how do you drop the weight on your harris hawk

Guest richy

Up to about 4 years ago I had a small line from peruvian origin. I picked them up 2 years prior to this and bred them for a couple of years but they was never very productive and fired out a succesion of infertile eggs...

The youngsters was tiny and the males topping out around 1lb 4! Females at the very top 2lb, cracking little birds though but as it always happens in this country they was a b*****d to shift, too many people with Big willy's who want big birds :hmm:, which is a shame.......

Jasper

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Up to about 4 years ago I had a small line from peruvian origin. I picked them up 2 years prior to this and bred them for a couple of years but they was never very productive and fired out a succesion of infertile eggs...

The youngsters was tiny and the males topping out around 1lb 4! Females at the very top 2lb, cracking little birds though but as it always happens in this country they was a b*****d to shift, too many people with Big willy's who want big birds :hmm:, which is a shame.......

Jasper

There seems to be quite a bit of interest in the small peruvian harris hawks at the minute,its a pity you havent still got em(just your luck)

The pair went to wales for £400 :icon_eek:. the female turned out to have a small problem with one of her eyes but from a Breeding point of view they was fine when they produced fertile eggs....

when this old pair of Harris's have finished I'll be finished breeding them I think although I have kept back a male which is now 4 to replace this old pair, the mother is now 16 and Produced two clutches every year for me since the 90's, the pair produced 7 this year.....

This is just a few of the youngsters! the males come out of the aviary around 1lb 13 and some good size females. the father which is not a big bird was brought in from Mexico a good few years back, the mother is a nice size and tops all days around 2lb 13, not the biggest I know but still nice, the top bird on the bow is the male I kept back in his first year.....

Jasper

post-251-1223297459.jpg

post-251-1223297482.jpg

post-251-1223297498.jpg

post-251-1223297504.jpg

The pair went to wales for £400 :icon_eek:. the female turned out to have a small problem with one of her eyes but from a Breeding point of view they was fine when they produced fertile eggs....

when this old pair of Harris's have finished I'll be finished breeding them I think although I have kept back a male which is now 4 to replace this old pair, the mother is now 16 and Produced two clutches every year for me since the 90's, the pair produced 7 this year.....

This is just a few of the youngsters! the males come out of the aviary around 1lb 13 and some good size females. the father which is not a big bird was brought in from Mexico a good few years back, the mother is a nice size and tops all days around 2lb 13, not the biggest I know but still nice, the top bird on the bow is the male I kept back in his first year.....

Jasper

Nice birds mate do you have any pictures of the peruvian harris hawks you had

No mate I only kept them for two seasons and wasn't that bothered about them to be Honest! most of the pictures above came from people who brought birds. weather they was pure Peruvian I don't know but they definitley had that blood running through them acording to the guy I did the deal with, to this day I have never seen Harris's that tiny.......

No mate I only kept them for two seasons and wasn't that bothered about them to be Honest! most of the pictures above came from people who brought birds. weather they was pure Peruvian I don't know but they definitley had that blood running through them acording to the guy I did the deal with, to this day I have never seen Harris's that tiny.......

Those little males would make crackin hedgerow hunters,just think of the fun you could have

Jasper

just wonderin jasper about the male out of ya pair wat sort of weight is he because ive bin told that the males determin the size of the youngsters with harris hawks :hmm:

I know mate I like the smaller birds from a flying point of view! but I do like the bigger male Gos's for the game birds and Bunny's. the trouble is from a breeding point of view I can virtualy Guarantee if I have 3 young female or male Gos's in a aviary it would be the Biggest that was sold first, for some reason people seem to think "Big" is better but there is nothing further from the truth...

I was talking to Millet the other evening about Finn x German Goshawks! in the past I have had 3 males all off the same parents in a avairy, one was slightly bigger than the other two which I would say had taken more Finnish genes from its mother, the other looked near as Damn it 50/50 and the smaller bird looked more German in size shortness of tail, feet and head. the smallest was the last to go and went for £300 but when I used to watch them on camera in the aviary the smaller bird was the Alpha male, he was firs to the food ledge and took total command of the aviary, when he had food the others would scream at him wanting food but wouldn't aproach him, he also had the bottle to steal food off the other siblings....

I told potential buyers and offered him slightly les but I got the impresion they thought I was just trying to sell them the smallest one :doh:, out of the three I know which one I would have liked to fly....

In the piture there is 3 times Finn x German females! just out of interest to anyone having a look if you was picking one what would you look for? would it be size? or perhaps a long bird or a nice short Peer shaped bird? or if you was peering through this hole where I took the pictures which would take your fancy and why? Its a hard one I know as I watch them all day, some people aren't over fussed which makes my life easier but I must admit if I was choseing any of them females as I did the other year it would be the smallest.....

Jasper

post-251-1223308440_thumb.jpg

I know mate I like the smaller birds from a flying point of view! but I do like the bigger male Gos's for the game birds and Bunny's. the trouble is from a breeding point of view I can virtualy Guarantee if I have 3 young female or male Gos's in a aviary it would be the Biggest that was sold first, for some reason people seem to think "Big" is better but there is nothing further from the truth...

I was talking to Millet the other evening about Finn x German Goshawks! in the past I have had 3 males all off the same parents in a avairy, one was slightly bigger than the other two which I would say had taken more Finnish genes from its mother, the other looked near as Damn it 50/50 and the smaller bird looked more German in size shortness of tail, feet and head. the smallest was the last to go and went for £300 but when I used to watch them on camera in the aviary the smaller bird was the Alpha male, he was firs to the food ledge and took total command of the aviary, when he had food the others would scream at him wanting food but wouldn't aproach him, he also had the bottle to steal food off the other siblings....

I told potential buyers and offered him slightly les but I got the impresion they thought I was just trying to sell them the smallest one :doh:, out of the three I know which one I would have liked to fly....

In the piture there is 3 times Finn x German females! just out of interest to anyone having a look if you was picking one what would you look for? would it be size? or perhaps a long bird or a nice short Peer shaped bird? or if you was peering through this hole where I took the pictures which would take your fancy and why? Its a hard one I know as I watch them all day, some people aren't over fussed which makes my life easier but I must admit if I was choseing any of them females as I did the other year it would be the smallest.....

Jasper

Must be me but i always prefer the smaller birds although i have flown larger birds :icon_redface::icon_redface:

Jasper

THINK I WOULD GO FOR THE 1 IN THE MIDDLE MATE ITS A HARD CHOICE THO :victory:

Well could be a hard job really from 2 point of views choosing

1st point being would you choose one of the two at the back eyeing up something through the roof

(2nd) or would you choose the one on the right which has sussed you out looking through the spy hole

If I had to choose it would 90% be the one on the right sat by itself but then again Im not a fussy bugger.