lab pup

we have just purchased a black lab bitch pup from working stock. goin to use her primarily for beating, and for rough shooting. we have had labs in the past but just for retrieving, they never really made good hunting dogs in beating line, but outstanding retrievers on both hidden and marked retrieves.

question is how can i go about bringing this pup up in order to get it hunting hard in the beating line without it becoming just a lack luster hunter?

The major job of the lab as you have pointed out is retrieving or picking up.

On the shoot where i go nearly all the dogs are spaniels either Cocker or Springer huinting is what they were bred for.

I am sure you could train it to hunt, but it may be difficult.

Good luck, sorry not much help i know

Edited by Gooner

I use my Lab on the beating line and on rough walked up shoots. He's absolutely fine. Doesn't quarter naturally like a springer would so needed a little bit more instruction by way of me sending him this way or that. He's now starting to catch on and needing less instruction and is happy to go into thick cover etc. He'll never be as efficient as a cocker or springer but he's doing a good enough job and with the added bonus that he's not as mad as a spaniel and much easier to train and keep steady.