ATTIRE,(KIT FOR THE JOB)

Guest scutt

Guest scutt

As the season closes,and things get quiet on this forum maybe you could spend a few moments sharing views on your clothing preferences whilst ferreting,

Our pastime usually encompasses the coldest time of year,out of all the field persuits we are more likely to be soaking wet, covered in mud and shite from a plethora of beasts,and blood and guts form our quarry,

We can often be seen upside down in blackthorn hedges,how do we protect ourselves from such hazards? ,What do you reccomend?,what are a waste of time? As I guess most of us are of a working stock,what do you think is good value for money?

Hopefully this will build into a valuble resourse of information for starters etc,

I'll start the ball rolling;

Recomended;

1. waterproof boots(rubber steel toecapped with a massive welt)

2. A very large fitting tough thornproof/waterproof coat with a lot of sealed pockets(any one buried thier car keys?)

3. warm tight fitting hat.

Please feel free to add,take the piss,etc Scutt

As the season closes,and things get quiet on this forum maybe you could spend a few moments sharing views on your clothing preferences whilst ferreting,

Our pastime usually encompasses the coldest time of year,out of all the field persuits we are more likely to be soaking wet, covered in mud and shite from a plethora of beasts,and blood and guts form our quarry,

We can often be seen upside down in blackthorn hedges,how do we protect ourselves from such hazards? ,What do you reccomend?,what are a waste of time? As I guess most of us are of a working stock,what do you think is good value for money?

Hopefully this will build into a valuble resourse of information for starters etc,

I'll start the ball rolling;

Recomended;

1. waterproof boots(rubber steel toecapped with a massive welt)

2. A very large fitting tough thornproof/waterproof coat with a lot of sealed pockets(any one buried thier car keys?)

3. warm tight fitting hat.

Please feel free to add,take the piss,etc Scutt

do not i repeat do not forget your long johns

Guest scutt

Thanks for those replies,may I add some more;

Not recomended'

1.Wellingtons, a walk of over a mile or so in them I find f'kin unbearable,second only to trainers for causing athletes foot,and don't your feet get frozen in them when you stand still for 10 seconds?

2.Waxed cotton leggings,supported by press studs to your belt with no arse protection,so when you sit down the brown star gets a soaking.

3.Cheap waxed cotton jackets,might look the part,but after the first shower of rain will only fit a shetland jockey, bursting for a Jeff Hurst?without a Solway zip you will be filling up those wellingtons.

4.Jeans,not comftable,offer no protection against cold,wet,thorns or barbed wire fences.

Recomended;

1.Forces issue foulweather overtrousers,two ply keep the cold and wet out ,

2.Thinsulate hats,very warm but won't cost the earth.

3.Casio digital watch,swop the strap for a nylon one,boy these can take some abuse.

By the way does anyone use any form of barrier cream prior to ferreting ?as i'm told soil contains literally millions of bacteria spores,who has'nt come home from a days outing without dirty and bleeding hands?

keep em coming, SCUTT

[bANNED TEXT] if you buy a decent pair of wellys you can walk for miles.

Le Chamaue Vizanord full length zip and neoprene lining :good:

Easy to get on and off.

you can walk for miles, more comfy than most walking boots.

JOEB

I reckon STIHL chainsaw boots are about the best boots for the job if a bit heavy! waterproof/thornproof/well protected/warm & compfey-tweed thornproof jacket is pretty much the same spec too. Oh in case i forget a spade is an essential piece of kit-for all that diggin!! :D :whistle: :D;)

:haha: The Chimp :)

The day I start worrying about bacteria in cut hands, I'll give up :D

Regards Rob

Rob :D:D:D:good:

If you are really worried about cuts, i suppose you could just stick a packet of anti-bacterial wipes in your pocket,

I use them to clean my cooking kit at fishing.

JOEB