Can anyone help?

hunter girl why do you think that the belgium shepherds originated from wolves ??? the breed originated around 1885 with the 4 types .... groenendael ... laekenois .... tervuren and malinois all originating from the laekenois .........

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think collie x would suit you fine. Easy to train, take to the lamp with ease, and very obediant. I started with one, so have many people i know, and infact will not use nothing else than the collie x.

As for the deerhound x i would not own one due to the terrain my way, and have witnessed them to be very slow off the mark. Back to that old saying. HORSES FOR COURSES! :thumbs:

collie crosses are not the best dog for a first time lurcher owner mate ... they need a certain way of bringing on to get the best out of them otherwise you will end up with a hyper active neurotic dog that will test your patience on a daily basis .........

I completly agree with Socks...Collie X's are GREAT dogs Rory, but imo, they are NOT for a younger lad starting out...if i was you mate, and mainly after rabbits in smaller fields, then i would go for a Beddie X Greyhound, probably a dog...should make around 22-24"...be a great hunting/mooching/ferreting/lamping kinda dog...then in the future, if you wanna try your dog at working with the gun, and retreaving fox, or tracking bigger game, the dog could prove itself handy at that as well!...Beddie X Whippets are great dogs, but i would go for the cross to the Greyhound mate...

The ones ive worked with are usulay fairly tolerant of mistakes made buy the younger, inexsperianced owners, and are generaly no problem to enter...just get it stock broke, and enjoy it, and let it be a pup mate...everyone seems to be in a rush these days!...let a pup be a pup and get that bond nice and strong...you wont go far wrong buddy!...

Kye..

Hunter-girl, all dogs evovle from the wolf centuries back not just the BELGIAN shepherd. I must stress that they are not a dog or cross for everyone as me and my other half have a pure belgian, a malinios. He can be very headstrong and we've had to correct a few little behavioural problems with him as he's grown up, but in the wrong hands he would be a nightmare, proper training and discipline required, they are a herding breed similar to the collie.

Guest smashygadge

i started out with a collie x and thats starting to teach me we both have bad pionts. but part of the learning process iam not saying they are the best or telling you what to get but its been a good dog to me and will be for many years :thumbs: best of luck and have fun

Hunter-girl, all dogs evovle from the wolf centuries back not just the BELGIAN shepherd. I must stress that they are not a dog or cross for everyone as me and my other half have a pure belgian, a malinios. He can be very headstrong and we've had to correct a few little behavioural problems with him as he's grown up, but in the wrong hands he would be a nightmare, proper training and discipline required, they are a herding breed similar to the collie.

The Malinous are light, fast with a powerfull bite, and grip! The police love em!!! :thumbs:

Well thats a shame for you but as i said he is only 1/4 belgium sheppard and not pure! - he has never in his life been head strong and has never needed alot of training and neither has any of his brothers or sisters - infact my friends between them have the whole family and they have all been excellent dogs and natural workers.

Yes all dogs have evolved from the wolf - but the belguim is one of the only breeds left that has the same ways about them as the wolf!! That was all i was saying.

collie crosses are not the best dog for a first time lurcher owner mate ... they need a certain way of bringing on to get the best out of them otherwise you will end up with a hyper active neurotic dog that will test your patience on a daily basis .........

Spot on :victory: , ive had colliex's, bullx's, bitza', whippet [no ped]. A nice whippetx bull or whippetxgrey, would make a good 1st dog. Not to temp , and easy to live with, and very keen, plus good rabbit dogs. Ive got a 1x collie grey, 24ins 58 lb, a strong+hot head .They can be very TRYING Dog, as Socks say's they will feckin test you. :wallbash:

BIRD

I will disagree there. Ive had them in the past. They were easy to train, excellent lamping and mooching dogs. The amount of feather they used to catch was pleasing to see. They never tested me, and my friends here have them and have not had any problems with them.

Maybe my friends and i were lucky....... :hmm:;)

am from clevedon! little town by the sea! heard of it bullmastiff? with all these opinions hard to choose but its quality to have this response! have been offered a 12 month bedlington x ready for work. some bloke got move into flat so got let dog go! did want puppy but what you lot fink?