Firearms Certificate

Sporting shooter...Top bloke! Just a couple of questions,

The bit about "firearms in my possession at time of this application". Does this include shotguns?

AND

The land I have permission on will probably have to be inspected. Will the FAO want me, or the owner to show him each individual piece of land?

Cheers.....

Deerhound,

No need to list your shotguns on there, just if you have any Section 1 guns, the likes of rifles, pistols etc but as it's a grant I'm guessing you wont have any so just write "NONE" in the top right hand box.

As for your second question, I've had a few different experiences with this. Sometimes I've known an FEO to be happy with just you showing them around, others insist on having the land owner there as well, which can be a pain as they're normally busy people. Best just to ask your FEO :thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...

just filled my forms out for fac air thanks to this thread,i have a question. ive used sub 12ftlbs air rifles for several years on and off . the last 3 plus years using them regular for pest control on my permissions. working with the farming community for the last 27 years i get lots of offers to shoot on there land. is this worth writing down and putting in with my fac application to give me a better chance of an open ticket. or am i pushing my luck

Hi Adrian

I can't give you an answer for sure as my FAC application included a .22LR alongside my FAC air. However, I can say that there was no mention by my FEO of the air rifle part being open on its own.

As I work as a pest controller, I was given a split licence. This means that, if I'm getting paid to act as a pest controller, the ticket was open for both guns and so I could make the decisions without consulting my FEO. If I was shooting for the fun of it, I had to get the land cleared with my FEO. Yeah I know it sounds a bit strange but, as I don't do much 'hobby' shooting, it suits me down to the ground.

I think you have to look at this thing in separate sections.

As you have to show that you need an FAC air to carry out your pest control effectively, I think it would be a good idea for you to include photo copies or details of the permissions you intend to use the gun on with an emphasis on the size of the properties and the safety aspects - are there any roads or footpaths running by or through the permission.

By doing so I think it will increase the chances of you getting the FAC in the first place which, after all, is no 'done deal' as yet.

Then, if the FEO knows the land and/or it is within the rules, he may make the ticket open. If he can't or won't, then no amount of paperwork will help you.

However, even if it is granted as 'closed', at least you've got the thing and so all you need to do is to behave for a year or so and then you can apply to have it opened. Whether that is granted or not will depend upon how you have conducted yourself both on your permissions and with the FEO when asking to have land cleared. The more you show yourself to be responsible, the more he will be inclined to open your ticket up.

Paul, iv put down one permission for what I need on the form. But have others, but aren't cleared I don't think. Plus, iv had permission rejected because I only use an airgun, and wasn't deemed humane and would only allow permission if I had sgc fac , this was the real reason for me applying, and the fact fox are everywhere on every permission I have. The reason iv applied for .22lr ,.17hmr, and fac air aswell as a dedicated .223 fox gun was because I got told it wouldnt make any difference. Although all could come in handy on every perm. When I'm seen to be able to own a fac, I then will get feo to come around other permissions. Do u think that is reasonable?

Rob - at the end of the day, the most important thing you can do is to show that you need the calibre of guns you've applied for and that they are not there just to look good or fill up your gun cabinet. I would be inclined to repeat your thoughts (as above) to your FEO and let him decide on the best way forward. If he is the cautious type he's likely to restrict you to the guns he thinks you need. If he's a bit more adventurous, he'll give you the guns you think you need. But, until your ticket is granted, you won't know which one he is.

Adrian - totally agree with you. I suspect that some people try to get too smart when it comes to the application and it back fires. It's the FEO's job to suss out the ones who aren't all that genuine. So, when he does his visit, just be yourself and be open and honest.

Best of luck to you both.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had my fac 22 rimmy and airgun for 4yr shotgun for years ,want to put in variation for 243 have good reason,should I put in a covering letter with experience ?

That should be covered in the interview, but you can put down the address of land you intend to use it on.

• 2 months later...

Iv just applied for my FAC, iv got my visit on Saturday, they guy seems really helpful.

This thread has been great by the way.

Iv heard so many varying stories and many of which are bizarre.

I sent my paperwork in last week, and they called me today, a whole 7 days after. My visit will be on Saturday 12 o'clock sharp.

I too have put down FAC Air (all though i was told to state every calibre id use FAC Air in)

.17HMR

and

.22LR

They seem so laid back about it????

Im wondering if its because Im a serving soldier with rank?

My OC (a Major if you dont know) did one reference and I also included in a letter with the application detailing all my range and live fire qualifications.