Gamest breed?..

Obviously the Bull, Wheatens etc are game dogs sometimes used in the production of lurchers,..

But what breed would you say, other than the breeds commonly labelled as "Game", would you say is the gamest...

Ive seen a few Labrodors kill Foxs, and some Collies do a good job...i had a Spaniel that drew a few Foxs, but it didnt like the job, and did quit after two!..lol.

Ive heard some of the German types (GSP, GWP etc) can be hard...any storys, exsperiances??.

Kye,..

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IF YOUR DISCOUNTING SUCH BREEDS AS DOGO ARGENTINA AND MASTIF TYPES OR B*N DOGS, THEN THERE ARE TERRIERS, PATERDALES ECT.

IF YOUR ON ABOUT THE PRODUCTION OF LURCHERS THEN LOOK NO FURTHER THAN THE GREYOUND.

MOST GREYOUNDS HAVE PLENTY OF BOTTLE :)

what do you mean by game? there is only ONE dog in existence that can be defined as game and we all know what dog that is. even some of them are not game lol . i think people misuse the term game a lot i would not refer to any hunting dog as game as it is not the correct word to use

u all know what i think is the gamest is but if its any thing else i would say the wheaton after that id say the bedlinton if its the rilinton line as most of the bedlintons are showie bambi shit but if u get a nice working rilinton line put across a good greyhound ud have some half tidy dogs thats only my opinion as every ones different as iv got a german wired hair pointer which kills foxes no prob and is doing well on all quarry but iv not put him to a breeding program yet to vouch for that type of breed but iv heard that theyre half tidy dogs aswell put across a greyhound

the german wire haired pointer is a very underestimated dog turk very game more game than people think they might be,also the german weimeraner again a very dominant strong willed canine,id like to see more of them being used but i doubt they will be,the bull cross is just consitently better and and made for the job.....

there's a difference between agression and guts in the field. most greyhounds have all the guts needed to work and thankfully not to much agression. the right cross should maintain that temperament, agressive dogs are a pain in the butt best left to those that don't know better.

Guest midnight_runner
Obviously the Bull, Wheatens etc are game dogs sometimes used in the production of lurchers,..

But what breed would you say, other than the breeds commonly labelled as "Game", would you say is the gamest...

Ive seen a few Labrodors kill Foxs, and some Collies do a good job...i had a Spaniel that drew a few Foxs, but it didnt like the job, and did quit after two!..lol.

Ive heard some of the German types (GSP, GWP etc) can be hard...any storys, exsperiances??.

Kye,..

ithink the kerry blue should be in with a shout :yes:

Guest jimmytwodugs

the gamest and hardy dog i ever saw was a ( brazilan fila ) i lived in spain for a while and my [bANNED TEXT] had one

we lived in a small farm, and i came out the house one morning to a gift of a fox carcass on the doorstep

not bad considering he was only 8 months old :yes:

Taffy, a mate of mine who comes over to train a few times a year has a mate that keeps Kerry Blues...he said they are quite "up for it", but they havent been tested to the best of my knowledge?..

As for Airedales,...i dont rate them as a breed in a whole...not the ones over here anyway,...if you ask me, a dog that is supposed to be a terrier, but weighs in between 45-75lbs, they shouldnt be baying at much...but guys that use them on Pigs and the like, they show pictures of three Airedales baying at pigs...we have a Staff, and when we took him to OK, he held a 120lb Pig, the first he ever saw,...he only weighs 27lbs when he is fit!!!...

Airedales are hunted like hounds over here...but they DONT have the scenting ability of a hound, and they dont have the bottle of a Bull dog...i dont rate them, but there just not my cup of tea thats all...im sure people wouldnt keep them if they was crap, so there must be a good reason that lads run them...i just dont like them.

Kye..

PS...Taffy, i tried to call sunday, but it was engaged mate...maybe give you a call this weekend?..

Yeah, ive seen Grey take foxs to,..as have most im sure...but killing one or two a fortnight is VERY different from killing 4-6 in a night single handed,...

I like Greyhounds though...my mate has a GREAT Greyhound bitch in OK,...she is slow for a Greyhound, but still fast enough to bring home the bacon!...plus she has only had one bad injury in her carrer (touch wood!)...a real nice bitch to walk out with..

Kye,..

Guest A Sick Old Man

I can not help but think its all in the Dog rather than the breed, we all know the jack Russell.

But you have all, I have no doubt seen Jacks that are a willful pile of rubbish and others that are scared of a falling leaf, and others that just love work and getting their quarry. And still manage to come back to call, and not chew your house to bits.

I think this is the same with all animals, its not what "make" it is, though that does obviously help, its what proven blood lines are coursing through its viens. I bet some top working dog breeders who have put top dogs together have to get rid of a few duffers who just do not cut the mustard, and thats from proven lines!

And the most important factor is the training, good working dogs are trained to a better standard than your average pet :good:

Just a thought,

Sick :sick: