.308 remington model 700

hello lads

wich moderator would be your chose.?

i gonna hunt mostly night time so it must be quit silence. i also gonna use Subsonic ammo.

cheers

Magpie_Hunter

You cannot get subsonics for a 308, just a .22 mate.

Its possible to reload .308 to subsonic levels. Main thing to remember is too generate enough velocity in the first place so that the bullet leaves the barrel.

Just searched the net and there are 308 rounds sold as "subsonic sniper ammo" :icon_redface: Thats a big old round to go that slow.

Guest JohnGalway

Out of interest, what will you be hunting and why is so little noise so important? I ask because it's a .308, I have heard of handloads especially to make it subsonic, I just never could get my mind around why a person would do that. The drop is bound to be awful.

Out of interest, what will you be hunting and why is so little noise so important? I ask because it's a .308, I have heard of handloads especially to make it subsonic, I just never could get my mind around why a person would do that. The drop is bound to be awful.

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

...and if by any chance it is sub sonic you can hang almost anything you like off the end; it will be quiet(ish)!

Edited by Deker

A subsonic .308 round will have the trajectory of a rainbow. Its very hard to get the plod to authorise a .308 for fox and if you are thinking for pigs... fair enough but they take some stopping with a bullet going full tilt. If not these what else?... night-time deer shooting is an absolute no no and permission from the plod for this is almost impossible. Im quite curious what you intend to shoot with this set up.

edited to say as the round will not be going supersonic a cheeper end mod will suffice but i'd always recomend going for the best you can afford.. quality is cheeper in the long run.

Edited by Local
hello lads

wich moderator would be your chose.?

i gonna hunt mostly night time so it must be quit silence. i also gonna use Subsonic ammo.

cheers

Magpie_Hunter

Probably talking out my hat but will the bullet be spinning fast enough to stabilise? or do you have a faster twist rate on your barrel than a standard 700?