Goshawks Coming Into Condition

jasper65

This Semen donor male has now only been in his aviary for two days and is already soliciting to me showing his white covets and nest building, the female's are both now also showing their covets and displaying to me at the food ledge, they're both still very aggressive and likely to take my face off if I enter the aviary now! but they soon soften up like chickens when they come into full breeding condition and hopefully stand and lay some fertile eggs :good:.

Blitznestbuilding.jpg

Blitznestbuilding1.jpg

Finnishgrumpyfemalewet.jpg

Hello Waf

The noise these birds have been making today I reckon I'm going to get some complaints :whistle:, they're all calling now when I walk into the garden and making a hell of a racket, I fancy a Finn x German female this year for a change from a male, I'll put liam down for a Finn x German male and I'll let you know how things go through the season. it sounds very promiseing with your pair of Peregrines! A bold male that won't be pushed about is worth his weight in gold, once she starts to wave her knckers in the air I recon he'll tread her, the Female Pere I kept back is doing all the basic courtship to me on the food ledge but nothing too seriouse yet.

Take Care

Tony

Nice one mate :good:

I hope so mick! but as you know there is a whole lot that can go wrong and probably will, hopefully not too bad though, I always look on the bad side and then if anything good happens its a Bonus ;).

Cheers

Tony

Really like the Gosses Tony, a credit to you... :good:

Many Thanks Hywel! Hopefully they'll produce some fertile eggs for me but I always expect things to go wrong along the way! If I think the worse, anything good that happens is a bonus ;).

Nice pic's... :good: ..but fancy putting them up you have set me of again wanting one... :D ..

Hope they work out good for you .. :good: .

Millet

It won't be long before you'll be doing one justice mate :good:! I love this time of the year when they're breeding and get pretty excited about taking up a new bird! but after Hatching rearing and having a few nightmares along the way I lose a bit of interest about flying one come September time, it don't help when you have youngsters that need feeding around every 4 hourly from first light to last light, preparing food for chicks also takes a bit of time, I'm not moaning as its the path I chose to take but come flying season I'm knackered and get off seeing and hearing how other people's birds fly as much as my own.

Cheers

Tony

Cracking pics as usual Tony, all the best for breeding season :good:

With natural pairs do you tend to leave the parents to bring the chicks up so there parent reared or do you prefer to hatch them yourself?

Cheers,

PUG

Cracking pics as usual Tony, all the best for breeding season :good:

With natural pairs do you tend to leave the parents to bring the chicks up so there parent reared or do you prefer to hatch them yourself?

Cheers,

PUG

Hello PUG

Hopefully if everything goes well I'll double clutch them, I let her sit the eggs for ten days and pull the first clutch, she will then go down again for another clutch! Most Gos's normally go down again within 21-28 days, smaller birds earlier! I'll then hatch the first clutch in the Incubator and rear them for 8 days maximum and put the rings on, if they won't hold the rings which is likely on the smaller males, I use a peice of Micropour tape in a funnel shape to keep them in place! its then a case of going in the aviary and removing her second clutch eggs and replaceing them with the first clutch youngsters! Hopefully if everything goes well I will then hatch the second clutch in the Incubator and rear them again to 8 days maximum, by this time the first clutch will have been P/R to branching stage, they will then be caught up and placed in a Nursery aviary together until sold from 11 weeks on, the second clutch will be put back with the parents to rear! obviousley having some foster parent birds can make things easier, I have even used Harris's in the past to rear Gos's and they make a wonderfull job of them.

I have to look at the situation as the season goes on and decide on whats going to rear what, sometimes I swap Gos eggs around between Harris's and Imprint Gos's, its a hard one as I have had some birds for no reason at all which wil fail to rear even though they have reared in the past! if this happens I have to look between other Gos's or Harris's for Foster parents ;), obviousley any Imprints ordered will be gone as soon as I can sex them straight from the brooder.

Cheers

Tony

Hello PUG

Hopefully if everything goes well I'll double clutch them, I let her sit the eggs for ten days and pull the first clutch, she will then go down again for another clutch! Most Gos's normally go down again within 21-28 days, smaller birds earlier! I'll then hatch the first clutch in the Incubator and rear them for 8 days maximum and put the rings on, if they won't hold the rings which is likely on the smaller males, I use a peice of Micropour tape in a funnel shape to keep them in place! its then a case of going in the aviary and removing her second clutch eggs and replaceing them with the first clutch youngsters! Hopefully if everything goes well I will then hatch the second clutch in the Incubator and rear them again to 8 days maximum, by this time the first clutch will have been P/R to branching stage, they will then be caught up and placed in a Nursery aviary together until sold from 11 weeks on, the second clutch will be put back with the parents to rear! obviousley having some foster parent birds can make things easier, I have even used Harris's in the past to rear Gos's and they make a wonderfull job of them.

I have to look at the situation as the season goes on and decide on whats going to rear what, sometimes I swap Gos eggs around between Harris's and Imprint Gos's, its a hard one as I have had some birds for no reason at all which wil fail to rear even though they have reared in the past! if this happens I have to look between other Gos's or Harris's for Foster parents ;), obviousley any Imprints ordered will be gone as soon as I can sex them straight from the brooder.

Cheers

Tony

Cheers Tony sounds very interesting and a lot of work involved, how is it you go about introducing the chicks back to the parents?

All The Best,

PUG

Hello PUG

I basically just go in and take her eggs and replace them with the chicks or if I'll take first clutch Branchers I'll stick them in the nursery avairy and stick the second lutch youngsters in the nest, I'll watch thhem foe awhile on the camera to make sure everything is ok! after that everything is in the lap of the Gods ;).

Cheers

Tony

Guest bald eagle1

Tony, [bANNED TEXT] goshawks look good to me and im currently considering getting another bird. my female harris i got off u last year was put down to moult end of january and shes had amixed diet Quail,rat,chicks and venny!shes better fed than me.her feathers have dropped off and new ones coming in rapid,she seems to be moulting quicker than storm(4yr male)has done in past is this because its her first moult?

this is my first time on site so would appreciate any opinions on redtail or gos as my second bird

cheers gary

Tony, [bANNED TEXT] goshawks look good to me and im currently considering getting another bird. my female harris i got off u last year was put down to moult end of january and shes had amixed diet Quail,rat,chicks and venny!shes better fed than me.her feathers have dropped off and new ones coming in rapid,she seems to be moulting quicker than storm(4yr male)has done in past is this because its her first moult?

this is my first time on site so would appreciate any opinions on redtail or gos as my second bird

cheers gary

Hello Gary

How's it going mate? a Red will certainly put you on the right track for a Gos! I'm not saying you could'nt do a Gos now so don't get me wrong, but a arsey Redtail will try you out a bit more than a Harris temperament wise! having said that if you can make a decent job of a Red you'll certainly do a Goshawk! the other option is to Imprint a Gos and Cut out all the frenetic Behaviour associated with a P/R bird, Imprints do have their bad points although some people swear by them and probably at them but do well with them ;).

The Redtail certainly won't be a better Hunter than the Harris and if anything flights off the fist will be slower but its a good learning Curve, when you do start flying a Goshawk after a Broadwing in the field there'll be no going back! they're adictive with a capital A :good:., having said that I'll probably be sick of the sight of them by the end of the breeding season.

Cheers

Tony