alternative trout baits

im thinking of doing some nocturnal trout fishing and need a bait that i can use on course gear as i dont fly fish, plus would i need to pre-bait? the location is a lake in a country park where its fly only and im assuming their all stockies. cheers kiy. :)

Hiya,

Just been reading through this thread, you have mentioned that it's a fly only water and you will be fishing with bait at night, I presume therefore you are planning a poaching trip?

I know a few fishery owners as I am a keen trout fisherman myself, and just reading through the thread it seems that everyone thinks that going on to someones land at night and stealing their property is acceptable?

I wonder if you realise how damaging poaching is to people who are trying to run a business and keep a fishery running? It is after all just theft. I wonder if you would walk in to your local gun shop and fill your bag with their goods and then walk out without paying?

Or would you think it's ok to help yourself to a few lambs from the local farmers field at night? Maybe you are ok with filling your coat with DVD's at your local HMV?

I just feel by the flippant nature of your post that you really don't understand how the countryside economy functions and that your actions have consequences.

Please try and understand that poaching is theft and is damaging to rural businesses who are struggling enough at the minute as it is.

If you object with having to pay for fishing , or you can't afford the price of a ticket then try and find a free water to fish on, there are free stretches of water all over the country, it just takes a bit of time to find them.

Best Regards

i under stand where your coming from ,mine was done a long time ago ,not that i would not do it again given the chance and like vally said i could not or would have payed the stupid money they was asking at the time ,[to those with the money to fish the salmon river in question it was just a way to spend it instead of giving it to dick turpin ]THE TAX MAN

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i can see what your saying but to be honest, and this wont win me any friends, i dont care. im not on about emptying the place, just a couple of dinners and this place isnt a struggling rural business

i can see what your saying but to be honest, and this wont win me any friends, i dont care. im not on about emptying the place, just a couple of dinners and this place isnt a struggling rural business

Hi Kingfisher,

Thanks for your honest response. This is quite a common reason people used try justify poaching. If you just want some fish for a couple of dinners why not just buy a couple of Rainbows from the fish counter at your local supermarket? The fact that it is "only a couple" makes it no less of a criminal offence.

You mention on your profile that you are interested in getting your FAC. Maybe it's not best practice in terms of applying for a FAC to come on to a worldwide forum and ask for advice on how to commit a crime?

You also mention in your profile that you want to do some beating and picking up. I am sure you will have no problem in going on to the shoot you are working for in the dead of night and stealing some pheasants too? Why don't you post a message asking some the the gamekeepers in the gamekeeping section for advice on poaching their pheasants?

Every fish you steal has cost money in feed and people have put in time, early mornings in shitty weather, and hard work to rear. The cost of your theft, eventually has to be passed on to those who pay to fish at your venue. Why should they pay for your "couple of dinners"? I know the answer already - "you do not care"

Best Regards

Hi Kingfisher,

Thanks for your honest response. This is quite a common reason people used try justify poaching. If you just want some fish for a couple of dinners why not just buy a couple of Rainbows from the fish counter at your local supermarket? The fact that it is "only a couple" makes it no less of a criminal offence.

You mention on your profile that you are interested in getting your FAC. Maybe it's not best practice in terms of applying for a FAC to come on to a worldwide forum and ask for advice on how to commit a crime?

You also mention in your profile that you want to do some beating and picking up. I am sure you will have no problem in going on to the shoot you are working for in the dead of night and stealing some pheasants too? Why don't you post a message asking some the the gamekeepers in the gamekeeping section for advice on poaching their pheasants?

Every fish you steal has cost money in feed and people have put in time, early mornings in shitty weather, and hard work to rear. The cost of your theft, eventually has to be passed on to those who pay to fish at your venue. Why should they pay for your "couple of dinners"? I know the answer already - "you do not care"

Best Regards

justify the huge price tag on fly fishing stocked rainbows then gbob come on its far to expensive for you usual fella these days mate

If fly fishing is too expensive for you then don't do it! I am sorry but you seem to think that somehow, you have some kind of right to catch other peoples fish?

I really want a new rifle at the minute but it's too expensive so I can't buy one. I am not going to break in to the local gunshop at night and steal it.

Bob,can you say hand-on-heart you have never once broken any form of law whatsoever :blink: if so you should be re-named saint-bob,I like to fish a £500 a day river,extortionate right?But thats what the riparian owners charge,how do they justify that price for a small beat?I see your a fly-fishing coach,maybe that prejudices and hardens your views slightly ;)

Bob,can you say hand-on-heart you have never once broken any form of law whatsoever :blink: if so you should be re-named saint-bob,I like to fish a £500 a day river,extortionate right?But thats what the riparian owners charge,how do they justify that price for a small beat?I see your a fly-fishing coach,maybe that prejudices and hardens your views slightly ;)

I certainly am a fly fishing instructor and day in and day out I see the devestating effect of poaching on our rivers and still waters both from lines and gill nets.

I live and work in the Countryside where I also see the horrible effects of rural crime on local businesses and familes.

Look, if someone is charging an extoriate amount for something tell them to f off and go and fish somewhere else?

They don't have to justify what they are charging to anyone because they are not providing a public service. They are a private organisation who are offering a product at a price. Take it or leave it.

I really don't understand why people think that just becuase something is expensive and they can't afford it somehow they have a right to steal it.

Hi Kingfisher,

Best Regards

lets face it, there is no way what so ever that ill get a fac my record is way too bad for that and as for stealing pheasants from "work" or friends i would never do that. yes just taking a couple doesnt make it less of an offence but like i said, ive done alot worse then taking a trout or two. its easy to take the morral high ground when things are going well but when things are tight i feel no way about doing things that some people might not agree with

I have just been trying to find a correlation between your analogy bob,taking a fish or breaking and entering to steal a firearm,its a very tenuous link indeed,so Bob,every broken any laws whatsoever?Dropped litter?Put your foot down on the motorway?I wish I was so pious :angel: Not that I poach or anything,but neither do I preach :)