The Rabbit.....So Many Uses

I have just spent the last 2 hours dressing out last nights haul of bunnies that were shot with the rimfire. Personally every rabbit I shoot is never wasted, they end up as ferret, dog, or food for myself depending on the state of the carcase. Take a look at the pictures and see how a pile of bunnies turns into a convenient food source. The good meat I strip off the bones and freeze for my own consumption.........there is about 20-30lb of chopped rabbit meat in that picture......and that will make me many curries, stews, and pies in the coming months. The bones that have the meat removed are either boiled up for the dogs (the remaining meat is easy to pull off once cooked) or they are bagged and frozen as ferret food. The heart, livers, kidneys etc. are also cooked and bagged up to mix with the dogs other food just to vary the diet a bit. So although it is a bit time consuming to stand and prepare the rabbits, it is far better than letting good meat go to waste.

PS. I have just been given some fabulous chinese style marinade powder by a very good friend of mine and it makes the rabbit taste just like spare ribs........delicious. :tongue2:

Rolfe

post-12022-1219325279.jpg

post-12022-1219325319.jpg

post-12022-1219325360.jpg

does anyone know how much protein anc carbs and stuff rabbit meat has per 100g of it thinking bout food choices for my diet im trying to bulk up abit.

Plenty to keep you going rolfe. Is that you first or last name ? My last name is rolfe and i know that this spelling is quite unusual.

Marky r, rabbit meat is full of protein but not much in the way of carbs. Have read stories from years ago from people dying from malnutrition during the gold rush whilst eating mainly rabbit.

does anyone know how much protein anc carbs and stuff rabbit meat has per 100g of it thinking bout food choices for my diet im trying to bulk up abit.

Plenty to keep you going rolfe. Is that you first or last name ? My last name is rolfe and i know that this spelling is quite unusual.

Marky r, rabbit meat is full of protein but not much in the way of carbs. Have read stories from years ago from people dying from malnutrition during the gold rush whilst eating mainly rabbit.

Apparently outposts of the Hudson Bay Company had cages full of breeding rabbits and the men were eating bellyfulls of rabbit and they still starved to death.

Neither.........it's taken from Frederick Rolfe.........the king of the Norfolk poachers........made famous in the book "I Walked by Night".........Check the family history you may be related ;)

http://www.bungay-suffolk.co.uk/news/features/rolfe.htm

Think i'll have a look for this book, looks interesting. Have read a couple by a bloke called Albert Spring who was a gamekeeper around my way for years. They are a good read, cant remember what they were called now, Had to throw them out a while back when one of my pups chewed them to bits.

Neither.........it's taken from Frederick Rolfe.........the king of the Norfolk poachers........made famous in the book "I Walked by Night".........Check the family history you may be related ;)

Second time you've been asked that today Rolfe mate! :laugh::thumbs: