bill brightmore

Guest fell terrier

I was told about this site by Bill's grandson, thats one line that's still traceable!!!!! As for Bill's terriers I can say I've probably a good memory of where and when he started off, loads of stories and a load of old photo's if anyone is intrested. Up until a couple of years ago I was in touch with a lad that had dogs that went back to the old original line from his bitch Nigger (Bill's first black bitch in the 60's) and could still probably find some of the old lines.

This is my first time here so it'll take some time to read through the thread and old post's but there is one that has me thinking.

One of the post's mentioned that a relative of Bill's had a dog from his line. Bill's relatives were his immediate family, sons and daughters. As far as I can remember and I'm fairly sure about this, his relatives through his second marriage never took any of his dogs, they were not into the sport and the dogs were no good as pets unless you wanted to desicrate the local cat population!! So if anyone claims to be a relative of Bill's check their line too!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This was the last Bill Brightmore Patterdale that I had and that's a young me in the background, this was around 1980. He gave it to me to breed from as the temperament was perfect and he worked well

Remember going up to bills a number of times back in the 80s it was like stepping back in time in side his place. Sadly missed full of knowledege of hunting and terriers and hounds which we are s

your right there p***y it would make a good book sadly the terrier of yesterday is in decline they are only kept by a mall band of brothers who still work hard and cull hard for an old guy he is still

Posted Images

The photo's will take me a while to dig up, scan and post but will get round to it.

First memory/story was being in Bill's presence when he was docking pups. If anyone met Bill one of the things they would remember about him was the size of his hands. His guidline for docking was from the tip of his thumb to the first joint.

Litter of five pups, three dogs, two bitches. Two black and tans, two black, one red, all smooth coats.

Bill picked up the first pup, explained all, then discovered he'd left his knife outside the kennel. No Problem. What are false teeth for? His top false plate did the job! No kidding, he just bit them off and I collected them and kept them in a matchbox for weeks!

I was told about this site by Bill's grandson, thats one line that's still traceable!!!!! As for Bill's terriers I can say I've probably a good memory of where and when he started off, loads of stories and a load of old photo's if anyone is intrested. Up until a couple of years ago I was in touch with a lad that had dogs that went back to the old original line from his bitch Nigger (Bill's first black bitch in the 60's) and could still probably find some of the old lines.

This is my first time here so it'll take some time to read through the thread and old post's but there is one that has me thinking.

One of the post's mentioned that a relative of Bill's had a dog from his line. Bill's relatives were his immediate family, sons and daughters. As far as I can remember and I'm fairly sure about this, his relatives through his second marriage never took any of his dogs, they were not into the sport and the dogs were no good as pets unless you wanted to desicrate the local cat population!! So if anyone claims to be a relative of Bill's check their line too!

I'm not 100% sure that he was a close relation, but I was interested to see if the dog was Brightmore. Although he was a smart terrier, he was also a very very hard terrier. BQ mentioned this dog, but I still dont really know if he was 100% Brightmore. A lad down here called Gary based his line on this dog and it would interesting to know if anyone knew how he was bred.

Guest fell terrier

from being a young child i was round at george warreners house looking at the terriers and helping out well more hindering lol every weekend i would see them set off digging loading up georges old comma van with spades and picks and of course terriers i would wait with eagerness like most kids for there return for the storys of the days digs.george use to bring home young badger cubs and fox cubs and hand rear them in a shed at the top of his garden and we all use to play with them what a great time we use to have.once i was old enough to be allowed my first terrier i got it of a good friend who i dig with now brightmore bred i was told and brightmore bred he was with out a doubt i still keep the same line as this dog now as does the same lad.the area we live is the same area that bill and george lived we even dig some of the same earths today and when i tell george about the digs at them you can see the twinkle in his eye bit like history repeating itself.iam no expert on the breed i just know about my own and my mates.i would not change to another line as they are best suited for the country we work the country that they originated thanks to david for your pm and i will be in touch and thanks to everyone who has commented on this thread i look forward to other comments to genuine entheusiasts.

only ever met the man a couple of times. but i have to say he did spare a few minutes to talk to a total stranger. the first time i met him he was a big lump of a man the second time was at the three shires. and he was obviously not well. but done a great job. hats off to him :clapper::clapper: . as for his dogs they could bite holes in iron bars :o far to hard for me. almost suicidal. but they could get the job done where many failed or would die trying.

only ever met the man a couple of times. but i have to say he did spare a few minutes to talk to a total stranger. the first time i met him he was a big lump of a man the second time was at the three shires. and he was obviously not well. but done a great job. hats off to him :clapper::clapper: . as for his dogs they could bite holes in iron bars :o far to hard for me. almost suicidal. but they could get the job done where many failed or would die trying.

Shinyspade the first time I met B B was when he judged a show in the Middlands. After the show he came into the beer tent and spent some time talking dogs with the lads. I just wish I had met him sooner as I had wasted time, and hard earned cash on poor pups. The pup I had of him grew into the best dog I have ever owned, it was everything he said it would be.

• 3 weeks later...

Bill was very fond of the pipes! There was one day a few lads had been out and one of them had his pipes in the car and after a few pints brought them in to the pub and started playing. The landlord was not to keen, Bill in his best humour walked over to the pool table picked up a couple of cue's broke them and started to drum on a table to accompany the pipes. (He did pay later to replace the cue's) After the pipes the lads and Bill finished off with a few hunting songs. The landlord in retrespect admitted that it was one of the best nights his pub had ever had!

Why young and old soldiers would salute him, well that is another story about Bill which he kept fairly quiet. (Not his form as we all know!)

And to Ray Smith - not to many years ago David was visiting Cumbria and was out with the Lunesdale. He was heading off up the fell and there was a couple of older gents following up behind him, one of them was heard to say

"F me. I'm seeing things, I'm sure I just saw Billy Bright ahead of us"

Bill had been dead for quite a while by then. Walk behind his grandson-red hair, same gait, bit bigger and broader but definately a Brightmore breed!

Guest fell terrier
Have you seen isse 45 of edrd fell terrier? There's an article about BB with a pic of him in 1958 with 2 of GW's terriers (midge and gyp) after taking 22 badgers from one woodland

i have a copy of the photo right here mate gyp was the best terrier george ever owned a prick eared non descript honest worker

Have you seen isse 45 of edrd fell terrier? There's an article about BB with a pic of him in 1958 with 2 of GW's terriers (midge and gyp) after taking 22 badgers from one woodland

i have a copy of the photo right here mate gyp was the best terrier george ever owned a prick eared non descript honest worker

lets be seeing it, please fell terrier..