Tikka T3 or RWS Titan 6?

Hi Guys -

Just applied for a variation for my first deer rifle in 6.5 x 55 and I've also asked for my FAC to be made 'open' at the same time on the basis of my HMR and 223 experiennce so I'm hoping both requests go through smoothly. Do you think they will take experience of the two lower calibres into account and grant the new calibre 'open'?

As far as I have managed to discover there are only two models available in this calibre which are left handed, (which I have to have), the RWS Titan 6 and the Tikka T3. Both offer a synthetic stock and stainless barrel which I'm after. Anyone any experience/views of these? And of course if you know of any other options, do shout as I imagine I have a few weeks to make up my mind.

Go on then, while I'm asking for opinions: fixed mag scope for deer or variable and if so what? Not make (I like Leupold) so much as mag/size.

Cheers

S

Mr Logic is the man to speak to about the RWS. :thumbs:

If they make your certificate open then all of your rifles will be made open. And seen as you have applied for Deer then it is more than likely that yours would have been opened out anyway. The experience with the smaller calibres only goes in favour.

As for scopes. I would always prefer a variable. Something like 3-12x50 would be ample and a Leupold in that sort of spec will do you well.

Regards

SS :thumbs:

An interesting question that! Hmmm... Well, my RWS is wonderful, but I wouldn't have any issues buying a Tikka T3 either.

They are both made down to a price, with plastic where I'd like to see metal. Both have detachable magazines, and are pretty reliable. I've been impressed with the accuracy I've seen from my RWS, but Deker's T3 shoots damn straight too.

I would probably go for the RWS, as it's cheaper (slightly), and has a switch-barrel system should you need to go bigger. Also, it comes with weaver bases where the Tikka has to either use Optilocks or a third-party adapter.

And, the RWS is screwcut from the factory AFAIK.

Scopes... well, Leupold's a good brand, can't argue there. Mag I'd have said a 3-9 or 4-12 is plenty for deer. Personally I like to have 10 power, I'm comfortable there.

A fixed 8x56 is a good plan. I know you like your Leupolds, but (in the VX-III price range) you can get Schmidt 8x56 Hungarian or a Meopta 7x50 or 8x56 or 3-12x50. All are good, and I would say better, than the Leupold offering at that price.

But you can't go far wrong with a Leupold...

However, if you're feeling cheap, I got a Hawke Endurance 30 the other day, it's 3-12x50 with illuminated #4 reticle. Cost me £200 but it's normally about £270. Japanese glass and it's very good. Had it out under the lamp yesterday to try it, and I can finally see!

They do a 2.5-10x56 version which is what I would choose from the Hawke range. Probably cost you less too.

the sako 75 (older model) or 85 newer model can be got in left hand, 6.5x55 is an excellent calibre, and accurate to boot, however putting a hawke scope as recommended (not a dig) would be a mistake as they will simply loose zero after a couple of months on a centrefire rifle..........

believe me i know plenty of folk who tried them namely down south of ireland.................

save your money and get good glass and mounts.............end off....

hope you get sorted.............

the sako 75 (older model) or 85 newer model can be got in left hand, 6.5x55 is an excellent calibre, and accurate to boot, however putting a hawke scope as recommended (not a dig) would be a mistake as they will simply loose zero after a couple of months on a centrefire rifle..........

believe me i know plenty of folk who tried them namely down south of ireland.................

SNAP SHOT

Got a lot of time for most of your posts but the Hawke business is a little too general.

The Hawke range of scopes does vary a lot in quality but I am given to understand the Endurance with their Japanese Optics are not only pretty good but also offer excellent value for money! :thumbs:

Also know a guy who has had a Hawke Mil-Pro on his Tikka T3 Tactical in .308 for years and is over the moon with it! :thumbs:

SNAP SHOT

Got a lot of time for most of your posts but the Hawke business is a little too general.

The Hawke range of scopes does vary a lot in quality but I am given to understand the Endurance with their Japanese Optics are not only pretty good but also offer excellent value for money! :thumbs:

Also know a guy who has had a Hawke Mil-Pro on his Tikka T3 Tactical in .308 for years and is over the moon with it! :thumbs:

deker i take on board what your saying mate, but i'm not talking gereralisation here i'm talking fact..................i know lots of lads who got recommended hawke scopes namely the target and fronter models for centrefire calibres and two to three months down the line they packed up.....got replaced packed up again and traded for zesis and s&b instead.........i have a hawke scope myself but wouldn't dream of putting it on the centrefire cal's.................your entitled to your opinion and i'm also entitled to mine................happy hunting....

i agree with snap shot if your going for centrefire scope buy the best you can get. after all well the Hawke range are godd clear scopes for the money i dont really think there suited to centrefire rifles.

got to buy the best you can aford the last thing you want is the scope to lose zero or having to be sent off to be fixed.

i agree with snap shot if your going for centrefire scope buy the best you can get. after all well the Hawke range are godd clear scopes for the money i dont really think there suited to centrefire rifles.

got to buy the best you can aford the last thing you want is the scope to lose zero or having to be sent off to be fixed.

Jamie,

I don't think anyone would argue with buying the best glass you can afford but snap shot has made a general comment about Hawke..saying they are a problem....point I am simply trying to make is that Hawke scopes are made by several different firms to different build and glass quality, seems everyone he knows has had a problem; they have either been unlucky or bought the wrong scopes (or both). Just so happens that I have 2 Hawkes, one is very expensive, top end of their range (no longer available) and crap, the other is only about £120 and brilliant. I also know several other peoples who have Hawkes on hard hitting centrefires and they are very happy! Believe it or not you see them quite a lot at Bisley! That's what I was saying, I was not suggesting they were all brilliant and everyone should buy one because I know from experience they are not!

But I think it is a little narrow to brand "Hawke" useless because "some" cause a problem, or are not best suited for centrefires....bit like saying "Ruger" rifles are crap simply because the 10-22 has cycling problems sometimes, doesn't make their whole range useless!!!

...and £200-£300 is all some people can afford for a scope anyway....also know 2 people who have been really ticked off with problems with £1200 Nightforce, and even more ticked off when they found how many months it was going to take to get them repaired. Nothing is immune!! :thumbs:

And no...I'm not on Debens payroll! :thumbs:

Cheers

Well, I have a 4-12x50 reflex which backs up the anti-Hawke comments as it did lose zero on my 243. However, clear enough glass and certainly OK on the 22.

With regard to the Endurance 30, they're pretty good scopes really, retailing for £300+ sometimes. I can't see how they will all lose zero on a centrefire when their target market is the stalking rifle, which are 243 upwards.

I will wait and see, but the impression I get is of a well made scope, and the optics are pretty clear. Don't get me wrong, they're not Zeiss or anything, but they certainly are a step up from £150-odd scopes.

With regards 6.5x55 I have very little experience, but a lot of experience with the T3 and a bit with the RWS.

I suspect this response will not help but I like and rate the T3, problem I have with my T3 lite with a Predatior 8 on the end of it is the balance, everyone knows putting a mod on screws up the balance but as the butt of the T3 Lite is SO light and hollow the balance is terrible! GMK suggest taking the butt pad off and adding brown expanding foam and a bit of lead to redress the balance issues. I also note the new Tikkas are now arriving screw cut but with a couple of inches cut off the barrel...so that will help with balance anyway! Of course it is not a problem at all if you don't intend to fit a moderator. Overall reliability, build, accuracy of the Tikka...GOOD!

The RWS. They are remarkably unknown, I have only let go a handfull of shots with one in .243, I was very impressed, they are easy to use and instantly very accurate for me. This is a little sleeper, I just don't understand why they do not feature in more gun dealers and don't sell by the bucket load..they should do!! :thumbs:

Well, I have a 4-12x50 reflex which backs up the anti-Hawke comments as it did lose zero on my 243.

Sorry logic but i am not anti hawke, its just from the problems i have seen with them on centrefire rifles have been many.......i am speaking from experience however and when i see a problem i'll simply try and advise, i just don't believe the range can stand the recoil over the long term......

grand if someone is shooting a couple of hundred rounds a year,

the lads i shoot with ,and myself shoot in excess of 1000 to 1400, a year through several different cal's......

time will tell........... :thumbs:

Snap, you and Jamie both said basically 'don't get a Hawke as they tend to lose zero / are rubbish / etc.' - they're anti-Hawke comments. Made with good reason and experience I'm sure, you're not just slagging them off, but you are against them...