VERY bad news.......

Just had a call from one of my landowners who has found one of his cows shot dead (head)!!!!

He called to check if I had been up recently and fortunately in this instance I had not been to this site for about 10 days.....then he says he thinks he knows who it was, apparently he lets another guy shoot there sometimes for a bit of fun (news to me as I never knew of this fellow), "he's not a professional like you..." says the owner to my relief...... but then it becomes apparent that it isn't going to make a lot of difference....it has happened!!!!!! :(:(:cry:

The farm in question breeds and sells "rare breeds" for further breeding...not your normal dairy/beef cows!!!.....These cows are not cheap, and the next few days are without doubt going to develop into some BIG problems!!!

Never known this before, heard of several sheep being shot but not a cow before...and all his cows are enormous as well!!!

Could well be the end of the road here, and the repercussions of events like this are never good whatever happens!!! :no:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just had a call from one of my landowners who has found one of his cows shot dead (head)!!!!

He called to check if I had been up recently and fortunately in this instance I had not been to this site for about 10 days.....then he says he thinks he knows who it was, apparently he lets another guy shoot there sometimes for a bit of fun (news to me as I never knew of this fellow), "he's not a professional like you..." says the owner to my relief...... but then it becomes apparent that it isn't going to make a lot of difference....it has happened!!!!!! :(:(:cry:

The farm in question breeds and sells "rare breeds" for further breeding...not your normal dairy/beef cows!!!.....These cows are not cheap, and the next few days are without doubt going to develop into some BIG problems!!!

Never known this before, heard of several sheep being shot but not a cow before...and all his cows are enormous as well!!!

Could well be the end of the road here, and the repercussions of events like this are never good whatever happens!!! :no:

This is indeed very bad news! I really hope this other guy has insurance but supect not. I'm a farmer and have heard of only one of this type of thing. It was years ago and it was a pedigree bull!! A lot of money but the guy did have insurance. A lesson to us all here - 2things First know what you are shooting at - it's to late when you pull the trigger!

Second everyone should have some insurance. We all hope we will never need it but it's there if the unthinkable happens. Safety first - Safety second. Hope this gets sorted out ok Deker.

Cheers

Fastrac10

Not good news Deker :( The only positive to come out of this is that the landowner knows it's not you.My shooting partner & i had a similar problem this summer not with livestock but a dead pheasent stuck up in a tree.The landowner was informed that it had been put in the tree to be used as target practice :o he knew we'd never do anything like that & when we got the bird down from the tree it had trussed itself up with bailing twine....just shows how easy some people jump to conclusions & point the finger :big_boss:

That's everyones worse nightmare mate, you do every thing right and someone screws it up for you. To add my experience 15 years back we went to shoot a farm we'd been on for a few years and the farmer had bolted the gates. Seems like some guys, (he didn't know who as he let anyone on), had been pigeon shooting a few days before and had severed his phone line. Something critical had happened and he wasn't contactable. He never let anyone shoot again.

On the other hand I nearly did something similar myself, but not as spectacular, a few years ago. I was lamping a month old corn field when I spotted the "eyes" I was after. Only because I was very particular in getting a bead right between them did the profile of a prize escaped ram gradually come into focus, I god dam nearly shot it.

Think I would spot a cow tho'.

Really hope this does not have any repercussions for you.

Anyone who ............. No everyone who shoots should legally have to hold insurance, can't drive a car legally without it can you?

Guest buster321c

Thats terrible mate , but good news he knows its not you , this is part of the reason i `Always` ring to say when im going on my permission then there`s no confusion , plus the fact, if im lamping and they see a lamp going over the fields , they know its me because ive rung ;)