Terrier Hard as nails?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Any man who says this has never happened him isn't digging very long.

Some terriers will do and it can be a result of bad entering or a desire to hunt all sorts of game.

And it doesn't mean the terriers useless for bigger quarry but it is a bloody nuisance.

Learn to read the terriers body language and get him on plenty of foxes and he might learn that foxes are more fun than rabbits.

Some terriers will do and it can be a result of bad entering or a desire to hunt all sorts of game.

And it doesn't mean the terriers useless for bigger quarry but it is a bloody nuisance.

Learn to read the terriers body language and get him on plenty of foxes and he might learn that foxes are more fun than rabbits.

well said mate !

I totally agree, i've been digging for many years and this still occasionally happens. I have a Border bitch which suffers with this problem, if there is no quarry to ground she will search the earth and hunt anything thats there.

Learning the terriers body language takes a bit of time and comes with experience, any experienced terrier-man would say the same.

Edited by The Breeder

it happened to me on sunday,with my reliable digging dog,a pup i have wanted into an earth so i let her have a look she did a bit of whinging and came out,so i double checked with taffy,he entered and was digging on,after a while it was decided to drop a hole to him to see what was going on,this dog will only bay when hes right on the quarry,but he had,nt made a noise,anyway 6ft later we got the dog out and there was a dead rabbit there mid tube, the tube kept on going and was easily big enough for a fox,but i dnt think there was a fox in,this doesnt mean il be getting rid of the dog il just put it down to the bitch getting him wound up,just hope he doesnt make a habit of it,abit pissed of though as hes always been 100%.

had a few myself in past , normally with rabbits the dog soon learns he cant get them and will give up going to ground for them ,especialy if he not encourage to ,try using a trusted dog to mark the earth and then use your dog ,they soon learn ,it could be worse you could of had a dog that wouldnt go to ground, ive have had a couple of them to ,and they do leave you scratching your head :11:

penda.mate you havent got a f*****g clue.the dog your talking about was entered to ground and 2 mins later bolted a charlie and then we got a mark at o.4 were we broke threw after two shovel fulls to find the terrier latched to the bunny not f*****g baying you numpty as you say your not a terrier man so keep you trap shut the dog has been dug to since then on seveal occasions{the dog dont bay mate it just latches on} :gunsmilie:keep working your lurchers :thumbs:

Edited by rapskee

good post :clapper:

I Know someone who entered a dog the other week and it stayed to ground baying for over 20mins when the lads broke though there was a bunny there wat do you think to this?

Penda, please don't use text talk.

THIS BLOKE DOESNT NO ANYTHING ABOUT TERRIERS HES A FERRETER! IV SEEN THE DOG WORK AND I HAVE NEVER DUG ANY BUNNYS WITH IT! HE STAYS AND DOESNT MOVE ON ALL QAURRY! IF YOUD EVEN OWNED A REAL EARTH DOG YOU WOULD NO THAT MISTAKES LIKE THIS HAPPEN ESPECIALLY WHEN YOUR FIRST ENTERING A DOG! YOU WANA SEE THE MESSAGES HE SENDS ME HE DOESNT EVEN NO ME! PENDA IF YOU AND YOUR MATES HAD A CLUE ABOUT WORKING DOGS YOU WOULD STOP SLATING OTHER PEOPLES FOR A START! THIS GEEZA IS REDICULOUS! YOU MAKE ME SICK :sick: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!