Todays flights

ayrshiretaxidermy

Today 2lb 11 3/4oz.

Found some gulls within 5 minutes of leaving home. They were in a turf field. Parked up on the corner and held her up. Off she went, wide out to my right, then headed for the gulls, climbing as she went. She went with them as the headed out and managed to get above them. There then followed, perhaps the most exciting flight i have seen to date. She was putting in stoops and climbing back in amongst them to maybe 500 600 feet. She singled out an immature Herring gull and had it under some serious pressure. It then surrendered about 100 foot up or so, and she bound to it, and landing in the middle of the turf field.

We were lucky enough to witness the whole flight from start to finish. The guys in the turf cutting machine had a bit of entertainment as well. :biglaugh:

Then went on to find some more in a grassy field. Slipped swift from the roadside, and again, she bound to one as it was climbing away from her.

Image056.jpg

Image059.jpg

Image061.jpg

Today 2lb 11 3/4oz.

Found some gulls within 5 minutes of leaving home. They were in a turf field. Parked up on the corner and held her up. Off she went, wide out to my right, then headed for the gulls, climbing as she went. She went with them as the headed out and managed to get above them. There then followed, perhaps the most exciting flight i have seen to date. She was putting in stoops and climbing back in amongst them to maybe 500 600 feet. She singled out an immature Herring gull and had it under some serious pressure. It then surrendered about 100 foot up or so, and she bound to it, and landing in the middle of the turf field.

We were lucky enough to witness the whole flight from start to finish. The guys in the turf cutting machine had a bit of entertainment as well. :biglaugh:

Then went on to find some more in a grassy field. Slipped swift from the roadside, and again, she bound to one as it was climbing away from her.

Top Bombing :clapper::clapper:

Cracking stuff.. :victory: ..i love them peri's but i dont really have suitable land to fly one..maybe one day though..

Cheer's

Millet

Hi Millet,

Shes a per/saker hybrid.

I know the top bird is a hybrid but i was looking at the last picture..is that a peri saker aswell.. :hmm: ..

Millet

Top bird is a 3/4 Gyr/Saker female. The other is a 3/4 Per/Saker female.

Back out today. There were a few gulls on the same field as yesterday. Unhooded her and held her up, but she was more interested in the passage gulls that going past 1/4 mile away. Off she went after those. We only saw her climb as she set off after them, then lost her over the hilltops. Tracked her down 10 minutes later on her gull.

Found some more for Swift. Again, she was off in a flash and over the top of a hilly part of the field. We saw her stoop and throw up a few times, then she went from view. Telem out again, and 20 minutes later, found her on her gull.

Image065.jpg

Image068.jpg

Image072.jpg

Been there before tracking birds down with telemetry and picking them up on a kill! I had a Pere/Saker from Gary Wall a good few years back which would quite happily sit on the arse of a Crow/Rook into the next vicinity but 99% of the time the flights was missed watching the arse ends disapeer in the distance....

if you enjoy tracking its a good sport but I now lack the stamina or the enthusiasm for all the tracking, The one bird I had that seemed demorilised Rooks and Crows fom the slip was a Pere x Prairie...

Been there before tracking birds down with telemetry and picking them up on a kill! I had a Pere/Saker from Gary Wall a good few years back which would quite happily sit on the arse of a Crow/Rook into the next vicinity but 99% of the time the flights was missed watching the arse ends disapeer in the distance....

if you enjoy tracking its a good sport but I now lack the stamina or the enthusiasm for all the tracking, The one bird I had that seemed demorilised Rooks and Crows fom the slip was a Pere x Prairie...

Bit windy and showery today, but went out all the same. First slip was on a large flock of gulls on a grassy field. Not on a farm i have permission on, so went up and asked if it was ok to have a go. Another farm added to the list.

Slipped Swift on them, and she had one singled out and on the ground 3 times, but the wind played a part and she couldnt get back round in time to finish it off. Plus, she was getting harrased by a couple of crows at the same time, so lured her back in.

Next slip, was a similar set up. Unhooded her, and off she went, climbing into the flock as they rose. She bound to one around 40' up.

Was gonna call it a day at that, but on the way home, there were more in that turf field from the other day. So got Geraldine kitted up, and showed her those. Off she went to the left, keeping the gulls to her right. One gull was away from the flock, and she was rowing that one in. She got upto and over it, threw up, stalled, flipped over and stooped and bound to it.

Image074.jpg

Image079.jpg

Image080.jpg

Image082.jpg

Today Geraldine 2lb 11 1/2oz, Swift 1lb 14oz.

Found a field with 4 gulls in. Was kitting up Swift and got a call from Stephen, so waited till he arrived before slipping her.

Off she went, and singled out an immature gull. Turned it a few times, and it tried to make for a small splash. It changed its mind and went to go into a much bigger splash in the centre of the field. She had it turned once more on the way there, but it beat her to it. I woulda thought that was that, and got the lure out. She skirted the splash and went low over the top of the water and bound to the gull.

Good job i had my wellies on, not that they helped as it was over the tops of them. Looking back to the car, it was good to see the watchers were having a good laugh.

Next, a field with a load of gulls in. Slipped Geraldine, and off she went. Had one under pressure, but it made it to a splash as well, but she wasnt for going swimming, and lured her back.

On a mile, and another field full of gulls. Slipped her again, and saw her put in a nice stoop, but couldnt see the outcome as it was just outta sight. We drove round and found her on her gull.

Image084.jpg

Image086.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Today 2lb 11 3/4oz.

Image056.jpg

Image059.jpg

Image061.jpg

i hate peri's there a pain always killing pigeons

Love to watch peregrines hunting, used to help a guy who flew them when I was a kid, back in 1978, he flew two at a time at grouse, a lot of running about for me at the time, but I was fascinated when they stooped at grouse, I would love one myself, but don't have that sort of land.