what the point in deerhound xs

I worked a first cross deerhoundxgreyhound when I was keepering. He regularly took multiple foxes in a day or night and other things that might need dealing with. He would finish anything as quick as any bullX without the punishment that half the bullXs seem to take and without doubt was a hell of a lot quicker than a first cross bullXgrey. For me he was too fast and he killed himself running a rabbit of all things through a wood.

A lad I knew of in the borders kept 2 full deerhounds and they took some score of big game for him.

The lad that bred our beddieX also had 2 full deerhounds took plenty with them

I really don't get the argument saying bullX's they are better than deerhoundXgreys look at the us staghounds (DeerhoundxGreys) taking coyotes how many are using BullXGreys? Aussies taking roos and dingos aswell as fox are they using BullXGreys?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have one thing to say id like to see the person who posted this catch anything on his own with no tools or dogs to do the running as good as any cross deerhound or not lol oh and aint it funny how you can tell older hunters from the younger by reading things like this :whistling:

Edited by Timid Toad
i went to a lurcher show other day for the 1sttime in yrs . and al i seen were poor deerhound xs and it got me thinking what does a deerhound bring to the table in the modern lurcher world. i think they have been destined for the show circuit and for red rossettes . some thing evolve but the poor old deerhound has evolved into a show specimen like jack russels in crufts. all the best and hope to have some replies from bill ps dont get al starry eyed cos there better dogs nowadays

I had a deerhound x grey ,about 30 years ago ,lovely dog caught a variety of game with him.I was running doubled up in a club for about 10 years there was a nice guy allways had deerhound x's ,You felt you were lucky if you drew him in the first round ,as it meant you would at least get another run ,his bitch was slow ,more like a half cross,he eventually put more speed in there ,via more greyhound blood ,that made his dogs dangerous ,if you got them in the first round,but in the final you were pretty confident on big land ,they had the gears but not the engine to keep it up.I asked him why he stuck with them ,his answer was good enough for me."because I like them".Each to his own,Deerhound x's are handsome animals ,usually of equable disposition,fast and powerful enough for any game.If you like them keep one.Why knock anothers choice of cross?If it suits him or her so be it.

I have one thing to say id like to see the person who posted this catch anything on his own with no tools or dogs to do the running as good as any cross deerhound or not lol oh and aint it funny how you can tell older hunters from the younger by reading things like this :whistling:

If thats aimed at the person who started the thread ur wrong mate cos he's a proper old fart :whistling:

ive never seen a good deerhound x ever bullxs better for deer fox and other regards bill

Carlsberg obviously do arse holes cause your deff talking out yours bud :thumbdown:

This bitch was fearless on the red stuff took everything in her day....how many you owned?

post-17796-1221261297.jpg

Guest oldskool

a deerhound/greyhound x collie/greyhound.... bags of stamina but he was a bit big for most of the places i went lamping at the time.. took the odd fox too but i think his litter mates done better at that game...

post-2356-1221292220_thumb.jpg

i bred him to a nice game greyhound bitch for a better turn of speed and the result were fair enough... the bitch i kept back took fox ok but she would lose her edge if she was worked hard... 2 nights a week was her limit and at the time i was unemployed and out lamping any chance i got so i needed something with a bit more drive... at the end of the day if i was asked would i have another deerhound type of dog i would say yes, if it was bred from better stuff..

post-2356-1221292751.jpg

i hear good things about doxhopes kennels...

Guest markbrick1
gavmac your a prick cause you just said a bull x would piss a deerhound x cross any day

dont let it bother you what gaymac writes hes a complete messer who knows feck all,doesnt even know the differance between a red and a roe and recons hes worked with deer for yrs, :laugh::laugh::laugh: mark