which is fastest?

My info was slightly outdated. As of 2006 the fastest recorded average speed for a racing greyhound from start to finish was 41.83 mph. Obviously approximately 2 seconds has to be given for the start and I would not know how to figure in the turns but its very evident that they slow way down on the turns if you have ever watched a race. So, I do not think it would be out of line to estimate that they can easily reach speeds upwards of 48 mph.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Saluki is a sighthound bred especially for grace and speed. Although the greyhound is widely viewed as being the fastest dog breed with a top speed of around 45 mph, the Saluki is said to be faster, with top speeds of 48 mph. Testing this has proved difficult as Salukis show no interest in electric hares and therefore won't race greyhounds on a track. However, as their original use was for hunting desert gazelles with top speeds of up to 50 mph, the speed claim could be true. just somthing i picked up on google

a top class greyhound can cover 325yrd in 16.60 sec not any pure bred saluki will match that.... :signthankspin:

What tracks that wullie?

Here's a few 325 yard track records in Ireland.

Dungannon.......................17.25

Galway............................17.37

Harolds Cross...................17.16

Lifford.............................17.38

Newbridge........................17,37

Tralee.............................17.46

Waterford........................17.22

Yougal............................17.37

a top class greyhound can cover 325yrd in 16.60 sec not any pure bred saluki will match that.... :signthankspin:

I just worked that out and it's 40.04MPH :good: but that will be the average speed around the track (including starting and corners)

You can't get the fastest speed reached from distance/time, the only way you could get it was pinging with a radar gun.

I'd have my money on the Greyhound having the fastest flat out speed and fastest average speed over the smaller distances, you can't claim that Salukis are faster but are 'too smart' to chase a Lure, a certain amount of breeding to 'dumb' them down wouldn't be too hard I'm sure? certainly with the amounts of money involved in track dogs? Just my opinion though!

Cheers

Luke.

Apparently a Saluki was in the guiness book of records as the fastest dog some time ago, Saluki's are never going to beat a greyhound over 350yds in anyone wildest dreams (unless it was over rubble) however they they are capable of bursts of speed that would raise a few eyebrows. I've seen my bitch make up 100yds on me while I was driving at 35 mph in the blink an eye and I've had her run the whole length of our local beach (2 miles) along side my truck at 35mph.

You have to be careful when reading the literature. The average speed of top notch greyhounds on the track is near the 40 mph mark but the top end speed while on the straightaways is much higher near the 48 mph mark that has been documented on the track but some have said that certain dogs have reach right near 50 mph undocumented but I believe every bit of it. I know that the coyotes over here have been clocked at right at 43 mph and you should see some of our coldblood field greyhounds get up on them which tells me that they are running over 45 mph on uneven ground but of course that is after live quarry and these same dogs most likely would never put any amount of effort into a lure at the track. What I don't understand is why anybody would be even arguing over which was faster. Its a no brainer to anyone that has had anything to do with running dogs.

i dont know where you get your info mate but theres not a greyhound in the world that would get near 50 mph and as for its a no brainer as you call it to any one thats had anything to do with running dogs ive been involved with dogs for over forty years and that includes open class greyhounds and coursing greyhounds . and pure salukis and lurchers i dont know why i bother to respond to any thread on here because you always get some pillock like your self make a reference to a dog getting close to 50 mph and the sarcky crack about the no brainer ive forgotten more about dogs im having some time off this site because clowns like you are no good for the blood pressure

Ive watched them coarsing greyhound's run in the warterloo cup several time's..ive also seen saluki's and saluki X's run ..and if anyone was willing to have a bet on it i would put good money on the coarsing grey to blitz a saluki.. :thumbs: ..if not lap it.

Millet

Spot on, a greyhound's can it 40 mph, :victory:

BIRD