Zero the rifle

I am looking for help and advice please as I am at my wits end

I have a custom built rifle (243) built on a ruger action complete with genuine Ruger rings.I have just fitted a top of the range Swarovski scope and I cannot zero the rifle,I will quantify that, the grouping at about 50yds is perfect a three shot group can be covered by a 5p piece,BUT and here is the problem I have ran out of adjustment and cannot move the group to the right,I hope that I have explained this fully and any help would be much appreciated. I have my own ideas on what could be wrong but I am looking for any members ideas

Thanks for your help

Malcolm

by any chance do you have a set of adjustable mounts that can be turned with a screwdriver, i've seen this happen only recently, if mounts are not the adjustable kind then, you need to shim one of the opposite sides of the rings, you would need to shim the rear left side around the ring but it needs to be done very carefully,

this is the only other way i have seen it done...............

have you got poor adjustment on your scope or what seems to be the problem, i've seen the shimming done but only once, and new mounts wont help,

this is always strange and i would suggest you take her to the gunny and explain the situation, there may be a handy way out, that we simply don't know off, good luck mate and let me know what happens............. :thumbs:

I have had the rifle to the dealer and he has no answer either,apart from try a different make of scope(as he puts it with a greater degree of adjustment) as swarovski have a very small adjustment,which I just dont subscribe to,but the bottom line is the set up as it is at the moment is not as it should be.The grouping is superb all the time,I hand load,and the scope is new,it has the same ammount of adjustment up and down as it has left to right about three and half full turns,where do I go from here.ANSWERS PLEASE

MALCOLM

I have had the rifle to the dealer and he has no answer either,apart from try a different make of scope(as he puts it with a greater degree of adjustment) as swarovski have a very small adjustment,which I just dont subscribe to,but the bottom line is the set up as it is at the moment is not as it should be.The grouping is superb all the time,I hand load,and the scope is new,it has the same ammount of adjustment up and down as it has left to right about three and half full turns,where do I go from here.ANSWERS PLEASE

MALCOLM

I see 3 possible problems..

1 The scope mounts are twisted

2 The scope mounting rail is twisted

3 The scope is Fubared!

Do you have another rifle to try the scope/mounts on???

I am looking for help and advice please as I am at my wits end

I have a custom built rifle (243) built on a ruger action complete with genuine Ruger rings.I have just fitted a top of the range Swarovski scope and I cannot zero the rifle,I will quantify that, the grouping at about 50yds is perfect a three shot group can be covered by a 5p piece,BUT and here is the problem I have ran out of adjustment and cannot move the group to the right,I hope that I have explained this fully and any help would be much appreciated. I have my own ideas on what could be wrong but I am looking for any members ideas

Thanks for your help

Malcolm

HI Malcolm i had the same trouble when i bought a Swarovski pvi-2 6-24x50 TDS-4I scope it ran out of adjustment so i bought a set of windage adjustable scope mount system

I HOPE THIS HELPS W.D

Edited by welshdragon

Just to clarify... you are actually firing groups and can not adjust the zero any further... I only ask as i had a similar issue when boresiting my 6.5... judging from the reticule allignment it appeared that i'd be shooting miles too high but upon practical zeroing found it came peachy. The scope does have enough clearance from the barrel etc?... hope it gets sorted.. and you kept your receipt. :wallbash:

Thanks for all your replies lads,I have been in touch with another gunsmith and he offers two solutions either shim the scope(10 thous shim moves the reticle about 9ins at 100yds) or go down the same route as Welsh Dragon and fit a set of ajustable mounts.He didnt seem to think that it was such a big problem,so I will take a run to see him tomorrow,the only draw back is that it is about two hours drive away, but if he can sort it it will be well worth it

Thanks again

Malcolm

Take your mounts off first & turn them round & go out & try again & if it dont work then go down the shim/new set of mounts route. I have had this prob a few times on my own & friends rifles & has always worked for me. Hope you under stand what i mean.

1. Loosen off both mounts & take scope off.

2. Then loosen either set & take it off the base block & turn it 180 degrees & rescrew to base block & repeat with the next mount.

3. Re-mount the scope & set it for you/level on the rifle & test again & let me know if its a BOTTLE for me or shim/new mounts route for you.

So there you are, two choices, i'd try the shim route personally myself first, i know a 2 hour drive is a bit of a pain, but there you have it, or failing that

use a bit cut out of a drinks can and cut to suit the rings width etc, i've seen this done and it worked fine,

worth a try before the 2 hour drive.

Just to let you all know the outcome, fitted a new set of rings set the scope up with a collometer( I think thats how to spell it ) went to the range and the scope was spot on,two clicks right and three clicks up and it was an inch high and spot on the centre line at 100yards. Thanks to you all for your help and taking time to post ,many thanks to Keith who sent me a PM

Malcolm