMOUNT AND TYPE TELLS A SORRY STORY ........ THE QUALITY OF POSTS AND THREADS ON THE TRAPPING SECTION HAS DROPPED MISERABLY IAM AFRAID

DUCKWING

WELL J B ,

I CAN SEE WHERE YOUR COMING FROM WITH YOUR POST ...... AND YOUR RIGHT ........ SOME LADS CANNOT / WILL NOT MAKE THEIR OWN EQUIPMENT

HOWEVER ...............

THERES FELLAS OUT THERE WHO ARENT TRAPPERS OR INDEED SNARERS ....... WHO JUST SEE THE OPPERTUNITY TO MAKE A FAST QUID ........... BY COPYING GLENNS IDEAS WITH NO KNOWLEDGE OR EXPERIENCE OFTEN USING POOR OR TOTALLY WRONG MATERIALS AS ABOVE !!!!

THATS WHY I WILL ALWAYS PUT FORWARD WOODGA AND GEORDIES NAMES AS SUPPLIERS OF TOP CLASS SNARES ETC .......... AS THEY ARENT FLY-BY-NIGHTS ..... AND HAVE BEEN SCHOOLED BY ONE OF THE BEST ......... GLEN WATERS

JOHN YOU WROTE .......

THL has become the spiritual home of this type of information

WELL ................

I WOULDNT HOLD YER BREATH FOR ANYMORE BEING POSTED BY SNAREMAN OR A FEW OTHERS ........... AND BELIVE ME , THE ARTICLES ON HERE ARE JUST THE TIP OF THE ICEBERG CONCERNING HIS TRAPPING KNOWLEDGE ........

AND ITS A TRUE SAYING .................

NOBODY LIKES TO BE TAKEN A LEND OF ..........

ITS ABOUT TIME THIS GRAVY TRAIN CAME TO A HALT ......... BEFORE IT RUINS THIS SITE

I SPEAK TO OLD SNAREMAN NEARLY EVERYDAY AND ITS REALLY HAS SICKENED HIM .........

G.W. PUT THIS INFORMATION ON THE SITE SO WORKING MEN COULD SAVE MONEY , BECOME MORE PROFESSIONAL AND HUMANE TRAPPERS AND SNARERS ..........

INSTEAD ............. FELLAS WHO 6 MONTHES AGO WOULDNT HAVE KNOWN A FIGURE FOUR TEALER FROM A CLOTHES PEG ARE NOW ADVERTISING THEM AT INFLATED PRICES ........... ITS SICKENING EVEN FOR ME TO BE HONEST !!

JOHN ......... HAVE A LOOK BACK AT THE AMOUNT OF POSTS BY SNAREMAN , WOODGA ETC .............. IN THE LAST FEW MONTHES ........................

THE AMOUNT AND TYPE TELLS A SORRY STORY ........ THE QUALITY OF POSTS AND THREADS ON THE TRAPPING SECTION HAS DROPPED MISERABLY IAM AFRAID

DUCKWING

I agree wholeheartedly with DUCKWING, you'll see no more articles of the quality that are pinned here. Suffice to say I agree with DUCKWING, his feelings on the matter sum up mine. ian.