Has this happened to anyone else?

Guest Woody

not the end of the world, but bloody annoying!

Today, while out ferreting, I saw one of my nets drop into the hole (we ferret on a bank, it was set pretty much vertical, with the peg at 90 degrees to trhe ground). I hadnt seen a rabbit, or a ferret come up and disturb it.

Having got to it, i tried to pull it out, but (as it turned out!) the rabbit was stuck pretty fast in the hole.

I called to my mate to bring a spade, and we stared digging towards it, and then we pulled the rabbit (and net out). It took both of us to shift it, but we did. We were pulling by the net, as we couldnt get hold of the rabbit properly. When it came out, it dropped down the bank, and stupidly, instead of picking up the rabbit, I tried to pull it up with the cord that was already in my hand, and, you guessed it, the bloody thing came out of the net, and trotted of to safety.

I learnt a lesson today, and I'll never make those mistakes again, but I wonder, have any of you ever lost rabbits of nets?

Guest Uk_Hunter
I have to admit, In a couple moments of madness, I've tried taking the Rabbits out of the net before dispatching ;)

Regards Rob

its easy you just have to keep tight hold of the back legs while untangling the net :good:

nearly had one slip last saturday, it actually got clear of the net and i grabbed it just before it got to safety, u see it bolted pretty hard and hit a low branch, so it didnt purse properly, i sprung over there to grab it and as i went to grab it got out, but as i was moving in that general direction i happened to grab it a split second after getting out

had another one hit the net so hard that she went half way through the net, im pretty sure she broke all her ribs when she hit the net too, that was a b*****d to get out of the net, was a right tangle

i cant belive so many off you take the rabbit out of the net to kill it.

chinning a rabbit in the net is very quik and easy method.

if you use a long net you will quikly master this method as trying to get a live rabbit out of a long net when its well tangled is not easy.

get some one to show you how to chin in the net you will be glad you did