bill brightmore

Guest fell terrier

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This was the last Bill Brightmore Patterdale that I had and that's a young me in the background, this was around 1980. He gave it to me to breed from as the temperament was perfect and he worked well

Remember going up to bills a number of times back in the 80s it was like stepping back in time in side his place. Sadly missed full of knowledege of hunting and terriers and hounds which we are s

your right there p***y it would make a good book sadly the terrier of yesterday is in decline they are only kept by a mall band of brothers who still work hard and cull hard for an old guy he is still

Posted Images

Only ever heard and seen pics of B.B. stuff, never a bad word said,

Some cracking dogs , Always seemed to be kept tight and genuine honest workers.

Am i right in thinking they were hard ?

Bill was one of the true greats of the working terrier world.

He used to come for one or two days a season with me when i was terrier man for the Jedforest Hunt twenty odd years ago. One day i can remember was we had a good hunt on a fox and put it to ground in a big place. The Master asked for it to be bolted, Bill offered to put a bitch in and after about ten minutes Bill turned round to the Master and said you might as well draw on for another fox sir! Master said why is that then Bill. Bill turn round and said cos this buggars dead now sir! So off they went and after two hours digging we found a dead fox and Bill,s bitch.

Just one of many stories about Bill. Had some great dogs of the big man.

now theres a pack that went to ruin once they got rid of WJ

Guest blackntan

:

look lets all leave it there a good thread has been spoilt yet again come on mods pull it i started the thread so i should be able to ask for it to be pulled good night god bless
TO BE CONTINUED IN PRIVATE :thumbs:
keep it going lads ,started off a good post ,dont be walkin off job now lol :D has been intresting read and im sure many more will add their stuff ,who new bill ,good post felly

I AGREE FT DONT KILL THE THREAD AND I ALSO THINK YOU SHOULD NOT POST MENS NAMES ON AN OPEN FORUM.

Guest fell terrier
keep it going lads ,started off a good post ,dont be walkin off job now lol :D has been intresting read and im sure many more will add their stuff ,who new bill ,good post felly

I AGREE FT DONT KILL THE THREAD AND I ALSO THINK YOU SHOULD NOT POST MENS NAMES ON AN OPEN FORUM.

true enough baralo edited now

it would be nice to hear from bills grandson he must have some great tales as well to share i look foward to hearing them

Hi FELL T are you so para that you think that every one who posts on this line or is it type now is me. I enjoyed reading about George as I met him with Bill many years back, as you said not many like him now.

The Brightmore dog, is there such a thing these days or is it just a type know. Over the years I have looked for the old blooded dogs out of Bills best workers withought much succes. When I first joined these forums I upset a lot of lads by rubbishing the Danny dog as I had him in my kennel as well as his son Spike as Bill had asked me to give the dog some work, and I stand by everything I said about the dog. Fell t, when I first joined I was PM d by Ruby as well as others who asked me if I could help her with the breeding of her Brightmore dog, think he was called Tod. She told me it was by WA NIGGA out of a Will G bred bitch. I told her there was no Brightmore blood in her dog as Nigga was bred down from Gould blood. This is not a slur on her dog as WAs NIGGA was one of the best digging dogs in the country owned by my good mate, and a top dog man. Will Gs dogs were known as Cumbrian fells and were like the old border lakie types. Will bred some very good digging dogs though they carried no Brightmore blood, so as you see good working blood but not Brightmore.

Lavarockhall I remember your old dog well, what a dog. He was by BLADE out of KITTY. BLADE was by BLITZ out of red JESS, 2 great workers. BLADE was a notorius man biter who would grab hold of you as quick as he would a fox, I remember he grabbed a hold of Bill by the ass lol funny as fek. When Blade was given to SE from Ireland he phoned Bill to tell him that he was impressed by the dogs jaw power as it had took them quite a while to choke him of his mates arm on the ferry home :icon_eek: . LINTON LAD I also remember your old bitch Smash by Bills PADDY. This bitches litter was regarded as the best litter PADDY ever produced as the dog was sold after winning many a show, and was put to every thing from borders to russels to produce show dogs. Breeder did the Billy dog you seen was he in Devon, and did he have a white foot. If so he was a very hard nutcase of a dog.

sorry for going on a bit. BQ

p.s, If I was a young lad starting now I would forget the big names as the game has changed so much now, find some one who does a bit, and stick to worker to worker.

Hi BQ how are you, been a long time mate.

Tell me, how long did JD from Spalding in Lincolnshire keep Paddy for. Did he sell him on or was he using him on all these show dogs. If he did sell him, where did he go?

I also remember a dog with a white foot, but cant remember what he was called or where he went.

Cheers LL.

Guest blackntan
FELL TERRIER / BLACKNTAN I WOULD BE INTERESTED IN YOUR INPUT 'ON THIS THREAD.
my knowledge of Mr brightmore consists of a good Friend of mine owning a black fell type terrier in 1975 witch he bought up in cumbria out of bright more lines, , other than that its all Ive read , if its a Q&A SESSION on Mr bright more your asking the wrong person , I seem to recall this thread being about Mr bright more. Not who knows the most names of terriers, ask me about terriers i know ill tell you all i can bq but all you just wrote means nothing to me sorry , although Ive a bitch and the person who i acquired it off, informed me of its breeding said it goes back to brightmore stuff , and knowing this person i would take his word , As i do most of the people i meet and get to know as for FT Ive met the man and found him to be a genuine man with working terriers ,Has some one disagreed with you on something about this thread. And what would you like my comments on , If i can offer any information i would be only to glad to. Every time some one starts a thread on terrier lines or breeding , There seems to be a clamer to shout them down , working terriers so called pedigrees, Are only as good as the person who bred thems memory and the people who they got there stock off the same applys , They are only records wrote down and past on wether it be brightmore or gould , buck , brey, names of men who worked and bred terriers , whether the terriers past on these days are truly decendents of these mens dogs who knows . Unless DNA was kept and could now be tested we will never know the truth but pictures of terrier of old lines are there to look back on and compare , Records have been kept by many , either way its interesting to hear tales of the past and men and thier working terriers if you know more of mr brightmore bq put it on i for one would like to read it :thumbs: Edited by blackntan

Blackntan,

" working terriers so called pedigrees are only as good as the persons who bred thems memory and the people who they got there stock off the same applys , they are only records wrote down and past on wether it be brightmore or gould , buck , brey, names of men who worked and bred terriers , whether the terrier past on these days are truly decendents of these mens dogs who knows . unless dna was kept and could now be tested we will never know the truth but pictures of terrier of old lines are there to look back on and compare , records have been kept by many "

This is true about all dogs.Good post.

craig

Edited by uru
Guest blackntan
Blackntan,

" working terriers so called pedigrees are only as good as the persons who bred thems memory and the people who they got there stock off the same applys , they are only records wrote down and past on wether it be brightmore or gould , buck , brey, names of men who worked and bred terriers , whether the terrier past on these days are truly decendents of these mens dogs who knows . unless dna was kept and could now be tested we will never know the truth but pictures of terrier of old lines are there to look back on and compare , records have been kept by many "

This is true about all dogs.Good post.

craig

uru that red dog of yours sorry to hear you lost it , ill send you a pic of a ringer of it we got from ireland

hi lads first i would like to say thanks to fell t for all the good words he has said about my grandad and the rest of you also am glad to see his good name lives on and for the people who knew him would no that there isnt many like him as he was a character and half wit his tales from days gone buy

and for those who are wondering how he started up i think it was mr warraners father who introduced him to the working terrier as he used to keep manchester terriers and the earlier dogs he kept were border type dogs and i believe the black strain came first from mr brey and as for true lines left of that strain i my self would say that there are most likely only a handful of people who would have true blood left but you would always be able to tell a brightmore breed dog buy its big head and long legs as my grandad used to say they need long legs for walking through the heather on the fells thanks again lads good to see he still is the talking point of terrier men would like to see any pics put up if any body has any would be nice to see ;)

Guest blackntan
hi lads first i would like to say thanks to fell t for all the good words he has said about my grandad and the rest of you also am glad to see his good name lives on and for the people who knew him would no that there isnt many like him as he was a character and half wit his tales from days gone buy

and for those who are wondering how he started up i think it was mr warraners father who introduced him to the working terrier as he used to keep manchester terriers and the earlier dogs he kept were border type dogs and i believe the black strain came first from mr brey and as for true lines left of that strain i my self would say that there are most likely only a handful of people who would have true blood left but you would always be able to tell a brightmore breed dog buy its big head and long legs as my grandad used to say they need long legs for walking through the heather on the fells thanks again lads good to see he still is the talking point of terrier men would like to see any pics put up if any body has any would be nice to see ;)

:clapper::clapper: