VERY bad news.......

I agree that it could be poachers, and the crossbow is a hot favourite, what actually killed the beast does need to be determined for the sake of all involved.

The one saving grace is that most farmers I've met are happier to have one trusted gun on thier land than none at all, if no one has shooting rights and the land is not "policed" it can become a free for all. Knowing there may be a guy with a gun about is a fair deterrant. Hope your man can realise that Dekker ;)

That's a fair point Cyclone.

The issue is with the guy that shot the animal - Not someone that is, and has been trusted for some time by the farmer in question.

I do hope that the farmer can realise this.

This will be a criminal investigation if a firearm was used. Offer to liaise with the police in their enquiries. It may well take some of the stress away from him and reinforce just how professional you are.

Hope it works out Dekker.

ATB

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A permission of mine has a lot of beef cattle on it, they are constantly being moved around to different fields given the wet weather and you need to be very aware, especially when it comes to shooting up against hedges. Could have been a genuine accident if the cow was couched in the lee of a hedge but still fooking irresponsible for not doing the homework.

Edited to say despite your own level of responsibility this will probably kick up a stink. I hope you are not dragged through the myre for someone else's mistake.

ATB

Edited by Local

Hi All

Thanks for all the comments, to be honest I know little more myself yet, trying to be as helpful as possible but also keeping a low profile, as soon as I get any developments I'll let you all know.

I am truly grateful to many for comments of support, PM's of support and help, and offers of other land to pop over to, I always knew there were some top people her but I feel genuinely humble....THANK YOU!!

:notworthy::thumbs:

Just to make light of it ,the trouble with cattle shooting is that you need a brace of them to make them hang right on your shoulder and this lad never did the double so left it . ;)

I jest of course -Hope this gets sorted mate and hope you you still have some land left to take me on ,jesting again of couse .Ill ring you.

who ever shot the cow knew what he was shooting at ,i know of a guy who had been shooting on a farm for meny years and lost it to some guys who offerd the farmer money to shoot it ..the guy went back and shot one of the farmers sheep so the new guys got the blame ..fecked it up for all ..some people dont take to being up set by others ?

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Deker,

Whats the latest on this?

CBW

Ok....I am keeping a low profile on this...I have a friend who works on a small commercial site on the farm and owned by the same farmer!! I am getting most of my information from him at the moment and the bottom line is that an autopsy has proved "inconclusive". I obviously assume this means a bullet was not found, fueling the possibility of a crossbow bolt and therefore poaching/children/idiots whatever!!! So far, no news is good news and I have had no calls to stop shooting there so far!

I actually got a little brave and was on site last night (took Mr L), the first time I have gone near the place since this happened, but deliberatley avoided any contact with the owner!!

Fingers crossed, but no definitave answer yet!!

Best of luck getting this sorted Deker.

I`m not keen on shooting in a field where stock are in.

Cows can sleep with their heads turned and can be as black as the ace of spades so they can blend into the night easily on the limits of your beam . It`s not until they wake up and you see their eyes that you can tell they are out there at a distance.