Dogo cross lurcher

Rolly-The thing you have to remember about any other bull type breed (dogo, alaunt, ambulldog etc..) is they are a watered down version of the game bred bulldog. Sometimes thats what a fella needs, and it may turn out that the bulldogx hound, stag, or greyhound may work better than a pure bulldog would for some situations. If you want a dog to do a bulldogs job (catch), than a bulldog is the way to go, IMO. If your looking for something else, one of the others may be suited better to the task.

Pops-I dont think it takes a "gamebred" dog to catch, but its the kind I would want... :thumbs: I dont know if I would qualify as an "old time dogman" but I also disagree about testing gameness on legal quarry. A test no doubt, but not one of true gameness, IMO. I have handled loads of bulldogs, and the term "game" is used way more than it is actually displayed, IMO.

Take care.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

uphilldoc

i've seen pits (and other breeds) caught on a hog w/ their guts wrapped around their legs. i've also seen pits beaten to death on trees by a big hog pried off the ears, deader than hell but still hung on. i'd say they were just as game as any pit dog.

uphilldoc

i've seen pits (and other breeds) caught on a hog w/ their guts wrapped around their legs. i've also seen pits beaten to death on trees by a big hog pried off the ears, deader than hell but still hung on. i'd say they were just as game as any pit dog.

Gettin killed in 30 seconds is not a good way to test a dogs or any animals gameness. I aint goin into details but that does not test gameness.

Pops-Im taking nothing away from any of the accomplishments of good catch dogs and what they endure, my point was I dont believe you test for "gameness" that way. More dogs will take alot of punishment quickly than those that will continue to return to it over a long period. How many of those same dogs if broken off and rested would return to the task? How many would even look at the hog/bear the next day? Many will not. The rough game (hogs, bears) can deal out alot of punishment, but its not the constant sustained pressure that another game dog will bring, and thats what sorts the curs from the game dogs, IMO. The dogs you mention are for sure honerable dogs with alot of grit, but still may or may not lack what it takes to be called a "gamedog" on many dogmens yards.

Take care.

Edited by UphillDoc

as a matter of fact the dog that got gutted, got sewed up and although he could barely move got up and wanted to go the next day when the other dogs was loaded. craziest of all he was a pound puppy w/ who knows what breeding behind him.

Dan who says they died in 30 seconds. it was actually about 10 min from the time the hog took off dragging them until we were able to wear it down to catch it w/ the cur dogs (hanging all over the place) and the last bulldog right on the end of the nose.

i know the oldstyle dogmen disagree, but i've seen a few matches and i still say those dogs were game.