pups at 5 and a half months

Guest markbrick1

Lure coursing/racing is not a safe enviroment for a 5 month old pup,

no matter how good it is.

Accidents can and do happen, I have seen many over the years.

Just last week I saw an experienced dog hit a fence during a lure coursing event.

Luckily it was a well conditioned ADULT dog and escaped with a few

cuts and bruises. Last year I saw a top racing whippet DIE when it was

T-Boned at the end of a race.

Why risk a very promising pup to take home a plastic trophy?

A 5 month old pup is just that, a puppy.

Just my opinion of course :D

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i suppose skin and bone can be called a critisicm i suppose :D:D:D ... what you have to remember is that people have different veiws and if they are not yours doesnt mean they are cyber hunters or book readers ... what you must also remember is taht there are a lot of newbies and youngsters that come on here that will think its great and fine to enter a pup into all sorts of racing and coursing events and one of three things will happen .... 1 it will do ok and the owner will be reasonably pleased 2 it will do what most pups of that age will do and be mediocre at best ... the lad will think he has a crap dog on his hands and get rid of it ... or 3 it will get seriously injured ..........

Guest markbrick1
well i suppose skin and bone can be called a critisicm i suppose :D:D:D ... what you have to remember is that people have different veiws and if they are not yours doesnt mean they are cyber hunters or book readers ... what you must also remember is taht there are a lot of newbies and youngsters that come on here that will think its great and fine to enter a pup into all sorts of racing and coursing events and one of three things will happen .... 1 it will do ok and the owner will be reasonably pleased 2 it will do what most pups of that age will do and be mediocre at best ... the lad will think he has a crap dog on his hands and get rid of it ... or 3 it will get seriously injured ..........

i know you dont know me from adam but if being around lurchers for 40 years isnt experienced i dont know what isnt then i do agree with a lot of your comments and i havnt gone of this weekend with the addrenalin pumping chasing another lure to get another cup which she would and could are will i be next week either etc etc but if these pups were in some hands thats what they would be doin then they would be for sale i got offered £1000 the pup and like i say my dogs dont get sold regards mark

Lure coursing/racing is not a safe enviroment for a 5 month old pup,

no matter how good it is.

Accidents can and do happen, I have seen many over the years.

Just last week I saw an experienced dog hit a fence during a lure coursing event.

Luckily it was a well conditioned ADULT dog and escaped with a few

cuts and bruises. Last year I saw a top racing whippet DIE when it was

T-Boned at the end of a race.

Why risk a very promising pup to take home a plastic trophy?

A 5 month old pup is just that, a puppy.

Just my opinion of course :D

Hi tancho if you read back u will see i agree with comments like yours but like i say she does more runing around the field and harder every day then a simulated race and she WANTS TO these dogs you saw hurt them selfs are propberly non workers and show dogs mine are bred to work and i would put any against these pups for stopping and turning are my adult dogs TOPRACINGWHIPPETS should stay that racing straight lines she beet 5 of them on the 2 days thanks mark

these dogs you saw hurt them selfs are propberly non workers and show dogs mine are bred to work

You seem to think that most people on here are critising you yet you make this sort of comment and thats fine .................I have seen dog's hurt that have been racing for a long time it's not down to the breeding in the dog that will prevent it from injury if that was the case no greyhounds would ever get hurt as there's hundreds of years race breeding in most lines of greyhound ............... like socks says just because someone has a different view to you why does that entitle you to label them as a book reader and cyber hunter ? But like you have said you know what your doing so carry on ...............

Guest markbrick1

these dogs you saw hurt them selfs are propberly non workers and show dogs mine are bred to work

You seem to think that most people on here are critising you yet you make this sort of comment and thats fine .................I have seen dog's hurt that have been racing for a long time it's not down to the breeding in the dog that will prevent it from injury if that was the case no greyhounds would ever get hurt as there's hundreds of years race breeding in most lines of greyhound ............... like socks says just because someone has a different view to you why does that entitle you to label them as a book reader and cyber hunter ? But like you have said you know what your doing so carry on ...............

No what iam saying mike is that the breeding helps and the enviroment they are in is great for workin dogs a greyhound cant turn or stop like these dogs and that is were the advantage lies thanks mark

i know you dont know me from adam but if being around lurchers for 40 years isnt experienced i dont know what isnt

i wasnt talking about your experience i was talking about youngsters getting into the game thinking their pups can achieve wins in coursing comps ...... however even after your 40 yeras i had to educate you about merle breeding on the other site if you remember ;););) .... as for the greyhound turning and stopping debate .... have you ever owned racing greys mate .... cos mine get rabbits when needed to sharpen them up and believe me if the rabbit gets one turn in its very lucky .........

Guest grubygrafter

:good: its foolhardy to run an infant in events like this. thats my opinion. if it was an adult i'd have been the first to say well done :good:

its your dog. so its your call. but a warning to the younger or less experianced . DONT RISK SUCH A PROMISING PUP . THE REWARD IS'NT WORTH IT ;)

Guest markbrick1
i know you dont know me from adam but if being around lurchers for 40 years isnt experienced i dont know what isnt

i wasnt talking about your experience i was talking about youngsters getting into the game thinking their pups can achieve wins in coursing comps ...... however even after your 40 yeras i had to educate you about merle breeding on the other site if you remember ;););) .... as for the greyhound turning and stopping debate .... have you ever owned racing greys mate .... cos mine get rabbits when needed to sharpen them up and believe me if the rabbit gets one turn in its very lucky .........

yes you did socks i never said anything differant i only said what the breeding of the pups were you lot said they have to have border in them to be merle all i can say is the grandfather on the sires side wasnt what we got told also weve had a couple of workin greyhounds at home when i was a young man late 70s and down here the fields are small so you can forget them dogs all i said was these dogs turn and stop a lot better then greyhounds and never mentioned speed which of coarse the greyhound takes regards mark

:good: its foolhardy to run an infant in events like this. thats my opinion. if it was an adult i'd have been the first to say well done :good:

its your dog. so its your call. but a warning to the younger or less experianced . DONT RISK SUCH A PROMISING PUP . THE REWARD IS'NT WORTH IT ;)

well said mate :good: .... thats what i have been trying to put accross ..... MARK i wish you all the best with them young dogs and i honestly hope they make the grade as its dissapointing to see ANY young dog fail ............

Guest markbrick1

well said mate :good: .... thats what i have been trying to put accross ..... MARK i wish you all the best with them young dogs and i honestly hope they make the grade as its dissapointing to see ANY young dog fail ............

thanks mate but they shouldnt fail its down to me and the dogs thanks anyway regards mark

Guest markbrick1
I think all that a few of the lads were getting at Mark is that it very young for a developing dog to be "entered" be in simulated events or otherwise.........If I had put a post on the terrier forum mate saying I had knowingly entered a 5 mnth pup into an occupied earth I'd expect to take shit no matter how well the dog did , The pup is obviously a damn good prospect & it would be a shame to ruin it by picking up a bad injury when its still developing......All the best with the dog though..........Taff

couldnt agree more taffy but a terrier being entered is completly differant regards mark