Patterdale Terrier

Hi all, new to terriers and wanting one to flush rabbits and work rat. possibly fox in the future.

like the look of the patterdale, also read good things about this bread.

what are your opinions and do looks vary throughout the different strains???

cheers

sean

• 1 year later...

hi sean.

i have a young patterdale that is coming a long leaps and bounds with the ratting and flushing and catching rabbits. as for fox, i can only comment on some of my mates pats that are on fox and that is that once they go down that path there is no going back. i have watched these dogs grow form pups and they were just like mine (JD) is but after having that first fox the turned on all things with 4 legs inc other terriers.

if your getting a terrier and intend on using it on fox at a later date (i assume you mean to ground) the best bit of advice i can give you is keep it away from rabbits rat yes but not rabbit, if it turns out to be a grafter to fox that early introduction to rabbit could have ruined it before you started

hi sean.

i have a young patterdale that is coming a long leaps and bounds with the ratting and flushing and catching rabbits. as for fox, i can only comment on some of my mates pats that are on fox and that is that once they go down that path there is no going back. i have watched these dogs grow form pups and they were just like mine (JD) is but after having that first fox the turned on all things with 4 legs inc other terriers.

what a load of shit !!!i have a patt bitch which is regularly worked on fox and she is a pleasure to have in the kennel she is good with any dog lurcher spaniel gsd and even lets my pups pull about on her ears even when she is sore the only thing she wont do is give a rat up for anyone or anything

I disagree, though I know that most diggers will think I'm a heretic: my terriers have always bushed rabbits above ground, but know not to try and follow them to ground. Dogs will do what you let them: if you teach them as youngsters not to go to ground on rabbits, then they won't. Decently bred terriers worthy of the name terrier would sooner hunt a fox than a rabbit any day: once they know what the real quarry is ie fox, then there's even less chance they'll go to ground on a rabbit.

However, only a dog that is allowed freedom in the field, taught what it can and can't do in a firm, no messing way, can learn all this. In my experience the only terriers I've seen go to ground on a rabbit were the ones that spent their lives on a lead until they got to the earth.

I've seen my terriers run a rabbit to ground, have a sniff then turn away to find more: yet they'll follow a flushed fox to ground in a flash, and I don't rate them as anything special: they just know what's what.