pup to jump

Guest mk3

got 3/4 pb 1/4 grey about 5 months old refusing to jump any obstacle , she will just sit and howl, ive tried just walkin on . eventually she will push through some how but not jump. ive tried putting boards on back yard not a problem clears them , her box is off the floor in kennels once again no probs, but in the field no joy any ideas cheers mk3

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine were the same [i have 2 5/8,3/8 bull/greys 7 months old]What i done is to find some broken down fencing and take them over that a few times for them to get use to it and then took them over one slightly higher and so on.Now they clear a full sheep fence plus a strand of wire no problem.Hope this as been some help

got 3/4 pb 1/4 grey about 5 months old refusing to jump any obstacle , she will just sit and howl, ive tried just walkin on . eventually she will push through some how but not jump. ive tried putting boards on back yard not a problem clears them , her box is off the floor in kennels once again no probs, but in the field no joy any ideas cheers mk3

start them on small obsticles and work your way up until the dog get confident mate thats what i do dont over face your dog :D

first of all i hope this thread dont get ruind just because i have put what works for me .i would just keep on doing what you are ,take it out and as long as it is geting through things to be with you it will eventualy learn to jump because it will start to climb over ,then the next step will be jumping , the more you do the quicker it will take ,just keep it at it untill you are happy .[the fuse has been light]i just hope it dont go bang . Edited by MY LAW
well my dog can be the same shes a whippet x collie only 22" but she can jump when she like 2 jump this is what i do leave her there and walk on a small bit then she comes no prob

we have a rabbit net fence near us and theres a bit that hangs down , i train my young dogs to jump that , then move on to other stuff , get there confidence on one hight before you move on, make it a game , like chucking a ball over it or jumping it yourself while you encourage them to follow , its still a young dog , be patient

I've been in the same situ and delved intro the vast knowledge contained within and then decided to say "see ya".................worked.

im with mad al on this , when i got my young dog he would jump walls but not fences , so all i done was leave him on the other side of the fence while we went in with the other dogs, he moaned a bit but soon jumped over when he seen the dogs having fun. cant stop him jumping now lol he will clear sheep fencing with 2 strands of barbed wire with about 18" to spare .

first of all i hope this thread dont get ruind just because i have put what works for me .i would just keep on doing what you are ,take it out and as long as it is geting through things to be with you it will eventualy learn to jump because it will start to climb over ,then the next step will be jumping , the more you do the quicker it will take ,just keep it at it untill you are happy .[the fuse has been light]i just hope it dont go bang .

Id agree with that like, never made too much of a fuss over my dogs jumping. They both do it very well now,but ive never tried to teach them how to do it. Jumping puts a lot of pressure on a young dogs bones,joints and muscles,no need to rush into it. Whats that saying? "Slowly slowly catchy monkey"?

Still only a baby yet mate, if its jumping in its pen it will come, give it a month or two, find a broken fence, you straddle it, use another dog and call them backwards and forwards, when they approach call "get over" or similar, the penny will drop, always use same command, as it gets older raise the height, soon be jumping on command and for fun.

first of all i hope this thread dont get ruind just because i have put what works for me .i would just keep on doing what you are ,take it out and as long as it is geting through things to be with you it will eventualy learn to jump because it will start to climb over ,then the next step will be jumping , the more you do the quicker it will take ,just keep it at it untill you are happy .[the fuse has been light]i just hope it dont go bang .

Id agree with that like, never made too much of a fuss over my dogs jumping. They both do it very well now,but ive never tried to teach them how to do it. Jumping puts a lot of pressure on a young dogs bones,joints and muscles,no need to rush into it. Whats that saying? "Slowly slowly catchy monkey"?

cheers donk i understand the pressure on young legs ,but she howls when i walk away like a banshee, and you dont need that in some places :whistling: cheers any way for the reply

a lad on here told me a good way to get them jumping what he done was had a small board at the gate of the run so the pup is jumping over it to get in and out then as it gets older replace it with a higher board so it becomes something it dont even think about worked for my dogs all the best

a lad on here told me a good way to get them jumping what he done was had a small board at the gate of the run so the pup is jumping over it to get in and out then as it gets older replace it with a higher board so it becomes something it dont even think about worked for my dogs all the best

all ready doing that on the yard zap cheers anyway she maybe to young yet to work it out, but i know the rest of litter jumping we out thinking god can she howl :icon_redface: