Running lurchers..?

i am asking the question will 2 mile runs bother a lurchers health. i play alot ov football and have done small jog's to aid the fitness levels. i have just recently began to take my 10month bull grey lurcher out on the runs am thinking it will aid him as much as me although i am aware the lurcher is not built for endurance.

any advice

cheers guys :thumbs:

i am asking the question will 2 mile runs bother a lurchers health. i play alot ov football and have done small jog's to aid the fitness levels. i have just recently began to take my 10month bull grey lurcher out on the runs am thinking it will aid him as much as me although i am aware the lurcher is not built for endurance.

any advice

cheers guys :thumbs:

you have been given misinformation. the lurcher certainly is built for endurance, of course some crosses have more than others . TOMO :thumbs:

i'm riding out horse to get them fit at the moment and my dog come and does 2 lots a morning, thats 2 - 2 1/2 hours of walking, trotting (around 8 miles) on tracks, stubbles and roads - keeps the dog happy, gives me someone to talk to and is getting him hard fit - perfect. jogging 2 miles is not going to do any harm and it will bring him up a lot better than just going on walks

on-point

I think maybe you're thinking of Greyhounds: sprint dogs, not built for marathons like Salukis or Collies. That's part of the point of creating a lurcher: getting a dog with more stamina than a pure Greyhound, something that is capable of working all day or night.

Of course Saluki and Collie blooded dogs have more stamina than say a Whippet/Greyhound or a Bull/Greyhound, but even those dogs will have a lot more stamina than a straight Greyhound AS LONG AS YOU CONDITION THEM PROPERLY.

Fitness is everything in any animal or human: you wouldn't get Paula Radcliffe running and winning marathons if she didn't train and train and then train some more. I read once that her marathon preparation involved running about 125 miles per WEEK!

Get your dog trotting not too fast beside you on the bike: 2 or 3 miles a day to begin with, then up it gradually: 5 to 7 miles is plenty, and don't forget to give him some free running as well: the heavier built dogs can build up too much muscle if you only trot them: they need to develop the running muscles as well.