Bringing scope back from USA

Hi folks, I know there have been some changes with regard to scope export from the USA as it's rare now.

Question is, if I buy a scope while on holiday there, can I actually bring it home or will they get grumpy at the airport?

If it's a problem, how about if I buy it in Canada (am doing both on the same trip) and declare it when I bring it into the USA - that way surely it's not an export because I had it when I came in, so it's passing through :)

Mr L, I can't say I know anything about any changes to bringing scopes from the USA, and wonder why there should be?

Anyway, for what it's worth, my lad bought a scope in a Wal-Mart in Wisconsin, last July. It just went in his luggage, through the x-ray and into the hold, no problem at all. I can't remember the type, he has it out right now, I just remember he reckoned it was a super bargain, so he bought it!

I found it amusing seeing the odd trolley with a box of ammunition next to the baked beans! You did have to get an assistant to unlock the glass front though, you couldn't just help yourself.

Hi folks, I know there have been some changes with regard to scope export from the USA as it's rare now.

Question is, if I buy a scope while on holiday there, can I actually bring it home or will they get grumpy at the airport?

If it's a problem, how about if I buy it in Canada (am doing both on the same trip) and declare it when I bring it into the USA - that way surely it's not an export because I had it when I came in, so it's passing through :)

Couldn't you just post it to yourself,or a friend over here from Canada,and then it wouldn't have to go anywhere near USA....................just a thought,cos my brother in law is going next month...........Martin.

you will be fine bringing it back mr l i have took stuff back when i have been to canada

I went to New york last year and brought back a scope.compound hunting bow,full set of cammo and a fly rod..

No prob... But my return flight landed at 6am New years day and there was no customs to be seen...I guess they were still in bed with a hang over..

Guest JohnGalway

I'd suitcase it instead of posting also. Mind you if it's something like mildot or any other stuff the department of homeland stupidity thinks foreigners shouldn't have, US customs may have a problem with it, then again they may not look for it either. Not sure what I'd do in the situation really, posting it will likely get you caught by VAT.

I just bought a brand new simmons whitetail classic 6.5-20 X 50 off ebay from a guy in America for £109.00, ordered it on Monday and it has just turned up, no VAT or duty to pay, first class service :) . Looking foward to putting it on my 17HMR and giving it a go at the weekend. :gunsmilie:

Guest JohnGalway
I got lucky with posting my Zeiss but then got caught with my hide thank goodness it was that way round as the vat on the scope would have been steep!!!

Same as that with my Leupold, but got caught with my free standing high seat :whistling:

Hi.

I bought a Leopold scope from a seller via e-bay with no problems about 3 months ago. The packaging was covered with what it was for customs etc. so they could easily have stopped it if rules in place.

Shaun.