Pigeon shooting 5s or 6s??

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

having started years ago shooting sitting rabbits with a single barrel baikal and baikal cartridges filled with dynamite and rocks i have tryed most carts over the years i now buy my carts through the pest control club i am a member off we all use eley hb pigeon 32 grams 6.5 fibre on club farms on my own farms who dont mind place wads i use eley super game 32 grms 6 plas wad they are mostly shot through a remington 1187 semi auto half choke on decoyed pigeons i would recomend these to anyone i tryed some 7 shot and found my runners went up i also tried a box off eley 24grm 7 first steel trap load because they were on the counter at 3 quid abox i killed 19 out off 23 pigeons shot at 2 were wasted at a crow at35 yds that flew away laughing this was on swathed rape the birds were all no more than 25yds which shows any cart will do close in but you still need a bit more whump for birds a bit futher out

i use anything from 30g 6 1/2 eley realtree over deeks right up to 36g No 5 for those high birds

it's also worth noting i prefer a high velocity cartridge, anything over 1350 fps is good

there must be some seriously good shots or easy birds to be dropping any numbers with 28g No 8 or 9 :icon_eek:

any shell with the right chokes WILL kill a woodie up to 50 yards, wether it be a heavy 5 or light 9 ..to much it put upon the size, weight, etc of a cartrige but its all down to pointing your gun in the right place to start with....

any shell with the right chokes WILL kill a woodie up to 50 yards, wether it be a heavy 5 or light 9 ..to much it put upon the size, weight, etc of a cartrige but its all down to pointing your gun in the right place to start with....

Correct Ali,

Its bullet/pellet placement that kills, Same with rifle shooting. :thumbs:

You can kill them at 50 yards with a 9?? Are they naked?

In my experience ,pigeons have loads of down feathers which is quite thick,on the breast area, 7s would just bounce of them,you need something that would penetrate that area.

what you say "I use 7's for decoying, if your decoying and your decoy pattern is pulling birds into a predictable killing area then 8's.. even 9's could be used to good effect and good for building confidance in young shots."

The pigeons in my area would just laugh at 8 or 9s,that would be like throwing a handfull of smarties at them

6s all day will do the job,but thats my personal opinion at over 25 yrs shooting experience with shotguns

7s bounce off :blink::blink::blink:

mmmmm

7s will kill anything

7.5s are a good shell even for high phesants,fast tighter pattern

its all about bein a decent shot.point it in the right place and you get kills. 5s,6s,7s,8s, or anything else dunt make the person shoot better,

I agree 100% mate that if you are hitting them in the right place you will drop them however these "high" pheasents that you are dropping with 7.5 cant be that high? :hmm: 6s for pigeon and 5s for pheasents for me. Nothing worse than wounding a bird and not picking it.

Correct Ali,

Its bullet/pellet placement that kills, Same with rifle shooting. :thumbs:

Sorry chaps I have to take issue with both of the above statements. You can only choke a shotgun so much and even on full, at 50 yards a 9 is nearly spent, yes, it is possible but certainly not a cartridge to consider in my book.

And its NOT the same as a bullet...a 12g Shotgun Cartridge can vary between approx 500ft lb to 2000ft lb depending on the load, in addition the vast difference in the size and weight of the pellets has a considerably different effect on the terminal impact. (muzzle speed of all the cartridges is reasonably similar). Range/effect is therefore dramatically reduced when compared with a rifle.

A .243 (for Example) is a .243, so size is constant, weight and speed vary BUT (factory loads) will produce a range between approx 1600ft lb to 2100ft lb.

You can put a 5 and a 9 shotgun cartridge in exactly the same (and RIGHT) place at the same distance, and the effect will be dramatically different! If you are not convinced, grab a bit of old kitchen worktop (chipboard side) stand 12-15 feet away and let go a 5 and a 9, the difference is astonishing! :thumbs:

deker.. a nine with a tight enough choke will kill a woodie at that distance, may be not a idea shot size but it IS capable of doing it..

as for what your saying about sako post, i think you may have looked at it a little too deeply... a eg of what i think he was getting at... you can kill a stag with a 45 50 grain 22250 if the bullet placement is correct , (not saying its right to do so) but there aint always the need for a 100 plus grain 270 bullet