which is fastest?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to be careful when reading the literature. The average speed of top notch greyhounds on the track is near the 40 mph mark but the top end speed while on the straightaways is much higher near the 48 mph mark that has been documented on the track but some have said that certain dogs have reach right near 50 mph undocumented but I believe every bit of it. I know that the coyotes over here have been clocked at right at 43 mph and you should see some of our coldblood field greyhounds get up on them which tells me that they are running over 45 mph on uneven ground but of course that is after live quarry and these same dogs most likely would never put any amount of effort into a lure at the track. What I don't understand is why anybody would be even arguing over which was faster. Its a no brainer to anyone that has had anything to do with running dogs.

i dont know where you get your info mate but theres not a greyhound in the world that would get near 50 mph and as for its a no brainer as you call it to any one thats had anything to do with running dogs ive been involved with dogs for over forty years and that includes open class greyhounds and coursing greyhounds . and pure salukis and lurchers i dont know why i bother to respond to any thread on here because you always get some pillock like your self make a reference to a dog getting close to 50 mph and the sarcky crack about the no brainer ive forgotten more about dogs im having some time off this site because clowns like you are no good for the blood pressure

I didnt mean to up set you at all. I just meant that it was a no brainer between a race of a Greyhound and Saluki. If the Saluki were faster then folks would be breeding Greyhound to Saluki to increase speed of the Greyhound but that aint the case. Also we would be seeing feathers on them ears running around the track and feathers on them ears in them coursing events or straight away coursing events. As far as the 50 mph thing goes, thats probably a stretch but I do not think that 48 mph is much of a stretch. If you do the math, like the average speed of a greyhound at 41.38 counting the start and the turns, I would think that they would have to be hitting well over 45 in the straight aways. When I watch greyhounds race it is clearly evident to me that they slow way up in the turns. Obviously the better ones dont slow as much but they still slow way down to make the turn. Sorry I got your blood pressure up there fella.

It is all down to slow twitch and fast twitch muscle fibres and how each breed has been developed for example short fast bursts or long endurance

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/anatomy...leFiberType.htm

Put a quarter horse against a Tb over a quarter of a mile and it will win hands down!!! after that the Tb will come into its Own

Apply to Greys and Salukis you have your answer , Sals have the Staying power :thumbs:

interesting thread but the saluki would nt get a look in IMHO as Dan said if the\ salukis\ were that fast they would be used over greyhounds, yes I know they already are, and the reason given is to give the greyhound stamina,again IMHO its to give the saluki some speed.

In 2000 at Newmarket the Millenium Cup had stakes for whippets, deerhounds and salukis 4 of each breed having qualified by winning a coursing stake earlier that season, the 2whippets were busy little speed machines, the deerhounds seemed sluggish but were covering nearly 27' per stride when we paced them out, then came the salukis and they were like watching 2 feather dusters going up the field, 3 were out of the same litter well bred by all accounts by a saluki afficiado. They were dissapointing to watch IMHO

Y.I.S Leeview

Ive watched them coarsing greyhound's run in the warterloo cup several time's..ive also seen saluki's and saluki X's run ..and if anyone was willing to have a bet on it i would put good money on the coarsing grey to blitz a saluki.. :thumbs: ..if not lap it.

Millet

now this is the quote of a first class idiot now i will take you up on this bet for any money you want any time you want you can even nominate any greyhound you want i willsupply the saluki cross you just state the purse that will be matched and arrange the time and i will supply the land now i defy you to show me this super greyhound because i can assure you millet i will be there and the money as well you put it up now when and where the balls in your court

Greyhounds are sprinters, Salukis are long distance runners everyone who has an interest in sighthounds and lurchers should know that, thats why they cross salukis with greyhounds so they get the best of both worlds speed and stamina, its pretty obvious who would win an off the mark sprint race over a short distance the greyhound, but the saluki would not be as far behind as some people think, they dont look like there traveling at a great speed due to the way they run, but they actually cover alot of ground with each stride, but as a out and out sprinter the greyhound will come out on top evey time. :gunsmilie:

greyhound without a dout,iv seen salukis chaseing lures,saluki and two smart is not usealy the same words id use in the same sentance although they are a treat to watch on hare on the big open feilds round here an its by staminer they wear them down,whereas the greyhound is up on them in a second but if doesnt strike quickly the hare is often lost and the dog blown out.thats my experiance,

Guest Taffybull

ill have to say greyhound too! for defo! .. my uncle is a saluki man. runs nothin but pures.. he will put hands up and say . grey will beat a saluki on short runs like that.. but a saluki will run allday. who cares whitch is fastest? :laugh:

as long as they get the job done boys :good:

atb

now this is the quote of a first class idiot now i will take you up on this bet for any money you want any time you want you can even nominate any greyhound you want i willsupply the saluki cross you just state the purse that will be matched and arrange the time and i will supply the land now i defy you to show me this super greyhound because i can assure you millet i will be there and the money as well you put it up now when and where the balls in your court

Thank's for you nice reply to what i think and i dont think it warrented me being called a first class idiot..

I dont have a greyhound but im sure if i could get hold of a fit 600yrd track dog that is pulling in good lap time's and winning race's against other greyhound's..would certainly leave any kind of running dog in the distance ..so in my eye's your post is from a first class idiot.. :clapper: ..

Millet

Maybe thats how I should have replied to brookie but me being a foreigner and all, I thought I would put on my happy face. Well, that and if I was to say what I wanted, I wouldnt be allowed on this site anymore. :censored:

Thank's for you nice reply to what i think and i dont think it warrented me being called a first class idiot..

I dont have a greyhound but im sure if i could get hold of a fit 600yrd track dog that is pulling in good lap time's and winning race's against other greyhound's..would certainly leave any kind of running dog in the distance ..so in my eye's your post is from a first class idiot.. :clapper: ..

Millet

in other words your backing out i can supply you with any amount of greyhounds you can take your pick of dozens of em put your greyhound on open land on hare surely thats the ultimate speed test give the hare 100 yrds and i will tell you where your greyhound will be after the first bend being tailed of and ultimately jacking within 45 seconds tail up in the air like a helicopter and as for the other quote of another contributor to this thread about a greyhound running 2kls theres not a greyhound in the country that could run 2 kilometres . the trouble with a lot of you clowns is you try to talk the talk but have definately never walked the walk so when ever you fancy this gamble millet dont hesitate to contact me because you know what they say about talk its cheap
in other words your backing out i can supply you with any amount of greyhounds you can take your pick of dozens of em put your greyhound on open land on hare surely thats the ultimate speed test give the hare 100 yrds and i will tell you where your greyhound will be after the first bend being tailed of and ultimately jacking within 45 seconds tail up in the air like a helicopter and as for the other quote of another contributor to this thread about a greyhound running 2kls theres not a greyhound in the country that could run 2 kilometres . the trouble with a lot of you clowns is you try to talk the talk but have definately never walked the walk so when ever you fancy this gamble millet dont hesitate to contact me because you know what they say about talk its cheap

The original question brookie was which is the fastest a saluki or a greyhound over a straight 350yards from a standing start. :hmm:

From somewhere you've got the challenge involving a hare with 100 yards of a start and a time of 45 seconds. :doh: Talk about moving the goalposts. :thumbdown:

You can forget about 45 seconds brookie as a straight up 350 would be covered in less than 18 seconds by the greyhound who would win comfortably. :bye:

where in my post did i mention 45 seconds you clown he made a refernce which stated that the greyhound would blitz the saluki i say bullshit dont tell me about greyhounds because i trained em for years on the track and on the coursing field and trained em to break track records sprinting and put a dog into the semi finals of the last welsh derby which was won by instant ganbler the brother to balliniska band which won the english derby the same year and the litter brother linacre won the scottish derby the same year i was 22 yrs old at the time our dog was later found to have had a long term shoulder niggle which had gone undetected not bad for a youngster as for coursing greyhounds heres a pic of two i trained for a bloke so dont try to educate me about greyhounds pal im in a position to give opinions because ive experienced both salukis ive got three pures and greyhounds both on the track and the field and ive yet to see a greyhound that can blow wind up a salukis ares my old china be f****d if i will be tried to look a fool in front of a buch of amateur pricks like you now get back to your plummer comics

dog015.jpg