THE LEARNING CURVE

Guest LEARNER

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LEARNER

THANKS J D, THE FIRST 2 PHOTO,S IS AT 7 MONTHS MARKING, on one off the photo,s with the wall in the background, if you look along it ,thats my ferreting mate, you may just see a black and white lurcher, thats his bitch now 12 years, this bitch is a fantastic ferreting dog, if you can imagine what is needed in a ferreting dog, she as all the credentials, now i have a photo of TAM , tho not on this thread, at 11weeks old looking at me, this was just the second day after he was safe to venture out after his jabs, i had noticed him mark this hole, but i carried on slowly to see what he would do, thats what he did ,looked at the hole ,looked at me ,then looked at the hole again, now ferreting dogs are born, and all you have to do is build on it, but if some times you have a young dog that is a so so marker, do not try and make him mark every warren you come across, to much egging on makes them false mark, what i do is if the young dog marks , i will enter a ferret, if there is a bolter , i fuss the young dog, if there is not a bolter ,i just ignore the dog, now this can go on for just a couple of outings before the dog clicks ,or for several months, remember fuss for a bolt ,and ignore if not, also try and take the sapling ,to were there are plenty off rabbits on the ground to help with the training, as the pup improves go to ground were some warrens or burys are or maybe blank, then again fuss when right ignore when not ,never shout at the young dog , the blanking will be enough, now i have not gave TAM, the intensive training that i am use to , but if some thing goes wrong , i can always fall back ,on some off the knowledge i,ve learnt and picked up over the years, remember training is a minute disipline , so do not use it ,when not needed, only train for what you need your dog for ,or what you your self can achieve. TAM does not really touch the rabbits in the net ,but as you can see ,he cloacks them like a vampire, thats all you need, but if your dog does perhaps hold the rabbit in the net ,thats perfect as well ,never let your dog mouth the netted rabbit , this can result in a frayed net ,and some time bruising, and sin of sins ,some dogs who are blatent mouthers can miss a bolter, they are that inmersh in thier bad doings, but most off all it looks amateurish, now i and my freind caught that amount off rabbits because they where there, and thats good , but to me the lads on the ferreting thread who caught, those half a dozen rabbits, now thats good hunting, so remember ,never feel downhearted if the the ground you work ,never holds the big bags, your skill in learning to keep them in control ,especially in very rough cover is equal to the last picture on here.

Guest CharlieC

nice pics Tam :good:

and a great post as well, like you say, you can only kill whats there and what your dog can catch, its the day out that counts not the sixze of the bag (although big bags are great - especially if you can con someone else into carrying the bag for you :D

Excellent phopts Learner...the pup looks a cracker :good:

Although your pup looks like he carries a nice bit of coat,i cant but think how much he reminds me of the "DRUM" Dog. Almost identicle in the markings.

For me also a couple of hours mooching with your dog and an unexpected catch means alot more than the big bags gained on rabbit infested land. Youd probably still catch a few without a Dog on this type of land anyway,but the one pulled "Out of a hat"....well to me thats a bonus.

keep up the good work learner ;) and keep learning.. :D

All the best,......Lamps

Guest CharlieC

he is a lot like Drum isnt he?

was thinking that myself, was Drum out of Griff and Rosie? that is the same line as my dog Casper, there were a lot of red and white pups in his litter, he was the only blue (and the daftest one :D )

he is a lot like Drum isnt he?

was thinking that myself, was Drum out of Griff and Rosie? that is the same line as my dog Casper, there were a lot of red and white pups in his litter, he was the only blue (and the daftest one  :D )

If i remember right CC, Drum wasn't directly out of James's Dogs. He was out of a Bitch that was out of a Bitch by a Dog that was bred by James. Sorry but i dont know which one it was though.

Went out with the Drum dog on many occassions and enjoyed Tonys company, though Tony could be a bit too much of a perfectionist sometimes and was obsessive with facts.... :blink:

When he asked about a pup of mine once and i gave hime the breeding,he went onto inform me that according to his calculations i should be expecting an 17% increase on her speed by the time she was fully matured :blink: . AQ strange Guy but very genuine one and well liked.

all the best...Lamps

If we're talking of the same Drum, according to the paper I have here............

he was sired by Billy, (a 1st Cross) out of Jewel, (Romulus X Tammy).

The Griff X Rosie mating appears on the other line on this paper, resulting in Moss.

If it's not the same Drum I'll shut up now........ :icon_redface:

Bloody hell that some dog Learner!..

I will have to get some of his "seed" sent over to line some staghound bitchs...he looks like he could do a bloody Coyote!..

Im glad your getting some rabbits with him...Like ive said, i REALY miss my ferreting...reading these little threads and seeing a few pics, makes me think of some off the fine days i had with that ole dog of mine...Keep up the good work mate..

Kye..

PS..them hints you gave me AGES ago (about retrieving) are paying off ten fold with these new dogs of mine...its nice to get advice from folk who know!

Smallmouth...the Purdey bitch that i've got here, her mother ( mouse ) was a pup from a litter produced by using Griff onto Rosie...and then Drum was put onto Mouse to get Purdey....

Learner...the pup's coming on well by the look of thing's, some nice pic's aswell mate...keep them coming.

It's an interesting lineage and seems worth keeping going, if Purdey is typical of the results.

I can get quite interested in the "who begat who" side of things, and it means more cos I saw some of the earlier dogs in that line in the flesh.

I remember seeing a pair of stunning red merle saplings by Romulus out of a James bitch at Chatsworth, probably '86 or '87? Can't remember who the owner was though we talked a bit, but I remember the lurchers. I think a photo of one of them appeared in a book or two.... :ph34r:

Guest LEARNER

KYE, a friend of LAMPER,, as been in touch ,saying the dam to my young dog, had took a fox, i remember when picking my pup up, that i was told ,the dam was taking fox, anyway keep the hunting going, shame we never met, perhaps one day when i can find some extra cash ,i can get over to the states again ,and perhaps meet up with you. GOODLUCK.

Yeah, it was a shame Learner...you where about three days drive from us though...when im aloud to come back home, maybe i will pop up and see you mate?...Theres always a spare room for you here mate, and i have a LOAD or permission for the Lurchers now...on ALL game...hes a dandy looking dog Learner, all the best with him mate!..(Not suprised there taking fox, they look strong enough for Elk!..lol.)

Kye..

• 3 months later...