Hi guys yet another problem i am having with the pup. he is now 8.5months ish and is comming on great however he still insists on going crazy when he sees other dogs pulling the lead jumping around ect.. i see it as an exitment thing any ideas how i could cure this or [NO TEXT TALK] else had similar problems. the dog has been bitten on 2 occations now because of this. i was thinking a stick to dissaplin him with but i know jo public wouldnt like to see that

cheers folks

Hi guys yet another problem i am having with the pup. he is now 8.5months ish and is comming on great however he still insists on going crazy when he sees other dogs pulling the lead jumping around ect.. i see it as an exitment thing any ideas how i could cure this or [NO TEXT TALK] else had similar problems. the dog has been bitten on 2 occations now because of this. i was thinking a stick to dissaplin him with but i know jo public wouldnt like to see that

cheers folks

snap mate my pups the same age and was exactly the same a few months ago but i managed to turn her around by teaching her a realy strong 'leave' command start off by using it with toys food ect and build up to other things, dogs, people :thumbs:

cheers folks

I had a first x collie/ grey that was just like this. Obedience wise, he was fantastic, really easy to teach all the routines. He was also full of energy, as you would expect from a first x, but also very low on social confidence, and would be a real pain round other dogs, even dogs he knew, on home ground. The result of this was just the same as yours, going absolutely loopy, lungeing and starting fights. He so hyped up that physical restraint/ strong 'NO'/ choke chain would do nothing at all, in fact just make him even more nervy and yappy.

My solution was to avoid situations which would cause this behaviour, which was easy enough because I live in a rural area, so can avoid other dogs. However, if other dogs are unavoidable, my guess is that you are looking at some quite involved work to teach yours how to behave in that situation.

Could try a bit of saturation therapy ie take it were there are lots of dogs untill other dogs are the norm and so nothing to get excited about. This method used in conjunction with distraction and leave commands has worked for me, i rarely chase dogs anymore lol.

All of the above are good ideas,but,never hit a dog with a stick mate(or anything else for that matter),you will never get the best out of a dog that is scared of you.................Martin.

I have tryed afew of the ideas previously and have concluded it must be a puppyish behavor which he will grow out of. i can get the dog to sit within meters of other dogs but he has that much exitment to see and play with other dogs that he cant sit still.

i can get the dog to do almost anything i wish of him until another dog is preasent all he wants is to play QUESTION IS WILL HE GROW OUT OF THIS ??

thanks for the replys

yes he will grow out of it ,but i would suggest not to let him get distracted by them keep his interest in you and not other dogs

i will stick to it the lil begger is driving me crazy but i will sort him. thanks

is it ok to share my experience on this? i tried all sorts with mine too, bottle diatractors, using the word 'no' and meaning it! mine has also been attacked and bitten by two other dogs (one a police attack dog who lives in the same street) and wanted to have a go at other dogs nearby. I did a bit of reading and started to use a stick, not to hit him with, but to slap on the ground in front of him at the slightest suggestion of barking or going at other dogs, and saying at the same time 'leave it' in a sharp gutteral voice. the stick was a bender type that gave a 'slap' as it hit the floor. after a couple of days i was able to stop using the stick, (members of the public didn't object and one man wanted to be whipped so be warned) then a couple of days after that the odd reminder to 'leave it'. now he generally looks but does not respond to other dogs, i still give the odd reminder (except the attack dog cuz he gets in the first barks and for obvious reasons the handler won't do anything to stop this behaviour). just a suggestion mind.

• 2 weeks later...

cheers folks

Hi Steve,

I am just wondering what your own reaction is when this happens. If you start making a fuss , pulling him back on the lead, shouting at him etc. you are giving him attention (negative).

What i would try doing is when you see another dog comming stay clam ,say nothing and keep walking, when he does make a lunge give 1 sharp pull on the lead and say "NO" and keep walking forward.

Stay calm ! if you get excited and anxious the dog will too.

DONT USE THE STICK !!!!.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Shane.