100 % Earth Dog

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a dog that stays and stops its quarry and is able to hold it there untill dug,thats be proven over the years and always done its job! thats what i count as a 100% earth dog, does matter if its hard or a sounder or a mixer as long as it sticks it out and gets the result

a dog that stays and stops its quarry and is able to hold it there untill dug,thats be proven over the years and always done its job! thats what i count as a 100% earth dog, does matter if its hard or a sounder or a mixer as long as it sticks it out and gets the result
well said dev could not have put it any better :thumbs:

hit the nail on the head but a terrier is only 100% till its next dig

hit the nail on the head but a terrier is only 100% till its next dig

exactly mate a terrier is only as good as its last dig ,, Cheers Sniper

Guest fell terrier
And cannot be called out.

just because a terrier can be called out shouldnt effect it being a good digging dog a dog that can be called out if the time arrises is a god send obviously never worked big rock piles or undiggable spots eamon its horses for courses again dev hit the nail on the head but some earths/borrans require a dog that can be called out i mean no one in there right mind is going to put a dog into one knowing full well that they will have to dig it out (unless they have a large supply of dynamite)a terrier used for sport?recreation and a terrier used for pest control can sometimes be two different things a man that keeps terriers for his hobby may only be able to keep one or two thus the need for one that stays all day but this man is unlikley to try a real bad spot but the man that works terriers for pest control is likley to have several all with there different merits just my opion and no doubt i will get slagged for it.just remember ones mans hero is another mans w----r all the best and always remember your terriers :victory:

ive had a dog i could call out that if i didnt call out anyone who had seen him would say he was a 100% hard dog. if left he would kill his quarry or you could dig to him without any problem atall.... but at any point i could call him away.... he was 1 in a million but id have a life time of dogs like him please.

so being able to call them away dosent make them bad aslong as they do the job when their there.

for me, a bayer and stayer... not a fan of over hard dogs, particularly in this day and age.

but i like a dog to sound and mix it when needed, but is not layed up sore for two weeks at a time

those of you who remember 'Davie', hell of a dog in his day, but once a fortnight...

(he's the red dog on the right)

post-1211-1218186849.jpg

Edited by lakeman
Guest silenthunter

a dog that is not scared to get in there take bites take pain a dog that will get in there face to face taken blows from the quarry a dog that will put his own life at risk to take out the quarry in any way a dog that will stay there takin bites and biting bak until dug a dog that is alway alway on top of the quarry making its life hard for it and a dog that has got no worrys of losing his life its his life or the quarrys

Guest Eamon.Mc

I personally would'nt work rock piles, and there is none on the permission I dig. I have my spots for digging and would rather have a dog that would'nt come away when called, as said horses for courses.

Ah... The debate over a dog that can be called off... If you've never had one you don't know how valuable that can be.

But let me add another criteria that will certainly be controversial. What about the dog that will stay until dug when required, but can also reliably bolt quarry from a den? Is that not also a worker?

ive had a dog i could call out that if i didnt call out anyone who had seen him would say he was a 100% hard dog. if left he would kill his quarry or you could dig to him without any problem atall.... but at any point i could call him away.... he was 1 in a million but id have a life time of dogs like him please.

so being able to call them away dosent make them bad aslong as they do the job when their there.

Controversial as it is, I can see where your coming from... as an example I have watched the Police dogs in action, Malinois for all intents and purposes look like they want to kill whatever they have a grip on, eyes bulging and proper psyched out, one word from the handler and they let go... now that's control, I know it's a different ball game with terriers...............

you question yourself, your terrier is it 100%........ is it 100% determined to do what it went to ground for,,, I have dug terriers that when you break through they are 3" away from there quarry nose covered in snot, the quarry is there in front of them steam coming out of it's ears and the terrier looks up at you and wags it's tail, 'look boss I've done my job' I was with someone and this had happened with his dog, he said to I don't like that, the dog's not commited enough, shows weakness... even though we just dug 5' to the fecker... the verdicts open on this one, I dunno...

I had my dog in the ground last week, entered at 12.04 Friday... couldn't get a mark on him,,, late on friday we have a mark 12 mtrs on B&F, but moving... Sat morning have a mark diff spot 10 mtrs, 7 mtrs, eventually have a mark 5,5 arranged with the farmer to get digger in, all agreed that when we get a permanent mark we will dig. the permanent mark never happened.

cut a long and dull story short he came out at 3.30ish on Saturday afternoon, after me losing my voice at the entrance.... bit knackered thirsty and hungry but out... woulda saved me some heartache and worry if I was able to call him out on the friday...

ps before any of you say I should have got a better terrier that wold have bottled it up :feck: you weren't there and you don't know the earth ...