tough rabbit

hiho

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone worked out how to prevent this yet? had one the other day got within 30yrds shot it clean in the head the bugger jumped and squirmed then fell still. i got up walked towards it after cocking my gun incase then somehow it jumped up and ran to its hole luckily it got caught in the fence so i could retrieve it. But if this happens im stuck the bunnys round me are never far from their warren so could easily run down their hole and die! i dont want this at all, when i shoot, the bunnys never just drop they nearly always squirm a bit or run a few yards. i saw a clip on you tube where you heard the gun and the bunny just jumped and that was it, and when i used a .22 rimfire the bunny just backfliped and that was it.

Try a heart shot?

When ever I have the opportunity for a side on shot I never go for the head, unless that's all I can see, I always go for the heart, just behind the shoulder and slightly low and your bang on. I have found over the years this shot to take rabbits 9 times out of 10, instantly, the odd one that does seem to run off lasts only a couple of yards and then falls.

Its the same for squirrels up trees, if I get a front on shot the cross hairs go in the middle of the chest, and this seems to lift them in the air and always dead on the ground, This method was shown to me years ago by an old rabbit man that I knew and it has always served me well.

The reason it works is this, when you take the behind the shoulder or chest shot whether your using a .22 or .177 pellet there is no chance of a deflection from the very hard bone of the scull, but because the pellet is hitting soft tissue, it retains its kinetic energy and as it penetrates it starts to flatten taking bone and flesh along with it to the heart, "

This causes "massive damage" this method does work, give it a go boys you might be surprised, I think that when you sometimes think that was a spot on head shot and the rabbits done its somersault and you think its dead on the spot whats really happened is that its a ricochet and that's why the little fecker gets up and runs off, this is only an opinion, all the best,

Rob. :thumbs:

This is my prefered shot I have had head shots were they are still breathing and had them were they make good there escape but the heart shot works for me allways ;)

i was out 1 day and i took a shot at a squirel. steamed it off the tree and it was still alive. it took 5 or 6 pellets to kill it. it was like a soilder couyldnt belive it lol

Thats humane

more humain than leaving it with a pellet in side of it.

more humane to snap its neck than to turn it into a pin cusion

went into a tree tho, unless you'd climb a tree... more shots is all you could do.