Still cant decide

Hi Folks,

still at a loss what to choose, its between the Sony A350 & Canon 450D.

Anyone have any experiences of both?

One thing between the two is the ISO (canon) 1600, (sony) 3200 but on the other end the there is more choice of lenses for the canon.

Decisions, decisions.

well I have not used one of them :laugh: , I am no photographer and never will be but Canon is the only way to go, this is just a bit of what a Canon 30D and a Canon MACRO LENS EF 100mm 1:2.8 USM can do, why this lens?, cos that's what was on the camera that day :laugh:

wetbee_edited.jpg

• 2 months later...

Its not so much the camera you should worry about, But the lenses...Its better to buy a cheaper DSLR and spend the extra money on good lenses, Most people tend to buy the best camera they can afford and put a coke bottle on the end, the thing is, if you stick at the photography, the camera will be out of date in a matter of less than a year, where as the lenses dont change that often or as much, its more of a system you buy into with Canon rather than just a camera, I hope you understand what I mean. When I used to do photography, to begin I bought a Canon 300D, And a cheap tamron lense, and then kept adding different cheap lenses, I then bought a 20D which came with a Canon IS USM lense, I tried that particular lense on the 300D and the difference it made to the camera was amazing...I then sold the 300d and the lenses for next to nothing as the body was out of date and the lenses didnt hold their value, by this time I had added a few more IS USM's to my 20d....Then the 5d arrived & I simply sold the 20d body & picked up the 5d...And the lenses didnt need changed...And when I eventually sold everything, the lenses only lost a tiny fraction of value compared to what the camera lost...I suppose what Im trying to say is, Good Canon lenses will last a life time and never go out of date and hold a lot of their value, where as cheap lenses wont last, they dont do justice to a decent camera & depreciate like bricks...The same goes for the camera - So money spent on glass is a better decision

As for your decision between Sony and Canon - Watch the press....They are the people who rely on cameras to make their living, Look at there lenses at the film premieres...All white - All Canon.

Good luck

And....The ISO set at 3200 would probably give you a picture not even worth printing anyway...Where as a Canon DIGIC processor set to 1600 will be perfect & you probably wont ever want to go above 6/800 at the most

Its not so much the camera you should worry about, But the lenses...Its better to buy a cheaper DSLR and spend the extra money on good lenses, Most people tend to buy the best camera they can afford and put a coke bottle on the end, the thing is, if you stick at the photography, the camera will be out of date in a matter of less than a year, where as the lenses dont change that often or as much, its more of a system you buy into with Canon rather than just a camera, I hope you understand what I mean. When I used to do photography, to begin I bought a Canon 300D, And a cheap tamron lense, and then kept adding different cheap lenses, I then bought a 20D which came with a Canon IS USM lense, I tried that particular lense on the 300D and the difference it made to the camera was amazing...I then sold the 300d and the lenses for next to nothing as the body was out of date and the lenses didnt hold their value, by this time I had added a few more IS USM's to my 20d....Then the 5d arrived & I simply sold the 20d body & picked up the 5d...And the lenses didnt need changed...And when I eventually sold everything, the lenses only lost a tiny fraction of value compared to what the camera lost...I suppose what Im trying to say is, Good Canon lenses will last a life time and never go out of date and hold a lot of their value, where as cheap lenses wont last, they dont do justice to a decent camera & depreciate like bricks...The same goes for the camera - So money spent on glass is a better decision

As for your decision between Sony and Canon - Watch the press....They are the people who rely on cameras to make their living, Look at there lenses at the film premieres...All white - All Canon.

Good luck

And....The ISO set at 3200 would probably give you a picture not even worth printing anyway...Where as a Canon DIGIC processor set to 1600 will be perfect & you probably wont ever want to go above 6/800 at the most

some good points there matey.

Having sampled the amazing performance of canon lenses that all i use from now on. I am gradually re-buying all my kit with the canon brand. Just got delivery of a 15mm fisheye this morning and i am very excited to see what images it will reproduce.

Canon are the world leaders, and thats for a reason.

• 6 months later...

Good luck

some good points there matey.

Having sampled the amazing performance of canon lenses that all i use from now on. I am gradually re-buying all my kit with the canon brand. Just got delivery of a 15mm fisheye this morning and i am very excited to see what images it will reproduce.

Canon are the world leaders, and thats for a reason.

Yes some good points - I make money from my images and if someone put a sony and a canon in front of me to do a shoot, i would take the canon every time.

I love the coke bottle comment. lol ill remember that one.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi folks.Names Billy,and ive just became a member a few minutes ago.Started off taking pix a few years agoon a compact,and then bought my 1st DSLR camera.It was an Olympus 400,with 2 lens's.Did quite a bit with it,till i was shooting my daughters school sports,and got the odd sneaky ook,at what was happening on the screen of a canon,that a bloke next to me had.Within a couple of weeks,i was a canon owner.Started off,with a 400d,and kept upgrading,till could afford a 40d.Simply,cause i needed more frames per second,for my line of photography.Once i had the body i needed.I then set about getting a good piece of glass.Im using a 70/200 F4 L lens now,and boy does it make some difference to my action shots.Before this,i was having to take loads of shoots,to try and get that one goodun.Which meant a lot of deleting,on board,that waisted the battery,and left me missing oppertunities.Now ive so many good shots,that i find great difficulty picking the best of them,as they're all the same.Very rarely do i get a blurred action shot now.I do believe tho,that the 450d,with this lens,would also be great to use.