line breeding?

4 hours ago, howdeeposxxt said:

I keep and work bitches as a rule.... Just retired one end of this season getting on for double figures... Took a litter from her at 6 yr old and she was lined with a dog last summer but unfortunately had 1 pup that she killed.... I had a bitch here from the first litter that worked, but not to a standard where I was happy to take a litter from her,no other bitches in the litter.  she went to some lads with a gun pack, suit their needs more than mine. I threw everything at the old bitch, she got me results where other dogs had failed miserabley up and down the country. I'm sat here thinking what to do? Do I line the old bitch again and prepare for the heartache if she loses them again? Or worst still her if there's complications? Or forget it and go down a different route with young stuff I've bought In with peds I'm not 100% sure are true or I can trust ? Taking someones word on them? I have only ever bred for myself and a few other lads, that ended up doing  the dirty on me..... No way so long as I got a hole in my arse would I ask them for anything fullstop. Theres a dog going strong from the first litter I'd like to fold back in and try and keep something going but no viable bitch other than its dam. Any suggestions from those of you in the know? Or do I just give up and lose the blood start again? I have thought maybe I should of just bred from them at a younger age but dont believe that to be the right thing to do...  in my heart of hearts, a dog/bitch needs testing not just a season or two. The old bitch in question lost her first litter, had 4 pups second time around then last time the one bitch pup she killed, is it worth trying her again??? To be honest there's not a vet I trust within 50miles of here having been stung when breeding my Lurcher bitch in the past. Tried giving me shit last time over the bitches age.... But happy enough to let folks drag litter after litter from their frenchies at 12 month old. Cheeky cnuts

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If breeding terriers or any working animal was as easy as some profess wouldn't we all have a yard of workers ? I've only had one lifetime,  I'm no expert but I can tell you what I've come to kno

i've been lucky enough to chat about breeding with some of what i class as greats worker breeders of the type i like , but as Dillydog has said we only have the one life time, i've had my own terriers

Exactly,  you can eliminate all the luck factors,  you can go to the legends with their legendary dogs and bitches and still produce shit.  I'm with you 100% in taking the guess work out of breeding a

Posted Images

A mate of mine had as good a bitch any man could want. He worked her until she had proven herself with a few season under her belt. Bred her twice to two good dogs and both litters wasn’t worth a Light ! They just didn’t click there’s no rhyme or reason  no garrantees .

We was discussing breeding her one last time when my mate past away ( digging to he’s bitch ) now what I’ve learnt from this tale is once a bitch or dog has proven itself with a few season work . get it bred lol as Dd said we’ve only one lifetime ! It could be the dogs or your number that’s time is up  have no regrets lads ?

• Like 8
58 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

I keep and work bitches as a rule.... Just retired one end of this season getting on for double figures... Took a litter from her at 6 yr old and she was lined with a dog last summer but unfortunately had 1 pup that she killed.... I had a bitch here from the first litter that worked, but not to a standard where I was happy to take a litter from her,no other bitches in the litter.  she went to some lads with a gun pack, suit their needs more than mine. I threw everything at the old bitch, she got me results where other dogs had failed miserabley up and down the country. I'm sat here thinking what to do? Do I line the old bitch again and prepare for the heartache if she loses them again? Or worst still her if there's complications? Or forget it and go down a different route with young stuff I've bought In with peds I'm not 100% sure are true or I can trust ? Taking someones word on them? I have only ever bred for myself and a few other lads, that ended up doing  the dirty on me..... No way so long as I got a hole in my arse would I ask them for anything fullstop. Theres a dog going strong from the first litter I'd like to fold back in and try and keep something going but no viable bitch other than its dam. Any suggestions from those of you in the know? Or do I just give up and lose the blood start again? I have thought maybe I should of just bred from them at a younger age but dont believe that to be the right thing to do...  in my heart of hearts, a dog/bitch needs testing not just a season or two. The old bitch in question lost her first litter, had 4 pups second time around then last time the one bitch pup she killed, is it worth trying her again??? To be honest there's not a vet I trust within 50miles of here having been stung when breeding my Lurcher bitch in the past. Tried giving me shit last time over the bitches age.... But happy enough to let folks drag litter after litter from their frenchies at 12 month old. Cheeky cnuts

go with your old bitch don't get tied up with what ifs , breeding anything has a risk involved get her back to the best working  related dog and take the chance , as all ready said a lot of luck or chance involved ,

i once bred a dog and bitch and got 5 pups , good enough to grace any kennel anywhere , i've got this game cracked i think to myself , next litter brought me back to ground all but one where rubbish, 3rd litter thank god i was back on track , but i had to take a chance   

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, Glyn..... said:

go with your old bitch don't get tied up with what ifs , breeding anything has a risk involved get her back to the best working  related dog and take the chance , as all ready said a lot of luck or chance involved ,

i once bred a dog and bitch and got 5 pups , good enough to grace any kennel anywhere , i've got this game cracked i think to myself , next litter brought me back to ground all but one where rubbish, 3rd litter thank god i was back on track , but i had to take a chance   

Was it the same sire you used all 3 times to the same dam?

Just now, Glyn..... said:

yes mate 

That's interesting it goes to show that the genotype and phenotype will line up different whatever way the dice rolls. Recessive genes or not. Some used to say litter wastage was higher in older bitchs.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Daniel cain said:

If I was in your position DC I would look for a dog with similar blood and put it over your old bitch again. It would be worth the risk Imo. She has done you proud over the years and you will no doubt regret it when u look back if you haven't got anything down off her to bring on. It's a risk but 1 worth taking if you really rate her. 

• Like 3
54 minutes ago, jiggy said:

That's interesting it goes to show that the genotype and phenotype will line up different whatever way the dice rolls. Recessive genes or not. Some used to say litter wastage was higher in older bitchs.

yes that theory is wide spread in my area mainly hound men but they don't like to breed tight neither , from my own observations, i've not found it not  to be true on the whole older bitches have less pups especially if they have had other litters as a egg can't take hold on scare tissue left from the imbecile of previous litters, this can also cause miscarriage  and she may have a little bit of a difficult time rearing them  just because she's getting on but the genetics's will be the same  , i suppose if the bitch used to have 6 pups and two where rubbish , then when older she had 3 pup and 2 where rubbish, people may think she can no longer produce the workers 

Edited by Glyn.....

Defo worth the risk dc I lined my bitch at 9 years old she came with 3 one died .. i kept the dog and my pal kept the bitch both are flying an working well... Gonna line the old dog again this time. She be coming up 12  this time an in .still dig to her regularly... end of last season dug 19ft to her she  never move an inch an to say ther was a couple of dogs treyed before her to which they couldn't find and stay .. ill miss her when she s gone 

• Like 6

I haven't got anything more recent, he's just starting to shape up and loose the puppy fat. He was born on the 21st of March last year and he saw his first fox a few days ago. 

20170722_182109-1-1.jpg

Edited by dillydog
  • Like 10
1 hour ago, dillydog said:

I haven't got anything more recent, he's just starting to shape up and loose the puppy fat. He was born on the 21st of March last year and he saw his first fox a few days ago. 

20170722_182109-1-1.jpg

I like him dilly , a little belter