which is fastest?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

been having a debate with a pal over which is the fastest.

what are you opinions?

from a standing start over lets say 350 yards for arguments sake - in a straight line - Pure greyhound or Pure Saluki ?

I think for speed the grey....but the longer the distance you gotta favour the saluki

what are you opinions?

from a standing start over lets say 350 yards for arguments sake - in a straight line - Pure greyhound or Pure Saluki ?

I think for speed the grey....but the longer the distance you gotta favour the saluki

Thats my opinion - - - my pal won't have it though LOL! - - - - I summed it up quite simply.

If Salukis were faster - we'd be watching Saluki racing as apposed to greyhound racing.

They have clocked salukis on the track and they reach speeds of up over 30 mph and can usually hold that speed though for several laps without faltering. The greys have been known to reach speeds of upwards of 48 mph and some can better that but cannot hold it over 3/8ths of a mile and most can only hold it for a quarter. That being said though, these greyhounds have been selectively bred for many years to play the game. Its a lure and not a hare. They know it but dont care, they just like to chase the lure. Its a game to them just as it is us but they like the game. I dont think you will find many field greyhounds that can run much over 40 mph but they will be able to hold it for a mile usually. I would say that one could bind field salukis that can reach upwards of 35 mph and should be able to hold it for over 2 miles if in real good shape. I know yall go by kilometers but I just dont know right off the top of my head without thinkin about how to put it in kph so sorry about that.

What I am basically trying to say is that there aint hardly ever been a saluki type dog born that could even come close to a greyhound in a 1/4 or even say 3/4 mile race. Something has to give in any breed of dogs. Where you have tremendous speed you will have very little stamina and where you have tremendous endurance you will definately not have any foot speed. They are not machines and there are always exceptions to the rule though.

the reason people dont race salukis is because salukis will cut across to cut the hare off they are thinkers and will not run around a track trailing a hare as for the faster the open class greyhound will have the edge for approx 800 yrds after that its dead on its feet and the saluki comes into its own but a lot of salukis will compete with the average grader especially a lot of the kizzy pharoh lines which is a very fast breed of saluki

Over 350 yds a Saluki wouldn't get near a Greyhound.Its a bit like putting an 800 or 1500 metre runner against Usain Bolt.If you research dog speeds,most experts reckon a track Greyhound could top 40 mph,whereas a Saluki would be nearer the 30-35 mph mark.Having said all this The arabs have Salukis that will run at 30ish mph for minutes at a time,whilst a track Grey would be fecked after a couple of laps.

what are you opinions?

over 350 yards would be no contest greyhound hands down most greyhounds run over 525yards so 350 wouldnt be any problem

You have to be careful when reading the literature. The average speed of top notch greyhounds on the track is near the 40 mph mark but the top end speed while on the straightaways is much higher near the 48 mph mark that has been documented on the track but some have said that certain dogs have reach right near 50 mph undocumented but I believe every bit of it. I know that the coyotes over here have been clocked at right at 43 mph and you should see some of our coldblood field greyhounds get up on them which tells me that they are running over 45 mph on uneven ground but of course that is after live quarry and these same dogs most likely would never put any amount of effort into a lure at the track. What I don't understand is why anybody would be even arguing over which was faster. Its a no brainer to anyone that has had anything to do with running dogs.