100 % Earth Dog

so how about a bitch that in small earths, drains and artificals has the knack of grabbing charlie by the throat, flipping it over onto its back and the drawing it out the hole and letting it go. do you think she is a bolting bitch or a hard bitch. i think shes developed a techniqe to solve a problem to complete what is expected of her..... dog do funny things when the see there fair share of game!
i cant see how a terrier in "small earths" could possibly flip a fox over onto its back!!!! if it has room to flip a fox onto its back then draw it from the earth then that earth must have plenty of room in it and therefore cannot be called a small earth.IMO.

why? ive seen the bitch do it in a 6/8inch pipe, most foxes arent big and with the right technigue can be easily handled. once you have seen it happen you woulndt be such a sceptic :thumbs:

ok fair enough, i wasnt talking about pipes or artificials, but anytime ive dug a fox in a SMALL natural earth the terrier has been wedged in tight and the fox has been in tighter. barely room for the dog to budge,and just about space to get a grip, if there is room for the dog to get a proper hold of its throat and flip it over then the tubes must be a decent size,thats all i was saying, i didnt say your bitch didnt do it !

sorry mate wasent trying to suggest that you did say that. when i say 6/8 inch pipe i was refering to an earth aswell. 6 inch is tight enough, but it can be done with right dog, if the fox can get in on there feet, they can come out on their back, and if a dog can get to kill it or give it a good pasting, it can get to it to pull it out..... some places are to tight, but most places are possible. alot of real tight places that the dog and quarry have no roon, i tend to find the fox is brush on anyway, ie no roon to turn round, in this case its coming out anyway!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What you have to understand wink is that there are very very few on here that could have a fox out a 6 to 8 inch pipe .Lot of terriers on here couldnt get there fecking heads in one.Thats why you have to have all types and all sizes :thumbs:

we are talking 100% earth dogs here not fekn polcats,,,DEV,,,TIGERDOGS,,,CHESTER if i was looking for a pup i would want one from men like you.

I agree with Tuggy, if we are talking about 100% earth dogs. Then the little hunt terriers you mention Donny would not be used for digging bigger places, as you even state that you have to have all types, so they wouldn't in my book be classed as 100% earth dogs. I like a dog that can find in big places and stops till dug.

Donny think you should edit your post as that was not a smart remark you made. :wallbash:

I agree with Tuggy, if we are talking about 100% earth dogs. Then the little hunt terriers you mention Donny would not be used for digging bigger places, as you even state that you have to have all types, so they wouldn't in my book be classed as 100% earth dogs. I like a dog that can find in big places and stops till dug.

Donny think you should edit your post as that was not a smart remark you made. :wallbash:

So what you are saying then is little terriers cannot work big places?? As for having different types thats common sense which it seems you lack.As you seem to think a lump of a dog will cover all situations ..As stated if in a tight spot how would you get a red one out??? Feck the earth ???..Or are you a believer in if the dog wants it it will dig on?? In rock ?? Chalk?? :):no:

I know we have different hunting conditions on this side of the pond than on that side, especially here in the NE where the primary quarry is groundhogs, but if you have a dog here that can't work completely through a 6" tube or even smaller it's probably going to spend a lot of time topside watching. Maybe serving as a pull dog if that's to your liking. When the dog spans much over 13" - 14" it's going to work hard just to get in. By the time it gets over about a 15" - 16" span it's just not going to fit.

My personal preferences are for the smaller dogs. I've found that a small dog can do what I need a dog to do better than a big dog about 95% of the time, and spend less time laid off afterwards.

Again, not trying to slag anyone's preferences or start a whizzing contest. If your tubes are large enough for bigger dogs, more power to you. Most of mine just aren't.

So what you are saying then is little terriers cannot work big places?? As for having different types thats common sense which it seems you lack.As you seem to think a lump of a dog will cover all situations ..As stated if in a tight spot how would you get a red one out??? Feck the earth ???..Or are you a believer in if the dog wants it it will dig on?? In rock ?? Chalk?? :):no:

Tell me o great one were i said a lump of a dog will cover all situations, also this thread is not about charlie in tight spots, that was your boastful statement. LOOK AT ME EVERY ONE I CAN GET A FOX OUT A 8 INCH PIPE O ARENT I THE GREAT ONE :notworthy::notworthy: I thought this thread was about 100% earth dogs, and i gave my opinion if you dont agree fine but dont try and make a full of me. Maybe you could bring one of your little ones out with my pack or maybe a Sunday dig and we could descuss it on here.

post-2037-1218403518.jpg Edited to add a small hunt terrier who will have them out an 8 inch pipe and will find stay till dug in any size earth

[/qu

I never boasted about feck all I never said I had one out a 8 inch drain (although I know it can be done .Make a fool out of you no need.Go back and read post properly then come back and add a sensible reply ..All types doesnt necesarily small ones .All types with different workstyles ..understand now?probably not :whistling: So what is your ideal size type >>/?

As stated many times not only on this thread by many different people No two digs are the same..If you stripped an engine would you only have one spanner in your box??Is it not better to put a leggy type in very large bale stacks rather than a smaller type??Would a leggy narrow type work rock better than a short stocky bully type?? If you dont understand there are many many different situations drop me a PM only to glad to help you understand.. :yes: Sometimes Time is a factor and you cant hang around for various reasons so you pick something to suit..Think if you delve deep enough you will find The big names past and present Always keep a few small ones alongside there bigger stuff.. :) Know all??? dont think so if you stay in this game you soon realise you learn something everyday you are out..Ill ask you something what Type do you keep>>rgds

Guest fell terrier

out walking this morning i summed up what makes a 100% dog it is a dog that the owner is 100% happy with .different people have different standards and everyone can argue untill the dogs come home but if you are not happy with it then it is not 100% obviously the rufty tufty terriermen with their do or die attitudes on here will need a totally different dog to the lads that work them for like say a hunt and the one dog weekend men will need a different dog again its horses for courses you pays your money you takes your chance.asclong as you are happy and the dog is doing exactly what you want from it then what does it matter :victory:

For what use do people like John Parks breed some very small terriers ?

i have known JP for many years and most the dogs he keeps are of a good size and weight, and would struggle to get to a fox in a 8 inch pipe. Small ones in his litters are usally given away. His pressant dog Stanley aint no light weight either. Digging in chalk well I have many times. JP was showing me a couple of weeks back his new digging spade with prongs welded on to it to break up the chalk, it looked like a back hoe on a JCB.

type of dogs i keep???? working types, and I would never breed from or sell on quitters unlike some. :whistling:

it aint worth posting opinions on here as it seem to attrack every GOD of the terrier world. If your dogs were realy that good Donny you wouldn't have to talk them up or high jack every thread with the Donny C fan club. So I will leave you, and your bitches to get on with it, as I am not worthy O GREAT ONE. :notworthy:

Edited by barolo

LOL new digging shovel for chalk .What do you do give it to the dog??Reread as I said.I IIIII never said I got one out a small pipe .BUT I do have a dog that would ..Go looking for your maguigin dog as you saw one you liked .was it pretty..When I was with JP last we had a vixen out a tight place did he or his mate use the two reds they had???? NO .JP used his young 12inch black bitch and a nice sort she was to..Wondered why he kept a small one?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest blackntan
And cannot be called out.

just because a terrier can be called out shouldnt effect it being a good digging dog a dog that can be called out if the time arrises is a god send obviously never worked big rock piles or undiggable spots eamon its horses for courses again dev hit the nail on the head but some earths/borrans require a dog that can be called out i mean no one in there right mind is going to put a dog into one knowing full well that they will have to dig it out (unless they have a large supply of dynamite)a terrier used for sport?recreation and a terrier used for pest control can sometimes be two different things a man that keeps terriers for his hobby may only be able to keep one or two thus the need for one that stays all day but this man is unlikley to try a real bad spot but the man that works terriers for pest control is likley to have several all with there different merits just my opion and no doubt i will get slagged for it.just remember ones mans hero is another mans w----r all the best and always remember your terriers :victory:

spot on the fell man, them that know , know, them that dont will never need to,try taking them 2oooft up a crag and , oh my dog will stay puffing thier chest out,100% stayer , not in this rock pile . maybe in yeh wood in essex :whistling:
Guest fell terrier
And cannot be called out.

just because a terrier can be called out shouldnt effect it being a good digging dog a dog that can be called out if the time arrises is a god send obviously never worked big rock piles or undiggable spots eamon its horses for courses again dev hit the nail on the head but some earths/borrans require a dog that can be called out i mean no one in there right mind is going to put a dog into one knowing full well that they will have to dig it out (unless they have a large supply of dynamite)a terrier used for sport?recreation and a terrier used for pest control can sometimes be two different things a man that keeps terriers for his hobby may only be able to keep one or two thus the need for one that stays all day but this man is unlikley to try a real bad spot but the man that works terriers for pest control is likley to have several all with there different merits just my opion and no doubt i will get slagged for it.just remember ones mans hero is another mans w----r all the best and always remember your terriers :victory:

spot on the fell man, them that know , know, them that dont will never need to,try taking them 2oooft up a crag and , oh my dog will stay puffing thier chest out,100% stayer , not in this rock pile . maybe in yeh wood in essex :whistling:

theyed never be able to ride there horses up there mate them hooray henrys lol our lass use to ride out with the essex farmers i went with her once for a look out one boxing day i felt like a lepper never again (scruffy northener come down to rape and pillage)they wouldnt get the same reception up here id make sure they were raped and pillaged and thats there men folk ha ha