Just been to one of my walks wich as been there for donkeys years. It is a public footpath that go's through land that is keepered. Anyway today when i get there ther's been a notice put up saying "protected conservation area keep to footpath dogs to be kept on leads". I was just wondering how the notice stands by law ? i think its just a tattic been used by the keeper to protect is birds. Can you tell me what you think, cheers.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just been to one of my walks wich as been there for donkeys years. It is a public footpath that go's through land that is keepered. Anyway today when i get there ther's been a notice put up saying "protected conservation area keep to footpath dogs to be kept on leads". I was just wondering how the notice stands by law ? i think its just a tattic been used by the keeper to protect is birds. Can you tell me what you think, cheers.

would it be such a problem to abide by his wishes?

his birds are his job, if your dogs chase them all off the land he could well be out of a job?

Me and my Uncle have the same problem with Dog Walkers.

We spend all that Money only for Dog Walkers to f**k It up!

If a Dog hunts up In the Cover or Beat and puts all the Birds up they will think twice about returning.

Please mate, just find another walk. Can't be hard :thumbs:

Butch

as far as i know and learnt at college, if the landowner has registerd the path as a conservtion area, the landowner can actually hold you to keeping the dog on the lead but this is not gospel im struggling to remember,

Me and my Uncle have the same problem with Dog Walkers.

We spend all that Money only for Dog Walkers to f**k It up!

If a Dog hunts up In the Cover or Beat and puts all the Birds up they will think twice about returning.

Please mate, just find another walk. Can't be hard :thumbs:

Butch

I understand what your saying, my dogs are always under control, they are working dogs, and i also know the keeper. I know the general public don't understand. Don't like the comment about find another walk mate, been going down there 30 year, if you know what i mean ?

All the best Pete.

as far as i know and learnt at college, if the landowner has registerd the path as a conservtion area, the landowner can actually hold you to keeping the dog on the lead but this is not gospel im struggling to remember,

How do i find out if it is registerd ?

Cheers

How do i find out if it is registerd ?

Cheers

is the ground adjacent to any english nature/national trust/rspb/forestry commision etc, if it is contact them and see if it is a conservation area otherwise the council may even be able to help, you might find the keeper is just saying this though to keep dogs off of his birds, its his livelihood and puts money in his pocket and bread on the table so what else can he do, he's got to try and protect his job somehow

You may not think It's that Important but It really does annoy keepers and messes things up!

I know, I help rear birds...

Butch

you lost the plot mate ? I KNOW THE f****n KEEPER I GET ON WITH HIM I USED TO GO BEATING FOR HIM. I'm just asking how does the sign stand by law thats all. Simple f****n question.

Gotta agree... it's no big deal to walk elsewhere with yer dog, or even talk to the keeper who may offer an alternative route that minimises the impact or even helps push his birds in the right direction... but it's a big deal if the game is disturbed.. I don't think it's an unreasonable request.

There are different designations for conservation areas! eg: SSSI's = Special Site of Scientific Interest, just because an area has gamebirds on it it? does'nt mean it is a legal conservation area? In saying that does it really matter? the gamekeeper is only trying to protect his birds in an area he works and probably lives in? if it was me I'd co-operate and usually I'm a real bolshie b@stard that does'nt like authority, but this boy is only trying to hold on to his living and way of life even, if he is using this as a tactic to preserve them!!

Tom

Pleanty of places to go for advice; local council, national trust, ramblers assocciation, ordanance survey, etc. If it is a puplic right of way there will still be rules about keeping dogs under control. Keepers, like farmers, will try to bend the rules to protect their livelyhood, and who can blame them when there are so many people letting dogs run wild ! Not you, I hasten to add !

Cheers.