pigeon decoys

Anyone make their own?if yes,from what.i was thinking(dangerous state of affairs)could the shape of a shell decoy be cut from a strong plastic and painted.any ideas on this would be appreciated.dont go down the''buy some''road.i would if i could afford it,just helpful replys much appreciated.

a 2 litre bottle painted matt grey with a cardboard tail on the back and wings (stuck too the side) white neck and wing bars. pretty crude but you only need one to come to it then you can replace it with a real bird. ive not tried it but if your on a budjet it'll be better than nout!! or if you have time on your side a semi blown up balloon, this way you get some kind of neck shape, and covered with newspaper and pva glue (blue peter style) and painted! this way you get 2 deeks to every balloon (dried and cut in half like a shell deek) a few ideas for you to consider!! happy pigeoning!

• 2 weeks later...
thanks molie,i knew about the plastic bottle method,just wondering if there was a better way,as im a painter by trade i wont have a problem getting the right colors.

a very tight friend of mine uses grey half round guttering cut to shape as to look lke a pigeon from above !!!! :blink:

floats his boat.

does fek all for me though.

cant decide whether the pigeons genuinelly decoy or just come for a look and a good laugh.

cracks me up every time he unloads them from the car.

but he does shoot a few decoyed birds with them

Guest buster321c
a 2 litre bottle painted matt grey with a cardboard tail on the back and wings (stuck too the side) white neck and wing bars. pretty crude but you only need one to come to it then you can replace it with a real bird. ive not tried it but if your on a budjet it'll be better than nout!! or if you have time on your side a semi blown up balloon, this way you get some kind of neck shape, and covered with newspaper and pva glue (blue peter style) and painted! this way you get 2 deeks to every balloon (dried and cut in half like a shell deek) a few ideas for you to consider!! happy pigeoning!

Got any pics molie ??

Got any pics molie ??

No mate, ive got shells and full bodied, flappers and such, no need for home made!

I made a load of these.

there the old paper suit. tyvek. and just painter with acrylic paint from tesco's, you just need white,black and blue. it is waterproof when dry.i have a pattern i cut and then paint a top and a bottom and the sew the two halves togeather. then i just primer paint the heads and staple on a bit of thepaper on the neck. the heads are just only estate agent boards.

I have painted the beaks and eyes since this photo was taken. the black sticks are ariel's form the scrap yard. i have spent about a tenner on bits and have enough to make 30 or so.

opps! do they sort of look like the silasock ones. just as well there only for me so the copy right don't count :laugh:

i have a little video as well of the flappers i have made as well. they work on the magnet or on a bouncer that was mad from alu tube and bar from B&Q. see if i can load it somewhere.

DSC00344.jpg

On the bouncer bar. :thumbs:

Edited by activeviii
  • 2 months later...
Guest Mass_G3nocide

I made a load of these.

there the old paper suit. tyvek. and just painter with acrylic paint from tesco's, you just need white,black and blue. it is waterproof when dry.i have a pattern i cut and then paint a top and a bottom and the sew the two halves togeather. then i just primer paint the heads and staple on a bit of thepaper on the neck. the heads are just only estate agent boards.

I have painted the beaks and eyes since this photo was taken. the black sticks are ariel's form the scrap yard. i have spent about a tenner on bits and have enough to make 30 or so.

opps! do they sort of look like the silasock ones. just as well there only for me so the copy right don't count :laugh:

i have a little video as well of the flappers i have made as well. they work on the magnet or on a bouncer that was mad from alu tube and bar from B&Q. see if i can load it somewhere.

DSC00344.jpg

Nice going.

I made a load of these.

Any chance you could share the pattern you use, or a rough sketch and how you put it together?

Please!

Ah, you mean Sillocock.

Don't worry, I can see how they work. :angel:

Edited by McSparkie

I made a load of these.

DSC00344.jpg

Nice work, i love homemade kit, very rewarding when the birds come in :clapper:

Thank you. I now have a flock of pigeons and thinking about doing crows as well.

talking of flock. i have just bought a load of flock from the US and playing around flocking crows. i was told to use just a smooth rustproof paint and then shack the flocking partials over it. works a treat and at a couple of dollars posted i have ordered a load of other colours to do pigeons shells.

I might even do the sillysock heads with it as well because the kids are moaning that i keep cutting up there school trousers so glue on the body and head.hehe.

I'll post if the flocking works.

regards

Phil.

Where did you buy the flocking kit from mate?

The flocking is from the states. It is only the flocking so you need some way of sticking it. i just used smoothrite but the lady that sell is has a list on how to do it and the name of the stuff they use. it is a paint that is used on hard hats of something.

any way just type flock into ebay its only about $2.00 for 1oz and that will do about 10 crows. i have ordered chestnut and a dustypink so i can do full body pigeons.

I tried my flock coated pecking crow today and it worked a treat so im going to make a few more now.

Phil.

• 1 year later...