dog coming off

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

she is a booth nuttall cross and you are right the dog look death in the face every time they go to ground for us and we own it to them to get there and DIG to the end

i with you 100% on this post pal like to see a photo of her but it be a bad think to show it on here pal to menny dogooders

:thumbs::thumbs:

Personally ,i would have been embarassed to have to dig that last two foot to prove what i knew already .Cant be the first time hes killed underground surely .Seen it too many times to get in a strop about it .Dog comes away with a mouthful of charlie fur and refuses to re-enter .To the 10 minute crew ,lol,this could be seen as jacking but it would be they who dug the last bit to disprove it .Knowing your individual terriers working style is as big a part of terrier work as the breeding.Do you want to perpetuate it ?I wouldnt use a killer in a deep spot personally but thats just me.

Once worked a huge bale stack with a pest controller that was being paid for the job .I entered a killer ,reason being either a dead fox or a bolt ,no middle road .Dog showed after an hour and i boxed him but the farmer went off on one not believing me .I calmly explained the situation but he was having none of it and who could of blamed him really ,he didnt know the dog but i did .A loader was sent for while i sat in the truck ,drinking coffee.2 layers down and not one but 2 freshly dead foxes were uncovered,3 meters apart.Farmer had to coff up another £20 ,bet he wished hed kept his mouth shut :clapper: .

:thumbs: Nice :toast:

you cant have much faith in your terrier if you have to dig down to check its done its job every time you use it,and as for staying till you dig to it or stay till it dies that just makes it sound like your terriers good at getting stuck or taking to long to kill a fox,and as for a terrier needing to stay with a dead fox for a few hours while you dig down is ridiculess,and i doubt any dog would stay till it died if it wasnt trapped.

you cant have much faith in your terrier if you have to dig down to check its done its job every time you use it,and as for staying till you dig to it or stay till it dies that just makes it sound like your terriers good at getting stuck or taking to long to kill a fox,and as for a terrier needing to stay with a dead fox for a few hours while you dig down is ridiculess,and i doubt any dog would stay till it died if it wasnt trapped.

like i said if you dont see it you dont know if its dead or your dog quite period saying it came out so it must of killed it is just making excuses to keep trash dogs its called digging now what till it comes out there is another thread on here about low standerds and if you think a dog won't stay then you shoud cull all yours and start over how can anyone breed to a quitter and say it is a good breeding they are DIGGING DOGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:thumbs::thumbs:

Personally ,i would have been embarassed to have to dig that last two foot to prove what i knew already .Cant be the first time hes killed underground surely .Seen it too many times to get in a strop about it .Dog comes away with a mouthful of charlie fur and refuses to re-enter .To the 10 minute crew ,lol,this could be seen as jacking but it would be they who dug the last bit to disprove it .Knowing your individual terriers working style is as big a part of terrier work as the breeding.Do you want to perpetuate it ?I wouldnt use a killer in a deep spot personally but thats just me.

Once worked a huge bale stack with a pest controller that was being paid for the job .I entered a killer ,reason being either a dead fox or a bolt ,no middle road .Dog showed after an hour and i boxed him but the farmer went off on one not believing me .I calmly explained the situation but he was having none of it and who could of blamed him really ,he didnt know the dog but i did .A loader was sent for while i sat in the truck ,drinking coffee.2 layers down and not one but 2 freshly dead foxes were uncovered,3 meters apart.Farmer had to coff up another £20 ,bet he wished hed kept his mouth shut :clapper: .

:thumbs: Nice :toast:

I would have been embarassed that my dog came out dont finish the dig but add the dog to the back fill

mike 1 all people got diffrent opinions but what i think some people are saying is that they dogs have came out and when they dug down they found the fox dead and when thats the only time i dont think they are making excusses its just they now why the dogs came out but if say they dig down and find nothing then like you i would think about culling and change the breeding plans sorry if it comes a cross all aragant but i dont mean to affend any 1 im just writeing from my experince yis rich

There is a difference between a dog coming off, and a dog jacking.

Ive had terriers come out gasping for air, only to bolt back to ground and finnish the job.

Only last week my russel bitch was in a very tight clay drain pipe that runs under a railway line, had been under for 2 hours taking some stick and getting nowhere. She surfaced, crossed the line and dropped in the pipe from the other side and swiftly bolted the fox into the net. In some situations a dog cannot be expected to stay to ground indeffinately. It takes a smart dog to work some situations well.

the places you work your dogs in must all be digable to suit your terriers then,these type are of no use for crags and ouarries you would be leaving terriers in every hole,just out of interest how long would your terrier stay to ground with a dead fox.

the places you work your dogs in must all be digable to suit your terriers then,these type are of no use for crags and ouarries you would be leaving terriers in every hole,just out of interest how long would your terrier stay to ground with a dead fox.

till dug

There is a difference between a dog coming off, and a dog jacking.

Ive had terriers come out gasping for air, only to bolt back to ground and finnish the job.

Only last week my russel bitch was in a very tight clay drain pipe that runs under a railway line, had been under for 2 hours taking some stick and getting nowhere. She surfaced, crossed the line and dropped in the pipe from the other side and swiftly bolted the fox into the net. In some situations a dog cannot be expected to stay to ground indeffinately. It takes a smart dog to work some situations well.

yes they must be smart i have had them come out when they could not get to the game to go in a nother hole but once they have engaged they should stay

mike 1 all people got diffrent opinions but what i think some people are saying is that they dogs have came out and when they dug down they found the fox dead and when thats the only time i dont think they are making excusses its just they now why the dogs came out but if say they dig down and find nothing then like you i would think about culling and change the breeding plans sorry if it comes a cross all aragant but i dont mean to affend any 1 im just writeing from my experince yis rich

im not offended we are all just talking dog here but what i am saying if you dont dig dow and see if the dog has killed it then you are just taking a guess even if it has done it in the past you just never realy know imho

some intresting replies from all of you,s and a good read ,this thread is nearly a year and a half old and the dog is still going strong ,he was dug on friday twice and has been a good dog ,he,s sort of retired now and his belly sister was retired at weekend after her top pallet was smashed in half ,this has been a good line of terrier which i have had the pleasure of digging to over the last 10 years ,the bitch was bred from and a dog pup was kept ,who, is a good dog to .sadley after the breeding he found out that the bitch had a heart condition so was never put in pup again ,so he,s down to just one dog left out of this line ,i know the lad is searching every were for a black and tan pup(BITCH) with at least 3 generations of breeding behind it and has to be for fox so the size comes into it to ,so if anyone knows any good small black and tan pups for sale could you pm me and i,ll pass it on .....many thanks DF

im not offended we are all just talking dog here but what i am saying if you dont dig dow and see if the dog has killed it then you are just taking a guess even if it has done it in the past you just never realy know imho

IF YOU COULDNT OR DIDNT WANT TO DIG EVER THOUGHT OF LIGHTLY STOPPING THE ENTRANCE :doh: THEN GO BACK AND CHECK SEE IF MATEY HAS DUG OUT OR IS DEAD BELOW REGARDS DABBER