Closing eye while shooting?

Hi,

I have been shooting with a shotgun now for about 4 months. I pigeon shoot and wildfowl pluss the odd clay shoot. I have noticed that I am in the habbit of closing my left eye to judge lead. Does this matter??

The big question is, are you hitting them with your eye closed?

If you are, then dont change anything. IMO

I used to shoot with left eye open, now sometimes i do, sometimes i dont.

But making changes to muscle memory is a long time process.

It takes 20-30 hours of repetitivness to consign something to your subconcious memory, ie doing it without thinking.

So expect hard work if you want to change what comes naturally to you..

Some of the best shots i know, shoot left eye open. for the very reason you identify, good range judging.

Best of luck

Matt

Hi,

I have been shooting with a shotgun now for about 4 months. I pigeon shoot and wildfowl pluss the odd clay shoot. I have noticed that I am in the habbit of closing my left eye to judge lead. Does this matter??

The big question is, are you hitting them with your eye closed?

If you are, then dont change anything. IMO

I used to shoot with left eye open, now sometimes i do, sometimes i dont.

But making changes to muscle memory is a long time process.

It takes 20-30 hours of repetitivness to consign something to your subconcious memory, ie doing it without thinking.

So expect hard work if you want to change what comes naturally to you..

Some of the best shots i know, shoot left eye open. for the very reason you identify, good range judging.

Best of luck

Matt

Yes Im hitting stuff. Doing well. But just dont know if i will only reach a certain standard by closing one eye

Hello i have shot for 20yrs & shoot the same way as Cajunrules friend dose. I track with both eyes & mount shoot with left eye shut. I can shoot with both eyes open too & only do on the odd ocation when a few targets present ie ducks/geese/rabbits/pigeon etc.

The thing you need to know is, which eye is your dominant eye!!!!

If your right handed and right eye dominant, you can keep both eyes open, as your right eye will be focussed down the barrel and the left eyes sight will not take over and put your aim off! And vice-versa with left handed/left eyed

If your right handed and left eye dominant, you need to block the left eyes vision, either by closing the left eye, or waring specs with a patch on the lens. otherwise IT will be the eye that is aiming, but as it isnt lined up with the bottom of the barrel your shot will be going a good bit left of the target. Another option for this problem is to change to handling a gun off your left shoulder.

If your eyes are of equal dominance, which is what mine are, you have the same problems, but not all the time, as the focus can be blurred or like double vision.

After I had my problem diagnosed, I have been keeping my left eye shut when shooting, and my performance has improved no end.!! Not that im a great shot or anything.

Hi,

I think it all has to do with which eye is dominant!

I'm right handed but left eye dominant, which means I can hit nowt with both eyes open! Instead I have to completely close my left eye whilst shooting, once somebody pointed this out to me the difference was immediate!

Hope this helps!

The thing you need to know is, which eye is your dominant eye!!!!

If your right handed and right eye dominant, you can keep both eyes open, as your right eye will be focussed down the barrel and the left eyes sight will not take over and put your aim off! And vice-versa with left handed/left eyed

If your right handed and left eye dominant, you need to block the left eyes vision, either by closing the left eye, or waring specs with a patch on the lens. otherwise IT will be the eye that is aiming, but as it isnt lined up with the bottom of the barrel your shot will be going a good bit left of the target. Another option for this problem is to change to handling a gun off your left shoulder.

If your eyes are of equal dominance, which is what mine are, you have the same problems, but not all the time, as the focus can be blurred or like double vision.

After I had my problem diagnosed, I have been keeping my left eye shut when shooting, and my performance has improved no end.!! Not that im a great shot or anything.

Looks like we're on the same page, your just 3 minutes ahead! ;)