to all lurchermen

hello all, all this recent debate over bull x,s has started the cogs turning and got me wondering about all different lurchers...what i have been wondering is about the versatility of a doberman x grehound.. the shape, size and musclature of the doberman would appear to lend itself perfectly to this mating and so im wondering if anyone has either tried it, or is trying it and the results of such a cross...and before anyone starts slating me for this post, dont bother......cause i dont give a damn...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i know someone who uses one and i swear down the dog is a machine. its a single handed dog cant run it doubled up never seen it on rabbits but all pre ban quarry its superb on

atb mike

has anyone got any pics of one ???????

hello all, all this recent debate over bull x,s has started the cogs turning and got me wondering about all different lurchers...what i have been wondering is about the versatility of a doberman x grehound.. the shape, size and musclature of the doberman would appear to lend itself perfectly to this mating and so im wondering if anyone has either tried it, or is trying it and the results of such a cross...and before anyone starts slating me for this post, dont bother......cause i dont give a damn...

A doberman isn't a hunting dog! and has been bred as a pet/guard/show dog for years so why use one. A working English pointer would be a better option. They have masses of stamina and good hunting instincts which have been bred into them for generations.

post-17336-1228340148.jpg

Edited by Steve Summers

Dobermans as a breed are only about 200 years old, they were bred exclusively for manwork......in fact they had to have a bit of agression bred out of them in the early days to make them easier to handle.

As for what type of lurcher they would make, well I have no experience of a Dobe x lurcher, but Charpolski is a sound man and will tell it like it is.

Everyone is looking for the next super cross....but there are more than enough proven crosses out there.......why feck about?

I saw a friends doby run all day chasing the tractor hunting mice. she also had a passion for skunk and cats. Was a real beast of a dog for a farm dog. Would like to see some pics of a grey cross one as well. very interesting

If it's shape, size and muscle you want in the cross wouldn't a pure greyhound or a 3/4 greyhound 1/4 bull be a better option.

The reason you cross a greyhound with another breed for a lurcher is for drive and hunting ability / instinct. A doberman possess neither.

As for collies and pit bulls, they're full of drive and hunting instinct.

Silly crosses are one of the reasons dogs homes are full of lurchers, JMHO.