ferreting

Hey guys was asked today about the affects of ferreting in rabbit population and as I've never been ferreting I didnt know the answer so was hoping

you guys could help me out.

The question was when you ferret a warren what affect do you have on the rabbit population of that warren? ie is the population reduced by 20%, 50% 80% etc?

And what is the likely hood of completely emptying a warren?

thanks guys

depending how big the warren is of course, but if you have enough ferrets, and all holes are netted, Id say 99% but you'd have to account for missed bolt holes, and the odd one underground that the ferret misses, it normal takes a month or so, for rabbits to move back into a warren

Hey guys was asked today about the affects of ferreting in rabbit population and as I've never been ferreting I didnt know the answer so was hoping

you guys could help me out.

The question was when you ferret a warren what affect do you have on the rabbit population of that warren? ie is the population reduced by 20%, 50% 80% etc?

And what is the likely hood of completely emptying a warren?

thanks guys

never clear them out or killing your own sport .

also if you do clear all no more permission as job done

cjw

never clear them out or killing your own sport .

also if you do clear all no more permission as job done

Won't others just move in from neighbouring populations?

Aye ive a horse farm surronded by two other farms and you can start ferreting the horse farm come september and ferret it every month and get good bags till your able to get into the burrows on the other farms them the sport die's out

the question was the percentage of clearing a "WARREN", not the whole "PERMISSION",

as already stated, by myself and others, once cleared, unless the burrows are colapsed, it wont be long before more rabbits move in from the surrounding area, either within the permission, or from outside

its ok to say, just take a few rabbits, but always leave some for next time, but from the land owners point of view, they are pests eating his profit, if he see's no decrease in numbers, he'll most probably think your not too great at ferreting/shooting, and could quite easily get someone else in, but do a good job of keeping the numbers down to a minimum and your be sure of not only keeping that permission, but also being praised to other farmers, giving you the chance of more permissions

Depending on how many rabbits you have in the area we can ferret the same setts nearly weekly and still be able to put a decent bag away :) i use the dogs to mark up for me. :victory:. not that i would do that mind but the option is there for me :clapper: if i go back on the hills i was ferreting yesterday in a week or so i can garantee rabbits will be home in some of the setts we have all ready done :yes: if the numbers are there they will re occupy empty sets ,have you never seen rabbits escape out of a set your doing and bolt back into one you have just done ? or done a set only to look at it later in the day and see rabbits sitting outside the holes :hmm: rabbits are with out doubt very adaptable thats why there are so many

if you live near me (geelong) you could come with me, im not a pettofile im 16. but not aloud to go to school anny more :)

on a good day you catch more than you would want to carry :)

hey mate im from melbourne but I might take you up on the offer at some stage.

how come your not allowed to go to school anymore?

by the way i love how the "im not a paedophile" line hehehe