What type of dog for deer

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good strong beardie collie grey dog lol ;) but im a fan of the dog abit biast :thumbs:
GOOD CHOOSE MATE USED ONE OF THESE CROSSES FOR YEARS AND DONE WELL ON THE BIG STUFF

Do you have any pics of this cross?

DG

SORRY "DG" HAVEN'T WORKED OUT HOW TO GET PICS ON HERE YET

Over here we have big rough greyhound type dogs that folks call coldbloods or stags, either way will do. Of course some will say the hairy dogs are stags and the smooth coated dogs are cold bloods but its all bullshit either way. Its about like sayin "pre-ban", its all BS. The hairy dogs are all born in the same litters as the smooth coated dogs usually so whats the difference really. Anyhow, they will take deer for sure without a doubt.

any dog with a bit of bottle and can run a bit [not stupid things like terriers ] but i have seen them have the odd one .it is not that hard to catch deer with dogs , except in the day ,after all you are puting the deer at a dissadvantage by shining a bright light in their eyes ,i have used and seen alsorts take them ,[iT IS SEEING THEM DO IT NIGHT AFTER NIGHT AND TAKE ALL THE BUMPS WITH IT ] some of the best dogs i have seen doing this job you would laugh at how they were bred medium to small ,and some of these big bull xcould only manage the odd night [im not saying all but i have seen a lot ] there is no certain type this is what i have experienced preban.

Edited by MY LAW
I heard there is a type of lurcher called Minshaw's that used to do quite well on deer.

Are they bull x's? Heard quite a bit about minshaw blue.

I heard tale there is bull in them, there exact breeding is arguably a bit of a mystery!

I no that you did ask for "what type of x's" but my instant reaction was that if you were wanting a dog that could take deer (pre-ban) then surly the deerhound would be perfect as they have been bred to do this specific job, or am i missing something? youngshot.