Working Staffords

Hi all

I read the article on Hunting Staffords on the main page with interest, and was hoping to get more info on them as I am looking for a new dog. It will not be hunted, but worked in agility, obedience and weightpull. The show staffs just don't have what I need in a working dog and Pit Bulls are banned in Norway. I have enough experience in dogs to know what I want, and I don't want to waste my time and money on a cull.

Show staffs neither have the temperament I am looking for, or the physique of a working dog. I want stamina, grit, trainability, wind and everything that makes up a good bull&terrier.

I have extensive experience with bully breeds, so I know the good the bad and the ugly. Including how to use a breakstick both on other dogs and on prey. :D I have worked as a dog trainer, and continue to educate myself in ethology and behavior as canines is my huge hobby.

I have had to American Staffordshire Terriers and two American Bulldogs. The Bulldogs were from hog hunting lines,one imported from the US, and both had a very pronounced prey drive. So I know how to deal with that, and I also want it as it makes training a lot easier. I currently own a couchpotato of an American Staffordshire, and it is time to look for my next working dog. My current dog is a great dog, but he is as boring as arithmetics.

My dogs live in the house with me, so I need an off button. And also not be dog aggressive wanting to kill EVERYTHING. I don't mind dog aggression against same sex dogs as long as it is manageble, I mean they are terriers. But I want it to be able to live with other dogs. I am of course looking to get a female.

Sorry for all the longwinded info. I just wanted to state that I am not a newbie to these breeds and that I am equipped to handle one responsibly.

I am hoping to get some more info about how everyday life with a working Stafford is, what to exect from one, and maybe be pointed in the right direction to who breeds quality dogs from proven stock.

I'll answer any questions you might have.

Thank you in advance!

Mari

Edited by Mari

Hi all

I read the article on Hunting Staffords on the main page with interest, and was hoping to get more info on them as I am looking for a new dog. It will not be hunted, but worked in agility, obedience and weightpull. The show staffs just don't have what I need in a working dog and Pit Bulls are banned in Norway. I have enough experience in dogs to know what I want, and I don't want to waste my time and money on a cull.

Show staffs neither have the temperament I am looking for, or the physique of a working dog. I want stamina, grit, trainability, wind and everything that makes up a good bull&terrier.

I have extensive experience with bully breeds, so I know the good the bad and the ugly. Including how to use a breakstick both on other dogs and on prey. :D I have worked as a dog trainer, and continue to educate myself in ethology and behavior as canines is my huge hobby.

I have had to American Staffordshire Terriers and two American Bulldogs. The Bulldogs were from hog hunting lines,one imported from the US, and both had a very pronounced prey drive. So I know how to deal with that, and I also want it as it makes training a lot easier. I currently own a couchpotato of an American Staffordshire, and it is time to look for my next working dog. My current dog is a great dog, but he is as boring as arithmetics.

My dogs live in the house with me, so I need an off button. And also not be dog aggressive wanting to kill EVERYTHING. I don't mind dog aggression against same sex dogs as long as it is manageble, I mean they are terriers. But I want it to be able to live with other dogs. I am of course looking to get a female.

Sorry for all the longwinded info. I just wanted to state that I am not a newbie to these breeds and that I am equipped to handle one responsibly.

I am hoping to get some more info about how everyday life with a working Stafford is, what to exect from one, and maybe be pointed in the right direction to who breeds quality dogs from proven stock.

Thank you in advance!

Mari

hello mate i have owned 6 staffoldshire bull terrier's all long legged athletic type a brindle a black and tan a fawn a black and have just got another brindle i have found the brindle's seem to have a higher prey dive and are generally more aggressive and from a far earlier age has anybody else notice out similar :thumbs:

pm ghostley geese on hear she has lovely dogs good athletic staffys do a member search at the top of the page :thumbs:

all the best with your bull&terrier

I have been in contact with Ghostlyease. :) We'll see what happens there.

hello mate i have owned 6 staffoldshire bull terrier's all long legged athletic type a brindle a black and tan a fawn a black and have just got another brindle i have found the brindle's seem to have a higher prey dive and are generally more aggressive and from a far earlier age has anybody else notice out similar :thumbs:

Where did you get these dogs? Were they KC registered? That is also an issue with importing a dog to Norway (which I'll have to end up doing) because of the breed bans against other breeds, the pup has to be KC registered.

we have had english bts before and we noticed that they can be very dog agressive but its a different breed so it doesnt really matter :)

STBs can also be dog aggessive. But I can handle that. It would be a plus that the dog doesn't want to kill every single dog it sees though. :D

Thank you for all the replies so far! :)

Edited by Mari
pm ghostley geese on hear she has lovely dogs good athletic staffys do a member search at the top of the page :thumbs:

all the best with your bull&terrier

I have been in contact with Ghostlyease. :) We'll see what happens there.

Where did you get these dogs? Were they KC registered? That is also an issue with importing a dog to Norway (which I'll have to end up doing) because of the breed bans against other breeds, the pup has to be KC registered.

we have had english bts before and we noticed that they can be very dog agressive but its a different breed so it doesnt really matter :)

STBs can also be dog aggessive. But I can handle that. It would be a plus that the dog doesn't want to kill every single dog it sees though. :D

Thank you for all the replies so far! :)

no the brindle's wasn't kc reg but neither was the fawn or white the long leg staff aren't kc registered around here all the kc reg one's are shite :thumbs:

no the brindle's wasn't kc reg but neither was the fawn or white the long leg staff aren't kc registered around here all the kc reg one's are shite :thumbs:

That's what I'm afraid of. I refuse to get a shite one! Lot's of people breeding working staffs don't KC register them, and I see why they wouldn't bother. I know Ghostlyease does though. I'm willing to import from Australia too if it comes to that. There are a few countries where I can import a pup under 12 weeks, and both UK and Australia is possible. I want a young pup.

It is really too bad if it is really hard for dog fanciers to get a hold of a quality working staff, it really goes to show that the breed is quickly going down the drain. Too sad as they are a great breed in their original form.

post-18895-1218058347.jpg

Hi all

Thank you in advance!

Mari

my bitch" visa"s son is due to mate a crackin blue bitch.. If interested? pm me

Mari: Du burde sjekke ut kenneler i sverige. mye gammelt og godt blod der borte. Jeg skal høre med kontakter i Norge ang. staff for deg. Det finnes folk med bra hunder her i norge fra gamle irske, engelske og europa importer.

Absolutely...... :icon_eek:

colour means nothing in a breed of dog in my opinion other than people making money of blue ones colour means nothing every dog is a bit diffrent i owned not long ago a kc bitch from show stock and she was a very stocky built bitch and would have excelled in the show ring but thats not my game. i used to walk her 3 times a day she would run up and down a big hill with my whippets as this is what i do to keep there tummys tucked up tight she would also jump a 4 foot fence no probs and hang from a tyre half the day she wasnt from any special working like it was just how i brought her up she wasnt at all dog agressive and she would have made an ok dog for general mooching( flushing to whippetsetc) i think its like evreything a hit or a miss plus how u raise it but ghostly ease is deff a good star there dogs are always on the go so better than buying from something thats layn around eating bono's all day.

good luck and be sure to show us some picks of how you get on.

p.s the best sbt's iv ever seen were in belfast northern ireland i looked into going over for a coupl myself but couldnt find any breeders or details on line.

Hi all

Thank you in advance!

Mari

i think it is time maybe two try a bull greyhound 1 st cross but not a heavy one you want a racey one top drive speed stamia and jaws of death i have 2 and top dogs in and out of the house they take all quarry single handed and have a turn off button in doors :victory: tell me what you think
The wifes pet staff bitch 4 year old. Not kc reg. She is a pet and not worked. But I think this is the stamp you were on about. Staffman has some nice stuff. Some of this type are reg. with Intercontinental Kennel Club try www.edreid.co.uk
Thats a tidy athletic staffy ;)
Mari: Du burde sjekke ut kenneler i sverige. mye gammelt og godt blod der borte. Jeg skal høre med kontakter i Norge ang. staff for deg. Det finnes folk med bra hunder her i norge fra gamle irske, engelske og europa importer.

Vær så snill hold meg oppdatert PEM, og send gjerne en pm om du finner ut av noe. Evt mail til mcmari@gmail.com

Jeg hadde satt stor pris på all hjelp jeg kan få, det er ikke lett å finne noen som avler disse hundene slik de skal avles.

The wifes pet staff bitch 4 year old. Not kc reg. She is a pet and not worked. But I think this is the stamp you were on about. Staffman has some nice stuff. Some of this type are reg. with Intercontinental Kennel Club try www.edreid.co.uk

This is a very beautiful bitch! She looks to be right up my alley, very athletic. Add some working ability, KC paperwork to that and I'm ready to roar. :)

Thank you for all your replies. You are being very helpful.

I'm leaving for Japan for three weeks tomorrow, but please keep the replies coming. I'll be back as soon as I'm home.