1/4 collie or 3/8??

Could any one with experiance of the 1/4 and 3/8 collie grey hound give me some info on the diferences between the two that you would expect ie. size, speed, general temprement and anything else that would be of interest.

Thanks again for your help

alex

Guest smashygadge

with the 3/8 you will get a little less speed a little more brain and maybe a calmer aproach to the quarry ,say if rabbits too close too hedgebacks walls etc the dog may think not to run when slipped some think they no more than the owner .ofwhich isnt a bad thing at times.with the 1/4 your maybe stepping up a little gear not much id say between the 2 .both have good and both have bad points 1/8 isnt alot in any dog as it wont breed to an exact percentage as one pup may throw more to the other anyway :thumbs: best of luck in your choice

thanks for your responce,

would i be right in saying the 3/8 would be slightly smaller? what sort on hight would you expect a bitch of both to make?

Also as i have other dogs would you advise more or less collie for a less quarrelsome charge?

cheers

alex

Guest smashygadge
thanks for your responce,

would i be right in saying the 3/8 would be slightly smaller? what sort on hight would you expect a bitch of both to make?

Also as i have other dogs would you advise more or less collie for a less quarrelsome charge?

cheers

alex

id average a 25tts hard to say depending on greyhound used mines standing 27/28tts and mine was a lurcher to lurcher cross both collie x and he has just towered over any of the dogs in the litter.and i have a good hand of dogs and never any quarrels with the collie x have od ones but nothing major aslong as all dogs are socailised if thats what your saying meening the dogs fighting.but id have a 3/8 collie anyday mate be nice steady dog :victory:

Both of those crosses are in my house. The 3/8 has more stamina, less speed, but fires up well when required, takes all quarry but not hare pe ban, 24'' to the shoulder. The 3/4 has alot more speed but not as much stamina, plenty of guts and took all quarry pre-ban, personally i would have the 3/4 over 3/8 as i think they are a better all rouner, the 3/4 is also 26'' to the shoulder.

I have always been a collie cross fan, in fact except for one beddy cross I have always had a collie cross in the kennels over the last 30 years, at the moment I have an old boy long past his best a collie whippet greyhound, and my rabbiting dog Mouse a little typ ratcher breed 3/8 collie bitch, I got this bitch of my rabbiting partner chipper last season aged 10 months, she had an exellent first season this is the first 3/8 I have had but it wont be the last, she has an exellent burst of speed some times a little to fast for the land we work in the dales with large rocks and very uneven land scape, I have more that once closed my eyes when she is away at speed, but to date has never come unstuck, brains and staminer to spaer, has a rabbiting dog I don't think this cross can be bettered, but maybe Im a little kennel blind, all the 3/8 collies I have seen are very even being around 23/24 tts

SANY0501.jpg

SANY0429.jpg

SANY0299.jpg

SANY0305.jpg

SANY0101-2.jpg

A little clip

http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/ee82/jo...nt=SANY0107.flv

I think because of the light framed collies Typp uses in his line, then you get an often smaller lighter framed lurcher.

My bitch is over half collie, under 22" and she is plenty fast enough for rabbits.

Best regards

Shepp

post-2672-1217683294_thumb.jpg

i've owned....and still do, both a 3/8ths and a 1/4..............and i would say it depends which side they throw to........my 3/8ths is faster than my 1/4..........both are about 23 inches at the shoulder........and both are as intelligent as the other....maybe the 1/4 slightly more intelligent...so its not necessarily the breeding it can and probably most likely is more to do with the dog.

hope that helps.

Yes i agree, with a 3/8 5/8 your crossing two lurchers together so the litter can much more easily throw in either direction, to the collie or greyhound. The 1/4 is a lurcher cross grey so i would say the pups are likely to be more even.