WHATS HAPPING AROUND THE COUNTRY

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

morning Folks, we have got a river and about 700 acres of stubble in land from teh moray coast, I havent managed up yet this week but teh farmer is reporting big numbers of geese coming into teh stubble. Not sure where they overnight, could be the coast or maybe echt. more investigation required.

What is the best way to take these on, would it be to lay decoys before daylight? and wait and see if they come in?

Tips and pointers gratefully recieved.

have a walk around and look for fresh goose crap, lay decoys there is small groups of 3 and 4, scattered over this area. Give them a landing zone (i.e. a horseshoe shape) and get yourself hidden downwind of that zone. Calls not really required if they were feeding there anyway.

A good box of minimag 3's through a 1/2 choke, neck shot, and goose in the freezer! good luck

well! i had a look under the moon last night and what a flight it was, there was alot of geese coming through but i did not manage to get any because they were to high.

after a while it came to clear with no cloud so they became real hard to see but i will be back down tonight for another look .

and hopefully connect with one or two .

Out for the first time last night on the my marsh.

Was out early to get back to grips with the place, sat on a well know spot with a few deeks out for a bit, then moved down to another pill for the flight.

We saw Thousands and Thousands of Teal and a few hundred Mallard, one came into Shot! And guess what, I saw him as he was about 6ft above my head and not a chance at him!!

Oh well, always next time, but never guarantee a bird on the marsh eh? :laugh:

Hopefully a better tide and light next time.

SS :thumbs:

there has been good early numbers of pintail and widgeon in morcombe bay but the real numbers have yet to turn up the nxt few days should start showing up there seams to be alot of mallard around has anyone else found this ? also more teal than a lot of years but very few geese about only the local populations which even these have thinned out in the last few wks there is massive numbers of pinks around southport as usual around martinmere

• 2 weeks later...

well i have been chasing geese since sunday and had 4 pinks sofar this week, i went down this morning was expecting the same amount as the last few days but too my shock there was more , i was talking to anothere fowler and we both reckon there is about 15 thousand + now so roll on the moon .

NOt been on the foreshore yet due to new baby, however plenty of Mallard coming into the small flight pond I shoot (Banrsley). My friend had two Wigeon on the Humber last week, Pinks were about but are flying up the middle of river.

Last Saturday saw five or six skiens of pinks flying west over M1 Junc 30 and on Sunday saw about fifty/sixty Pinks flying Eastwards over Barnsley Wakefield area, hopefully heading towards the Humber, if I ever manage to get over!

not had any geese yet, [couple of the shambles have had a few pinks] but seen plenty, there are several thousand roosting near our shoot and flighting out to the Ribble, and over in the bay [Cockerham Marsh] there are thousands flighting in over Pilling and that area these birds are skyhigh, and the permission over there [where its feasible to shoot them] is mostly Wildfowling Clubs. we are getting plenty of mallard flighting in on various flashes over the shoot, the marshy stuff is brimming with snipe and we are getting the geese starting to come lower across us, so fingers crossed first goose of the season in the next couple of weeks.

not the greatest pics but hope it gives you an idea

IMG_6921.jpg

IMG_6918.jpg

birds lifting off the fields near the marsh at Pilling

Edited by barraboy