whippets

Guest rio

how much exercise should i be giving her now to get her fit for working? she is 9 month, what age did your dogs have thier 1st rabbit? mine is simular lines laguna/sooty sam/lord of the knight/rimrock. where bouts you from in south wales? im in swansea.

Some pictures of my dog

shes a stunner mate :D

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest little lurcher
How do you rate whippets for stanima will they run all night 100% eg say 4 to 5 hours on the lamp

i find a fit whippet is equally as capable of a full night reg work when kept fit and well fed , for example this is a typicle weekend for my brindle bitch , 3 hrs ferrting fri, sat all day ( set off at 6am) in slips for 9am , lre course through heats all day , making a fianl which she became runner up , then home , some tea and back out on lamp from 10pm til 4am , up again and on road for a show at 7am , which she then won the open whippet class , not all my weekends are as hectic as that but the bitch til she had her pups last week worked upto the 5th week of pregancy , 7 pups easy as pie , she is out daily on a half hr run up fields already and hopefully will be re entered into the working whippet lamp comp as soon as pups off her , they are very underestimated and i welcome anyone to come and watch mine for a night

how much exercise should i be giving her now to get her fit for working? she is 9 month, what age did your dogs have thier 1st rabbit? mine is simular lines laguna/sooty sam/lord of the knight/rimrock. where bouts you from in south wales? im in swansea.

Some pictures of my dog

I'm from Aberdare, so not too far from you. Exercise-wise, all dogs are different and all people have different ideas but my preference is at that age at least a mile on the lead once a day and whenever you get 10 minutes spare to let them run free on the local fields, that's a bonus. Little and often at that age, no need to overdo them as they've got years of work in front of them. Mine started on the rabbits at around the 12 month mark seriously, but had chased quite a few around patches of cover before that. Hope this helps!

David

Not to far then, yeah cheers for help will pm you if need anymore!!

Cheers Lewis

Some pictures of my dog

shes a stunner mate :D

Thanks mate

preban.jpg

My Whippets are Sooty Sam bred also. I like that blue dog of yours, bet you had some fun with him before the ban ;) What other crosses are in his make-up?

Alright mate, his father was a full saluki and his dam is a first cross whippet x greyhound, he stands at 27 1/2" , a few lads off here have seen him run, he was good on every type of quarry day and night (preban)

[

Alright mate, his father was a full saluki and his dam is a first cross whippet x greyhound, he stands at 27 1/2" , a few lads off here have seen him run, he was good on every type of quarry day and night (preban)

Sounds like a handy cross, definitely done the job for you.