About time too!

Out with Deker last night on one of my permissions, had a good evening.

When we got there, saw a roe buck on the approach in the car. He had the good grace to stay put while I got the rifle out, so 2 minutes later we were stringing him up in a tree following my headshot.

It was very dark by the time we were done, got the lamping gear out, and discovered my lamp (#3) was dead. ANOTHER ONE! I wasn't very happy but found the fault PDQ this time - dodgy soldering had come loose in the cigar plug. I tried to fix it (including fixing the blown fuse with one of Deker's HMR cases - that bit worked!) but failed.

So we set out with just Deker's lamp. Quickly found a bunny which met with a very messy, 40-gr 223-down-the-spine end. Wandering a bit further, over recently cut fields, Deker spied a fox. Headed after him but he escaped into the woods.

Casting the lamp round again in desperation, picked up another set of eyes which appeared to bounce toward the woodland. Deker said deer, and it looked like it. I got on the scope though and spied foxy. Far too far for Deker's HMR so I lined up.

Bugger wouldn't stop though so we followed him with lamp and scope, just waiting. He got to the hedge and we thought we'd lost another one. But he turned, and trotted in our direction! Still wasn't stopping though, but Deker squeaked him. He paused, Bang! 223 did the job.

I should probably have let Deker have the shot, Charlie was only 80-odd yards away by this point, but I'd tracked him through the scope down the field, I wasn't letting him get away!

Knocked over two more bunnies and headed home.

But a good evening! We were out on Saturday night on one of Deker's permissions, carried lamps, rifles, batteries and ammo for 8 hours. Shot 2 bloody rabbits. Saw half a dozen or so foxes, all of which got lucky in one way or another. Some escaped into the mist, one headed off the permission and then sat in someone else's field looking at us, oblivious to the lamp.

Another escaped by virtue of some random w****r yelling at us from the road that borders the permission... It was a nightmare on Saturday.

Still good fun, always is, but less productive than it should have been! So I was glad last night went well!

Out with Deker last night on one of my permissions, had a good evening.

When we got there, saw a roe buck on the approach in the car. He had the good grace to stay put while I got the rifle out, so 2 minutes later we were stringing him up in a tree following my headshot.

It was very dark by the time we were done, got the lamping gear out, and discovered my lamp (#3) was dead. ANOTHER ONE! I wasn't very happy but found the fault PDQ this time - dodgy soldering had come loose in the cigar plug. I tried to fix it (including fixing the blown fuse with one of Deker's HMR cases - that bit worked!) but failed.

So we set out with just Deker's lamp. Quickly found a bunny which met with a very messy, 40-gr 223-down-the-spine end. Wandering a bit further, over recently cut fields, Deker spied a fox. Headed after him but he escaped into the woods.

Casting the lamp round again in desperation, picked up another set of eyes which appeared to bounce toward the woodland. Deker said deer, and it looked like it. I got on the scope though and spied foxy. Far too far for Deker's HMR so I lined up.

Bugger wouldn't stop though so we followed him with lamp and scope, just waiting. He got to the hedge and we thought we'd lost another one. But he turned, and trotted in our direction! Still wasn't stopping though, but Deker squeaked him. He paused, Bang! 223 did the job.

I should probably have let Deker have the shot, Charlie was only 80-odd yards away by this point, but I'd tracked him through the scope down the field, I wasn't letting him get away!

Knocked over two more bunnies and headed home.

But a good evening! We were out on Saturday night on one of Deker's permissions, carried lamps, rifles, batteries and ammo for 8 hours. Shot 2 bloody rabbits. Saw half a dozen or so foxes, all of which got lucky in one way or another. Some escaped into the mist, one headed off the permission and then sat in someone else's field looking at us, oblivious to the lamp.

Another escaped by virtue of some random w****r yelling at us from the road that borders the permission... It was a nightmare on Saturday.

Still good fun, always is, but less productive than it should have been! So I was glad last night went well!

yep, had a few says like that recently... especially with charlie..

Matt

I'm just too good to him aren't I.....after his lamp goes Tits up again (never known anyone have such bad luck with lamps...bought and bust 3 different ones this year!!), I bring charlie to the lamp, squeek him to a stop and who shoots him????...and the bunnies......anyway..the old boy with the working lamp did manage a couple of bunnies with the HMR but left the rest to the new kid on the block!! :whistling::thumbs:

.......got to sign off his Deer ticket soon and vote for him having completed his probationary at the rifle club.......it's at this sort of time you need to remember who your friends are.... never could remember how to spell Glenfiddich! :whistling: !!

Oh yes...I have the body bags and plastic sheeting Mr L :yes: .......its's along story!! :thumbs::thumbs:

Quickly found a bunny which met with a very messy, 40-gr 223-down-the-spine end.

Sounds like you had a good night mate, i remember the 40-gr 223 & the very messy end the rabbits have.

He caught this one just above the shoulders and opened him up like a tin of sardines, his ribcage was sticking out his a**e and his rear legs ended up round his neck...a very strange sight, when we picked him up virtually everything fell out! What got tossed into the hedge for charlie was just a bit of skin and bone!!

Am I going to be seeing you soon Outshooting??????

Yeah that bunny rabbit was rather mullered. I have fixed my lamp this evening, just need some gaffa tape to hold it all in place now and job done. Crappy Lightforce cigar plug is gone :D

Also, Deker, that fuse you let me have, it's been modified a touch and now completes the circuit on my rangefinder, so that's back in action and saving me a fortune. The fuse is held in place with ... blu-tack and sticky tape. Seems secure enough though ;)

Look forward to collecting my body bag :)

Yeah that bunny rabbit was rather mullered. I have fixed my lamp this evening, just need some gaffa tape to hold it all in place now and job done. Crappy Lightforce cigar plug is gone :D

Also, Deker, that fuse you let me have, it's been modified a touch and now completes the circuit on my rangefinder, so that's back in action and saving me a fortune. The fuse is held in place with ... blu-tack and sticky tape. Seems secure enough though ;)

Look forward to collecting my body bag :)

That fuse being the used HMR case I take it :whistling::whistling: ...in the old days that was known as a "bodge"....in this politically correct age ..."a work round", and where would the world (or Blue Peter) be without blu-tack and sticky tape......now then...there must be something we can do with that old loo roll!!!

Guest little_lloyd
Quickly found a bunny which met with a very messy, 40-gr 223-down-the-spine end.

Sounds like you had a good night mate, i remember the 40-gr 223 & the very messy end the rabbits have.

WHAT A WASTE. :big_boss:

He caught this one just above the shoulders and opened him up like a tin of sardines, his ribcage was sticking out his a**e and his rear legs ended up round his neck...a very strange sight, when we picked him up virtually everything fell out! What got tossed into the hedge for charlie was just a bit of skin and bone!!

Am I going to be seeing you soon Outshooting??????

You will be seeing me soon mate, very kind offer from you i will be in touch. :thumbs: